CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Upgrading Mitek VMB-30F with AllIn1DC

Post by tm-todd »

Hi,

I am a member of a non-profit makerspace in Colorado. I am co-captain of the machine shop and we have a donated Mitek VMB-30F bed mill CNC that works well for us, but we have been limping along with its Vickers Acramatic 2100 controller for a few years. We are looking to upgrade the control to a Centroid Allin1DC.

I've watched all the videos and read all the manuals and feel it is something we could tackle. I do have some very specific questions I want to confirm. The machine has Glentek GM4050-38 DC servo motors. It also has Glentek servo drives. I am thinking that it might be better to abandon the Glentek drives and use the built-in drives of the Allin1DC. The motor nameplate and spec lists the motor's continuous stall rating as 41.3 lb-in and 12.9 amps. The peak stall rating is 206.5 lb-in and 64.5 amps. Am I correct, when determining whether the motor is appropriate for the 15A max output of the Allin1DC that I should be looking at continuous stall not peak? Put more simply, will the GM4050-38 motors work with the Allin1DC?

Thanks,
Todd
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Upgrading Mitek VMB-30F with AllIn1DC

Post by eng199 »

tm-todd wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 pm The motor nameplate and spec lists the motor's continuous stall rating as 41.3 lb-in and 12.9 amps. The peak stall rating is 206.5 lb-in and 64.5 amps. Am I correct, when determining whether the motor is appropriate for the 15A max output of the Allin1DC that I should be looking at continuous stall not peak? Put more simply, will the GM4050-38 motors work with the Allin1DC?
That will work with ALLIN1DC. Ideally, I would set the drive current to twice the continuous stall current. As long as you are not trying to get maximum performance to shave a few seconds off programs, 15A will be fine.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Upgrading Mitek VMB-30F with AllIn1DC

Post by martyscncgarage »

tm-todd wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 pm Hi,

I am a member of a non-profit makerspace in Colorado. I am co-captain of the machine shop and we have a donated Mitek VMB-30F bed mill CNC that works well for us, but we have been limping along with its Vickers Acramatic 2100 controller for a few years. We are looking to upgrade the control to a Centroid Allin1DC.

I've watched all the videos and read all the manuals and feel it is something we could tackle. I do have some very specific questions I want to confirm. The machine has Glentek GM4050-38 DC servo motors. It also has Glentek servo drives. I am thinking that it might be better to abandon the Glentek drives and use the built-in drives of the Allin1DC. The motor nameplate and spec lists the motor's continuous stall rating as 41.3 lb-in and 12.9 amps. The peak stall rating is 206.5 lb-in and 64.5 amps. Am I correct, when determining whether the motor is appropriate for the 15A max output of the Allin1DC that I should be looking at continuous stall not peak? Put more simply, will the GM4050-38 motors work with the Allin1DC?

Thanks,
Todd
Yes, use All in One DC which has 3 built in DC Servo amplifiers. You will abandon the Glentek servo drives. Take video of the machine running and then sell the drives on ebay to help offset your costs. Matt (Eng199) already confirmed you should be ok reusing your servo motors. Keep in mind you will likely have to upgrade the encoders in the servo motors and abandon the Tachs in the motors.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ