Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

How to make axis acceleration faster?

Post by ashesman »

How do you make axis acceleration faster?

The default value is quite sluggish. I tried changing the values in the jog settings but they didn't seem to change acceleration. I tried parameter 231 and it didn't help but then later realised it was for smoothing!

I don't know if it is the Oak or DYN4 limiting acceleration. I have asked DMM.

The OEM controller accelerated to full speed in 100ms. Hard to measure but I think currently it is 700ms or more now. A move of 8 inches doesn't even reach full rapid speed, 12 inches does.
cncsnw

Re: How to make axis acceleration faster?

Post by cncsnw »

On the PID Configuration screen, reduce the Accel Time values.

That is the time, in seconds, that the axis will take to accelerate to, or decelerate from, the Max Rate that you set on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:53 am On the PID Configuration screen, reduce the Accel Time values.

That is the time, in seconds, that the axis will take to accelerate to, or decelerate from, the Max Rate that you set on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table.
Perfect, thanks.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

So I did try changing the acceleration settings. It worked as expected. It gets up to rapid speed and stops much faster.

The OEM controller was set to 100ms (to max speed). You couldn't really notice the acceleration and deceleration. It just appeared to start then stop. It was smooth and quiet.

If I try go below 200ms on the Oak, it starts to be harsh and bang. 200ms is OK. BUT, at 200 ms, small movements and jogging is harsh and bangs. Even homing bangs as it changes direction.

I assume Centroid does not use an S curve for acceleration, but rather a linear ramp? Does anybody have any insight into this?