KiloOne
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

4th axis - motor hums and can be turned by hand and encoder updates position

Post by KiloOne »

I have added a 4th axis to a DC310b with a DC1.

1. The Mach3 4th axis position updates when the servo motor is turned by hand
2. With E-stop released, motor hums but won't hold position, can be easily turned by hand while humming.
3. 3.3v and 5.5v green leds are lit on the DC1
4. Red LED1 of DC1 reads '1'
5. Motor input volts to DC1 with E-stop released is 100 VDC
6. DC310b is connected to DC1 from 'DC310c H15 Drive Com. Output' to 'DC1 Drive Com IN'

What could be the cause of having no holding torque?
KiloOne

Re: 4th axis - motor hums and can be turned by hand and encoder updates position

Post by KiloOne »

Additional info:

7. The hum on the servo motor power leads is caused by a 15.6 khz 50% duty cycle square wave from about -100VDC to about +100VDC.

Voltage on my oscilloscope: [media]http://www.galaxyapps.us/A-axis-hum.jpg[/media]

8. After a few seconds all drives click OFF and the Mach3 error is to the effect 'A-axis not moving with full power applied'

9. In the few seconds before that error, I can easily rotate the motor by hand and the A-axis position DOES NOT update at all.

10. If I move the A-axis motor far enough while it is humming, all drives click OFF with the Mach3 error 'A-axis position error'
cncsnw

Re: 4th axis - motor hums and can be turned by hand and encoder updates position

Post by cncsnw »

I can't help you with Mach3.

With the Centroid "DriveBus" hardware, when you add a DC1 to a DC3IOB, the DC1 becomes axis drive #1, and the three outputs on the DC3IOB become axis drives #2, #3 and #4. That is why the LED on the DC1 shows "1", and the LED on the DC3IOB now shows "2".

You might need to make some configuration changes to tell your software which drives to use for which axes.
KiloOne

Post by KiloOne »

I think you may be on to something, I have not found a guide yet for the Mach3 settings needed to connect a 4th axis DC1 on a DC310b.

I hate going in and making parameter changes 'in the dark' but I may have to.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You could try connecting your X motor to the DC1; Y to the first output on the DC3IOB; Z to the middle output on the DC3IOB; and fourth axis to the third output on the DC3IOB.

Then test it without making any parameter changes.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

KiloOne wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 pm I have not found a guide yet for the Mach3 settings needed to connect a 4th axis DC1 on a DC310b.
Attached is the manual that came with mine. It does tell you how to configure a 4th axis.
Ajax Mach3 Based CNC Kit Operators Manual.pdf
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
I purchased mine with the Mach3, but after running the demo of CNC11 there was no way I was going back to Mach, even after using Mach on a different machine for the prior 10 years. CNC11 was a much more mature product and it ran rock solid unlike quirky Mach. You might want to consider upgrading.
KiloOne

Post by KiloOne »

Thanks for the manual.

Chapter "4.30 Fourth Axis Setup" showed me where to assign the drive numbers to solve the drive number 'shifting' issue by setting order to 2341 (encoder numbers needed to be left at order 1234, counter to this manual though).

Thanks for the tip on CNC11, I will for sure investigate.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103

Post by polaraligned »

Glad I could help.

They are on CNC12 now which they want on a Windows 10 machine, but it ran fine for me on a Win 7 machine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running CNC11, which I am sure they will still sell to you. I actually liked it better than CNC12 because it was faster and had less little issues which I blame on the Win 10. Only reason I upgraded to CNC12 was to get probing...But CNC11 was rock solid.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I would dump Mach3 quickly and take the time to update the machine to CNC12. Learn it, you will be MUCH happier!
Can you go to your C drive, look for a CNCM Directory, look in the REPORTBACKUP directory and post the newest file in there?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

You will find some tutorials on YouTube that show the Centroid software, they still apply. Search Centroid Mill Training
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ