Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Milltronics MB24

Post by S-K Machine »

Ordered Gates belts. Out of stock. Apparently Gates is experiencing unprecedented raw material and supply chain lead time issues.
They offered a Megadyne sub.
Are they good belts or should I try and look around some more for gates old stock.

Thanks

Jeff
Titleiiarms
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

Did u try Mcmaster. They carry them.

https://www.mcmaster.com/gates-timing-belts/
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
S-K Machine
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by S-K Machine »

Thanks Guy. I did try them but they could not guarantee vendor source. I went with the megadyne. They seem like good quality belts.
Well the machine is running and moving on it's own power! Everything seems to be working so far.
Every servo was giving a stall error. I did have to reverse the motor leads on every one which I found strange.
I know I did the polarity correct during the re-wire. I did have to also change direction in the software for the Y axis, the other 2 were fine.
I setup the DRO , the limit switches and a quick autotune on the servos.
That seemed to stop the power error the software was giving if the motors idled too long. I will fine tune them at the end.
I did run the system test before I went home friday. It did almost pass except for the X which gave the too close to encoder pulse error.
I need to un-belt and move the pulley 1/2 turn this week and try it again. But so far so good.

I do have a few questions. The instructions are somewhat vague on this one.
On the spindle setup, the software says for a backgear that it needs to be a negative value. This machine has a 8 to 1 reduction.
On Parameter 65 I tried .125 but I do not think it is correct. Is it supposed to be set at maximum speed in low gear, but a negative value? I.E. -500
I did also notice that it has an A next to the speed. Is it supposed to say RPM? And when you do flip it back gear, is there anything on the screen that tells you you are in backgear.

I just received the cables for the rotary this week form centroid. I have the rotary all wired up already I need to get back in the cabinet and get the pigtail hooked up. Hopefully I will be out of the cabinet for good soon and just working with the software side on the fine tuning.

Thanks again everyone here. I am extremely happy with the results so far.

Jeff
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

With 8 to 1 reduction, and a Bridgeport-style back-gear mechanism, Parameter 65 should be -0.125.

The value (absolute value) of P65 is the fraction of high-range speed that you get when you are in low range instead.

If you make P65 negative, then the PLC will reverse the motor direction when in low range.

Your range-detect switch (usually INP13) should be open (red) in high range, and closed (green) in low range.
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

Thanks Marc. I was close. I had .125 not -.125.
Yes input 13 changes on the real-time I/O display . In the schematic it shows the switch N/C. I have it closed for high.
I could remount the switch to trigger low. That is how it was and I moved it.
What I am asking is on the main screen does anything show up that says you are in low?
And does it always say A next to the speed and not RPM?

Thanks.
Jeff
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

No, there is nothing on the main screen that directly tells you what range you are in.

You can use the Alt-i display to view whatever PLC word variable your PLC program uses for SpindleRange_W. In my PLC programs, and most factory programs from 2011 - 2018 SpindleRange_W was on W24. Some newer factory programs have moved it up to W29 or W64 or elsewhere. You would have to look in your particular PLC program source to see which variable is used.

On a mill with just high and low range, SpindleRange_W will be 4 in high range, and 1 in low range.

The "A" in the status window tells you that spindle control is in Auto mode. If you press the Spindle Auto/Man key on the jog panel to switch to Manual mode, then you will see an "M" there instead.
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

Thank you Marc once again.
I moved the switch back to trigger the arm when in back gear and inputted -.125 and it functions perfect.
I was under the assumption it needed to stay closed as the schematic shows N/C . No big deal.
I also re-belted the x pulley 1/2 turn and that squashed the encoder too close failure.

Okay so now comes the fun........
I have most the rotary wired to start testing this week. But we have a snag that I think I can work around.
I did get a layout from haas of the limit switch wiring.
Haas.png
Haas.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
It took talking to a few people there till one of them could answer my question of voltage. It is 5 vdc, not 24 vdc.
So what I am going to do is make a quick circuit up on some breadboard I have using a 7805 voltage regulator.
It will input 24vdc and output 5vdc. I am a bit concerned about connecting it to the allin1,as I am sinking the grounds.
Maybe I can put a diode inline with the return ground.
I will test this with it NOT connected to the allin1 to make sure it does feed not any voltage back.
My other thought was to use a small pc board style relay but it stills uses the same ground.
Worst case is the rotary runs with no home switch. It was never hooked up before, I found the wire just laying inside.
Any thoughts???

Thanks.
Jeff
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

We are up and running!
20211025_134856.jpg
Cabinet is finished at last!
20211025_134910.jpg
20211025_134925.jpg
I made a small circuit to drop the 24vdc to 5vdc from a 7805 regulator and some caps with a heat sink. This is for the haas rotary home switch circuit.
20211025_134918.jpg
I had a meter on both the allin1 and the haas when connected and there is no voltage feedback from the ground which was my concern.
I did have to swap the plumbing lines around inside the rotary.M10 was releasing and M11 was locking.
They must do something to invert it in their control. All functions as it should now.
20211025_145111.jpg
Now it on to fine tuning the home switch's so it passes the system test.
And I think I am going to make a new VCP, I am not so excited with the first one I did.

Again thanks for everyone's help here, especially marc.

Jeff
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice work!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
S-K Machine

Post by S-K Machine »

Thank you Marty.
Your videos have been a great help!
The only hurdle I need to conquer this week is that system test. It seems very touchy on where it wants the limits set.
I tried it a few times, thought I was getting closer but yet still failed...lol

But I will get it sorted out this week.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Jeff