CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF6216B7-0206214337
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DC Motor Upgrade

Post by lderoo »

Hello,

Planning out a retrofit to a waterjet cutter. Will use an OAK because AC Servos for X and Y axes. Currently the Z axis is manually driven up and down with buttons at the operator console. See pictures of Z Axis and motor.

We'd like to have the ability to control the Z height with the wireless MPG pendant.

I've considered the following Options:

A) replace the drive with a closed loop stepper. However I can't drive stepper driver with the OAK.
B) replace the motor with a servo and AC drive. More expensive than I'd like, but would give us full control and show the position output. Would be able to use a touch probe for setting height above plate too.
C) keep the OEM Motor and connect the manual operator switches to output relays on the OAK. WIll I be able to use the custom buttons on the MPG to operate these UP and DOWN relays?
D) If I add a scale to the axis will this let me do position control of the axis in conjunction with option C?

wwzOoPkQ.jpeg
kZWhNxQg.jpeg
0CchqMfw.jpeg
DC Motor Controller.jpg
cncsnw

Re: DC Motor Upgrade

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, you can program the PLC to activate output relays in response to wireless MPG buttons. If I were doing that, I would make it respond to the "Jog +" and "Jog -" buttons when the axis selector switch is in the Z position.

If you added an encoder on the motor -- or perhaps a linear scale, provided that there is little or no mechanical slop in the drive train -- then you might be able to set it up as a servo axis. You will have to look carefully at whether isolation is needed for the analog signal coming from Oak and going to the KB controller (other posts on this forum indicate such isolation is needed when they are used as spindle drives; if so, the same probably applies when using them as servo drives).