Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Actualizacion EMCO VCM 300

Post by ashesman »

You can read the spindle encoder position in the PLC. The Oak has no control over spindle position. At best it can set an output to tell the VFD to orient.

All of your tool change can be achieved using macro programming and PLC control except I am unsure about that spindle control. If your drive can do it, maybe you are better to drive your spindle as a fourth axis so you can position it. If the drive can do orientation, it can probably do position control.

Using the limit switches you can rotate the spindle motor and stop when a switch is detected but there will be delays and inconsistencies. The more you understand about what all the switches on the tool rack do the better. There should be at least an index or tool 1 signal, a pulse for each tool so it can count carousel position and maybe others for each tool in place and safety.

A video of it working or some pictures would help to understand

I would suggest working out how to get the spindle to drive that carousel to position before going much further with tool changing.
Oscar6
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901029

Post by Oscar6 »

Hi, I will try to take a photo of the mechanism but I think it will not be appreciated much as it is very hidden, I will see if I can climb on top of the machine and I can see from there, on page (b4) of this manual(https://es.calameo.com/books/003178067af7a4722d6c5) explains how the tool changer works. I have also read in the variator manual that 15 motor positions can be achieved by bridging 4 inputs but since it is in English I do not understand very well, here you can download the manual manual (https://industrialautomation.delta-emea ... s-2731.htm) and on the page (12.1-04-1) to say something about that, I don't know if it is correct, I will continue studying it and this weekend I will try to do some test. Thanks
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Oscar, I think you will have a bit of a challenge getting that tool changer working. Not saying its impossible.
If it were me, I would get the machine running without the tool changer and then concentrate on trying to make it work. You will have to modify the PLC.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Oscar6

Post by Oscar6 »

Hello Marty, I am going to do exactly what you tell me, I will be conditioning the machine little by little, but there is no harm in looking for information for when the time comes, about the tool changer I am 100x100 sure that it will work, I would even say that it already works , I have made several tool changes manually positioning the tool with the variator pins, the electronics and the programming will do the rest, the easiest way would be as ashesman says using the spindle as the fourth axis, but I will try not to sacrifice the fourth axis of the oka plate in case in the future I decide to put a fourth axis, I think the other way to solve the problem is for the variator to take care of the positioning of the drum, which I think is possible, and for the drum sensors to only be used as safety of that everything is correct, but who has to decide what is the best way to do it is who has to program the plc, Marty you told me that there was someone who could If he would be in charge of modifying the plc, it would be good to contact him if he has experience in oka board and for him to study the system to find the best solution. I don't know if my English is good and what I write is understood. Say something to me. Thanks
Oscar6

Post by Oscar6 »

Good, in the end I have decided on the Delta motor controllers, but I have a doubt and it is that there are five different models and I am not sure which one to choose, I think the models (U, L) can help me to see if someone will used these drivers and can you give me an advice which one to choose for the OKA board, I put a picture of the models. Thanks
Sin título.jpg
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Looks to me like you need the L or U model. Whichever is cheapest. You dont need any networking models. The Oak only supports dumb signaling with pulse or analog. It doesnt support any networking.
Oscar6

Post by Oscar6 »

Thank you, I will look at those models, to see if next month I can buy them, for the z axis I will use 1.5kw and for the y x I will use 1kw three-phase 380v, I think it will be enough, the factory motors were not that powerful, thanks again.
martyscncgarage

I'd be careful putting on such a large motor on the machine. You should consider sticking closer to what the machine originally had or slightly larger. Remember Emco Engineered it that way. Likely it had stepper motors? If so, I'd stick closer to what it had. Stepper motors are sized larger with a safety factor of 20-30%

Just my opinion.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Oscar6

Post by Oscar6 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:14 am I'd be careful putting on such a large motor on the machine. You should consider sticking closer to what the machine originally had or slightly larger. Remember Emco Engineered it that way. Likely it had stepper motors? If so, I'd stick closer to what it had. Stepper motors are sized larger with a safety factor of 20-30%

Just my opinion.
Marty
Hello Marty, the machine originally had synchronous servo motors, there are some photos of the motor data at the beginning of the topic, but I put them again and their technical data,
Z,3,2 Nm
servo z .jpg
X,Y 1,7 Nm
servo x y.jpg
datos motor.jpg
I am also going to put the data of the delta motors, which I think can be used, anyway the motors seem to be the same size, the only thing that seems to have more N-M.
motor delta.jpg
I could put in x axes, and 750w motors but they seem smaller than the originals and I am afraid of falling a little short.
Would you advise me, it would not be better if they are a little more powerful and then that the electronics take care of managing the power, I do not know if the oka board will be able to make the motors work as one wants regardless of the power, I don't know much about motors , I listen to opinions. Thanks
martyscncgarage

Follow what the manufacturer used. I could see a larger motor on the Z axis not being counter balanced and the weight of that tool changer.

Your X/Y were only .48KW You are TRIPLING that.

I did a large FADAL Bed mill and it didn't have a 1.5kw motor on the Z un counter balanced.
Hope your XY ballscrews are large diameter. Hate to see you break something.....

Your machine, do what you feel is best. We are here to offer suggestions. It is your personal decision what you choose to do with your build.

Marty
Mesa, AZ