Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Servo Drive Options

Post by martyscncgarage »

Asheman, so am I reading correctly you are driving your old motors with the DYN4 drives?
Not so sure I would have gone this route.

If you want the performance of the old setup, search for quality motors and drives MATCHING or EXCEEDING the performance of the original ones that will work with Oak.

You could certainly try a DMM motor, if memory serves they will turn 5Krpm at 240V. Buy ONE and try it, order the motor and encoder cables. Double check with DMM (If I were testing it, I would put it on the Z axis)

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ashesman »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:07 am Asheman, so am I reading correctly you are driving your old motors with the DYN4 drives?
Not so sure I would have gone this route.
Marty
Before I started I gave DMM all the info they needed and they said it would be all good. They sent encoder adapters and everything I needed. The DYN4 drives do drive the motors. But I just can't tune them well enough to get the speeds or rigidity I want. DMM have been fully supportive and helpful along the way. The hardware and power is there in the DYN4, but just not the configurability.

I don't think DMM have a motor that will fit my machine due to physical space constraints but I am working on that still.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

So, I gave up on my motors. Really annoys me having to do this. They are exactly correct for the job, are in good condition and fit the machine. But there are no servo drives that can use incremental encoders that are not crazy expensive.

I have purchased DMM motors and will modify the machine to make them fit. They don't have an exact fit motor. Mine are 120mm frame 750W. Their 130mm frame 1kW motors have the same shaft size and locating boss but the mounting holes are spaced further out. In fact they are half a hole out just to be difficult. The 1kW motor is also a bit longer so will hit the back panel which will need to be modified. The motor mounting holes will need to be slotted and the machine will need new holes drilled and tapped.

I will definitely clamp one in first and test it before a start drilling. God I hope they work!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ashesman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 am So, I gave up on my motors. Really annoys me having to do this. They are exactly correct for the job, are in good condition and fit the machine. But there are no servo drives that can use incremental encoders that are not crazy expensive.

I have purchased DMM motors and will modify the machine to make them fit. They don't have an exact fit motor. Mine are 120mm frame 750W. Their 130mm frame 1kW motors have the same shaft size and locating boss but the mounting holes are spaced further out. In fact they are half a hole out just to be difficult. The 1kW motor is also a bit longer so will hit the back panel which will need to be modified. The motor mounting holes will need to be slotted and the machine will need new holes drilled and tapped.

I will definitely clamp one in first and test it before a start drilling. God I hope they work!
Did you buy the DMM --> OAK signal cables from DMM?
Wishing you luck!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

[quote=martyscncgarage post_id=52545 time=1626442978 user_id=555
Did you buy the DMM --> OAK signal cables from DMM?
Wishing you luck!
Marty
[/quote]

Yup, I have had them from the start. Given that I need to shorten them by half the length and rewire them anyway I am not sure they added a lot of value but got me going quickly. They only use six wires on the DMM for control and eight for encoder so not a lot of work to shorten. Plus I hate that they use the cheapest plastic DB connectors they could buy. The same connectors are available in metal for a few $ more. The 9 pin connecotr with one screw scares me too!

I think I will also hook up the motor current output from the drive for the Oaks axis load input. It is the crossest thing that drive offers to a load indication.