Bridgeport Series 1 CNC conversion to Acorn etc.

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

jim2000
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport Series 1 CNC conversion to Acorn etc.

Post by jim2000 »

about a year ago I bought a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC machine with the AHA CNC program installed on it. I tried to get the program working to suit my minimal needs. After playing around with the AHA I decided to upgrade to a Acorn board with the free 12 program. I purchased the centroid acorn along with the centroid computer and the 21 inch touchscreen. Had a little trouble installing the software and get to talk to the net but with a little help, was solved in a couple tries. I have a manual Bridgeport and with what we had to do it was enough for the few parts we needed. But now it is time to upgrade the series 1 to a centroid cnc machine. I only need it for a few parts but the parts I need can't be done with the manual machine. I want to use the original drives from the machine they are 4 wire steppers with the big heat sink fins(bipolar?) from the books the motors are max 56 V @ 8 amps max. I measured the voltage at the input to the AHA driver cards it's 50V parallel 3 driver cards from the transformer (pic included). I am sure that this has been done many times before so please let me know what the best driver is to install the old stepper motors, (I purchased a Gecko Raptor GR214V to try) am willing to purchase any other driver that will work. My other question is, has anyone used the AHA motor driver boards with the Acorn motherboard? I do know that the cnc 12 is a windows 10 capable program and I do know that the AHA is a DOS program.

Once the steppers are installed on my Series one machine I will upgrade to Acorn digitizing bundle, which includes the Pro.
Please feel free to ask for info if my wording is not explicit enough.
Jim
863 633 8975
jimhorvath2000@yahoo.com
Attachments
IMG_4659 (1).JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Bridgeport Series 1 CNC conversion to Acorn etc.

Post by martyscncgarage »

Hi Jim,
Are you asking for advice on a Bridgeport Series 1/AHA! conversion to Acorn project?
Somehow in your post, it sounded like you already did it, but then said something about a manual mill.
You have an Acorn, All in One PC but not installed yet and you bought it for the Series 1 Aha! Project?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

You posted in the Centroid Oak, All in One DC, MPU11, Legacy forum.
Are you doing an Acorn conversion or wanting to remove everything and go with Oak or All in One DC and new servos motors?
What is your budget for this project? Sounds like you will use the machine infrequently....

Clarification would help.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
jim2000

Post by jim2000 »

Hi Marty!
I bought (1 1/2) year ago the Series 1 CNC with the defunct AHA program and the AHA cabinet. It did or does work somewhat. But I wanted to upgrade it to a modern CNC machine, bought the Acorn Board, the free 12 program and the 24 V power supply along with it, NUC CNCPC computer, downloaded the free 12 program onto it and installed it on the bench.
Since I have a manual Bridgeport to make what we needed all was ok. But we need to make some things that cant be made on the manual CNC machine its time to convert the Series 1 to a modern machine. We will probably use it 2 to 4 days a year. We will have to upgrade to the full digitizing bundle. I want to keep the old motors(have 3xtra spares) from the machine with the cooling fins(I believe they are nema 42- 4 wire motors. Gecko GR214V should work on them). Could you give me your thoughts on my project?
martyscncgarage

Yes, for an infrequently used machine (you might find you use it more when you get used to the control and learn to use INTERCON, Conversational programming) I think Acorn and keeping the existing steppers should be OK.
You say you did CONFIRM the power supply voltage to the existing AHA! drivers?
You might keep the power supply and reuse it with the GR214V drives. Otherwise antekinc.com is a good source for a power supply.
You will need to find out the current for the stepper motors. The AHA! control might offer a clue if you have documentation for it.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
jim2000

Post by jim2000 »

Marty.
I just re checked the power from the AHA transformer going to the AHA driver boards and its 50VDC, does Acorn do DC for the motors or do I have to change to the Oak CNC Controller, or the ALL in 1 controller?
jim2000

Post by jim2000 »

Marty,
I just don't want to change the motors and the pulleys.
martyscncgarage

Acorn provides step and direction signals to the Gecko GR214v drives. Keep your motors and use the Geckodrives to drive them.

You could buy a new power supply, but you need to find specs on the existing stepper motors. You need to know the current and inductance so you know how to setup the drives and size the power supply. You know they will work at 50vdc. I don't know what the DC buss voltage was for the original steppers. You can search the forum for Bridgeport Boss steppers. It's been done before.
Mesa, AZ
jim2000

Post by jim2000 »

Thank you, you helped a lot, putting me in the right direction
jim2000

Post by jim2000 »

I just want to make sure that you did say that Acorn provides step and direction signals to the gecko GR214V drives to drive my DC motors.