Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Is homing configurable?

Post by ashesman »

My machine has only one home switch on the positive end of each axis and no limit switches.

The Oak uses the first edge of the home switch dog that it encounters. The dogs are quite wide, around 40mm. Meaning the Oak homes at about 40mm shy of where the OEM controller used to. If the machine is turned off and an axis was past this point, starting a homing process next power up will cause a crash.

The OEM controller would go past the dog and home on the trailing edge. The trailing edge of the dogs are placed near the positive end of each axis travel. This meant it homed very near the end of travel. It was a requirement to jog each axis slightly -ve before it would allow jogging in the positive direction to home. This was to ensure if you were past the home switches, you had to jog negative back on to them first.

Having the Oak home on the leading edge means my travel limits are say -260 to +40. Not a problem, but I would have really liked my home position to be at one end of axis travel so limits would be -300 to 0. A minor detail really, but easier for me to think in machine coords when they start at 0!

I didn't see any settings to allow configuration of homing. Is there anything that can be configured? Like the offset position of home switches?

Obviously I could make new dogs to offset the leading edge of the switch to where I would like them to be which would help make sure the machine could less easily be turned off on the wrong side of the home switches but a software solution would be nicer.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Is homing configurable?

Post by tblough »

Nothing in the control can be changed. You need to move the trip dogs. What you have is not a home switch, but a limit switch and therefore it should be placed at the limit of travel.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.