Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 104036
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool offset question

Post by Jimmy »

Hello, new member here. This may be a stupid question but my grandpa used to say the only stupid question is one that's never asked so here goes.

First I should say I am new to CNC machines, I've worked on older Browne & Sharpe turret head lathes making bolts & screws and old Bridgeport mills but CNC is new a new trick for this old dog.
Second, google is pissing me off, it won't allow me to open a new account so I can upload pictures so I'll try and be very clear on what I need help with
for now, I'll deal with that later.

I have a new job here in the Maintenance dept. We make IOL's for cataract surgery patients. Most of our lathes are DAC series III/2's still using the OEM s/w. and we machine acrylic parts. very small parts.
We recently had one lathe retrofitted with all new motors, controller and CNC12 s/w, V4.14 with a T400 console. The tech we contracted with set up the machine tools with our lead machinist, then a new operator promptly crashed it by forgetting to load a part into the collet.
Now I am being tasked with setting it back up, after a problem with the s/w was discovered.

Bottom line is, the tech that set up the machine added a tool calibration program into the machine that doesn't work setting up the X axis offsets.
Our older DAC lathes s/w has a procedure for resetting the tool height & offsets after changing the cutter or a machine crash.

This calibration procedure relies on locating the center of the part, since the O.D. of the acrylic blanks are never exactly the same. 16mm +/- .006.

The machine will make a very small face cut, then scribe a line on the acrylic blank showing the tool position. The operator then observes the line on an optical comparator, measures the distance off center, then enters that number into the machine program.

The Centroid s/w on the new DAC lathe, the programmer that wrote the add-on tool calibration program assures me that if I simply enter this offset number into the Centroid "Tool Library" screen offset column, then hit F10. I should be golden.
It doesn't work. And from what I've read in the manual, part 0 needs to be set first.
This add on tool calibration program seems to have some disconnect for X axis offsets with our lens CNC program, the diameter ends up too small.

SO I guess my question is, if our program relies on finding the part center ? how can I use the tool set up procedure in the manual for the X axis if the part O.D. isn't consistent ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. any other way to include pictures besides Google URL ?
Last edited by Jimmy on Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Tool offset question

Post by polaraligned »

Jimmy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:45 pm
P.S. any other way to include pictures besides Google URL ?
I am not a lathe guy, so I will leave that for others.
To attach a picture, when you respond, click on "Full editor and preview". Just below the box you type in you will see a tab that says "attachments". It is there that you will attach your picture.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Thank you Sir !
here are pictures of the add-on tool calibration program applet, It is linked to the "Aux-3" button, the lens blanks in the lathe collet ready for the first rough face cut and the finished product.
small radius lens on the left, normal lens radius on the right.
Attachments
tool cal.jpg
blank.jpg
lens.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I wrote those routines.

In early 2018, D.L. contracted with me to work with V.G. at your company, to work out procedures to run the lenses with the Centroid control. By April of 2018 it appeared that most functions were working as desired.

Unfortunately, VG was unable to continue working on the project, to the point of fully documenting the procedures and testing production under a wider range of conditions. So now there are wrinkles to iron out, and a shortage of people willing and able to say exactly what the requirements are.

Three points, as far as I can recall:
1) The "Calibrate X Offset" procedure is for small adjustments, not for initial setup of new tooling
2) For initial setup, you would use one of the standard procedures in the Centroid manual or on my page:
http://www.cncsnw.com/OLEL.htm
3) When you use the "Calibrate X Offset" procedure, and arrive at an error amount that needs to be corrected,
you need to change the tool's offset incrementally by that amount (and not just enter the amount as the offset).
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Is this Marc ?
Boy I could really use your help ! of all the people to reply, the guy who wrote the program. this is awesome.
I have so many questions.
Yes Victor was unable to continue, So I have been asked to help Lily get this problem solved. I am more than willing to help in any way I can.
I've been working on the last two retrofits with D. unfortunately I just became aware of this issue and was not aware the s/w was an add-on until last week, which has me totally confused.
If you are willing, would you please contact me here so we can discuss ?
james.fraze@aareninc.com
thank you very much !
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Resolved: ended up being an error in the part program.