CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

LINEAR INTERLOPATION ON G00 MOVE?

Post by VPM »

Hi,

I am writing a program for a lathe where the tool is cutting a taper down in an undercut, and I need to take several passes to remove the required material. I want to rapid between passes, but need to move the cutter in both x and z with a rapid move to setup for the next cut. If the machine moves both axis at their individual maximum speeds, there is a possibility the path will not be linear, and the cutter will collide with the material. Is there a way to program a rapid move so the path will remain linear as it does in a feed move? I know on a FANUC controller parameter "1401 bit 1" will force the rapid moves to linear interlopate by slowing down the faster / axis with a shorter programmed move, to match the maximum feedrate of the other axis, so the move will remain linear.
If this is not possible, I could instead program a feed move at a high feed speed. I am fairly certain the maximum feed speed is going to be slower than the maximum rapid speed, so it will slow down the cycle time a bit, but would still get the job done. How will the controller respond if a programmed feedrate is above the maximum allowed feedrate set in the machine parameters?
I am not at the machine right now, so am unable to post the info / pics of my centroid oak setup, however my question is not related to a particular setup, but rather the logic of the centroid software itself. I appreciate any feedback that I can get on this, as I have spent quite a bit of time searching for information, but cant seem to find anything.

Thanks,

Lonnie
cncsnw

Re: LINEAR INTERLOPATION ON G00 MOVE?

Post by cncsnw »

On a Centroid control, G0 rapid moves are interpolated like linear moves. The path will always be a straight line to the destination.

There is an exception on Mill controls, where the Z component of a G0 move is separated out for clearance. That does not apply to Lathe controls.
VPM
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: LINEAR INTERLOPATION ON G00 MOVE?

Post by VPM »

Thank you so much, that puts my mind at ease.
I'm new to using the centroid control, and really like the way it is setup.
This forum is awesome as well, nice to be able to communicate with experts.