CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: About to embark on an Allin1DC retrofit on Wells Index 847

Post by martyscncgarage »

Chevy427z wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 pm Do you have the color code/function chart for the encoders?
I'm thinking not, because I'm not even sure what that is. I have all the operator's manuals for the mill, but sadly, nothing as far as schematics or diagrams. I assumed having the wires labeled as they are would be enough to transfer and make my DB9 connectors. I sent the same pics of the encoders to Liviu Degeratu in sales, who advised me that they should work fine.

The machine has to be powered up via a tape reader. Once powered up it will communicate with a PC via RS232 port. I haven't brought it up in a few years. I'm hoping to be able to power it up enough to draw some schematics and measure voltages where necessary.

Mark
You are going to need to find out what color wire goes to:
A, /A, B, /B, Z, /Z, COM, 5VDC

If you can find the manufacturer name and model number, do a search and you might find that info
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

martyscncgarage wrote:You are going to need to find out what color wire goes to:
Aren't they right there in the second picture that Chevy427z posted yesterday, showing the encoder terminals?

"V" is probably +5VDC, and "G" is probably COM. /A, /B and /Z are all black wires, but those are probably strands that are twisted together with the red, green and white strands. Of course, the color of those wires only matters if you re-use the old encoder cables. If you install new cables, you just hook up to the appropriate terminals using your own colors.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No

cncsnw wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm
martyscncgarage wrote:You are going to need to find out what color wire goes to:
Aren't they right there in the second picture that Chevy427z posted yesterday, showing the encoder terminals?

"V" is probably +5VDC, and "G" is probably COM. /A, /B and /Z are all black wires, but those are probably strands that are twisted together with the red, green and white strands. Of course, the color of those wires only matters if you re-use the old encoder cables. If you install new cables, you just hook up to the appropriate terminals using your own colors.
Agreed if that is indeed the case...
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900999
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Chevy427z »

I thought the picture of the wires on the encoder would suffice, too.

If I've learned anything about wiring, it's label, label, label. I figured I could just find the opposite end of the black wires (along with the colored wires, of course) and be sure they are labeled properly, then just follow the DB9 wiring diagram exactly as supplied in the manual.

I *was* concerned about the few that weren't labeled but I appreciate SNW spelling them out: ""V" is probably +5VDC, and "G" is probably COM. /A, /B and /Z are all black wires, but those are probably strands that are twisted together with the red, green and white strands."
M400
A900999
CNC12
SYSTEM ID - 0008DC111213-0301212560
martyscncgarage

Chevy427z wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 pm I thought the picture of the wires on the encoder would suffice, too.

If I've learned anything about wiring, it's label, label, label. I figured I could just find the opposite end of the black wires (along with the colored wires, of course) and be sure they are labeled properly, then just follow the DB9 wiring diagram exactly as supplied in the manual.

I *was* concerned about the few that weren't labeled but I appreciate SNW spelling them out: ""V" is probably +5VDC, and "G" is probably COM. /A, /B and /Z are all black wires, but those are probably strands that are twisted together with the red, green and white strands."
Apologies. I spent 3 hours on the forums this morning. Sometimes I don't take the time to scroll back through the previous posts. I can't remember all the details about everyone's build. Mind is like a sieve ;) I AM very appreciative Marc helps me out, keeps us all straight!

Wire and test one encoder in the PID screen....then do the others.
Keep a note book next to your machine for all notes....
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Wire and test one encoder in the PID screen....then do the others.
Keep a note book next to your machine for all notes....
Absolutely. One step at a time, double and triple check. I've released the magic smoke from far too many electrical devices to not have learned that one. And I am fastidious about keeping notes. If I am OCD about anything, it's that! What is the PID screen?

I wondered how you were able to keep up with all the builds! Reading these and responding has to be a full time job! I'm glad you're here! :-)

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

I moved my machine to an area where I would have plenty of access to everything that I would need to and did some cleaning on it.

I started messing around with the X Axis servo cable, basically checking to see how different the connections were from the required Centroid connections. Turns out they are entirely different which will require me to desolder everything and resolder all new connections.

I started looking for bulk cable and found no deals anywhere. I wound up back at the Centroid site to see what they offered. I see premade encoder cables for Centroid encoders. Couple of possible routes here. 1) I'm thinking that I could use these cables (with the DB9 connector on one end) and cutting off the molded connector on the other end which is dedicated to Centorid encoders and connecting those loose wires to my existing encoder. That'd be 3x $85. Wish I had understood this problem before I ordered my package.

Secondarily, I could just bite the bullet and go with Centroid encoders and cables, but that's pricey. I do have basic 1000 line encoders. Going with Centroid's would bump that up.

I know that ultimately it's my choice, but do any of you have an opinion either way?

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
martyscncgarage

If you can solder or crimp your own DB9 connectors, feel free to make your own. Just use the correct cable, not an issue. I've made my own. If your encoders will work, reuse them.
Mesa, AZ
Chevy427z

Post by Chevy427z »

Thank you Marty.

Would you have a source for the correct cable? I'm not finding a lot of info online. I've already ordered some DB9 connectors off of eBay.

Mark
M400
A900999
CNC12
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

Chevy427z wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:41 pm

I started looking for bulk cable and found no deals anywhere.
Centroid sells bulk shielded encoder cable for $1.25 per foot. That is a very good price.

Look at the bottom of this page: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html