Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 4882
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: What do we have here?

Post by Jason Birch »

So it's a CNC4 machine. I'm going to look at (and most likely buy it) Sunday. Im going to see about getting it going on original stuff but reality is that it will be sooooo much more user friendly on acorn and modern software. Being that I know very little about cnc programing at this point I'm about 95% sure I'm going to just forgo a bunch of BS and get acorn pro with digitizing. But at least for the time being I guess this is a legacy machine so my initial questions will be correct here right? Can you change the thread title to something to do with "CNC4 bridgeport" or at least (Centroid CNC4 bridgeport).

It does come with a real nice pile of tooling which is more than the price of the mill if bought new. Excited and a little terrified. The motors are mae1350 . Not sure that display model helps a lot but that's what I got right now.
Attachments
640273784.jpg
640273826.jpg
20210413_144832.jpg
received_2863835297220716.jpeg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Good luck with it!
Centroid *may* have info on it. Email the serial number 1111 to support@centroidcnc.com. ask for history/configuration of the machine.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You can change the thread topic by editing your first post.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Jason Birch
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: What do we have here? Centroid CNC4 Bridgeport

Post by Jason Birch »

Well it's all mine now 🙂. Going to see what Centroid can tell me about the system.
Attachments
20210419_200815.jpg
20210419_200753.jpg
20210418_222622.jpg
IMG_20210418_154825_559.jpg
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

Congratulations on your new machine. Glad you got it home safely. Most guys drop the knee all the way and swing the head down when they transport them as it lowers the center of gravity for safer moving.
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

polaraligned wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm Congratulations on your new machine. Glad you got it home safely. Most guys drop the knee all the way and swing the head down when they transport them as it lowers the center of gravity for safer moving.
I thought the same thing about the knee but the guy I got it from and my friend who came with me and have both moved a bunch of them and they both seemed to think it was inconsequential. I did lower it some. I didn't think about the head though. I think that leaving it standing up so it's not banging on the head sideways when you hit a big bump is probably just as wise though. We had it strapped down very well too. It didn't move a mm on the ride home. I've towed alot of stuff and I'm a very good driver so I know how to stay safe.
Jason Birch

Re: 1990ish Centroid CNC4 Bridgeport. Need boot disc

Post by Jason Birch »

I messed with the computer system a little bit tonight after getting it off the trailer and returning it. There were a few discs that the owner and my friend both tried yesterday when we looked at it. When we were leaving and loading it up I found a drawer full of discs in the computer stand. I hooked it up and also powered up the motion control which I'm not sure if it was plugged in yesterday or not. Unfortunately I left the discs they were messing with and a spare micro 1 driver there, so even if the motion control being off wasn't an issue and now I just don't have the right disc I don't know until after the stuff gets me out here. I tried every disk that was in the drawer, a couple of them were factory printed on centroid that may have been the boot disc. It comes on and says insert boot disk. Then you insert the disc and it makes old computer noises and some also not correct sounding scratchy noises in the drive. It then says "Boot disc read Error" . It could be the drive, it could be the wrong disc, could be a bunch of demagnetized discs. Anyone knows where I might be able to find a CNC 4E centroid boot disk that would be great. I asked them in an email but I haven't heard back yet.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

I would not worry about the old CNC4 control and move on to Acorn....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

The IPC (industrial PC) unit is essentially junk at this point. The CNC4 (bottom box in stack) may still be usable. If you have a newer DOS PC, it will run the terminal program disk. CENCOMM is the terminal program. You could also use a modern PC with a terminal program like RealTerm. All cases will require a DB25 to DE9 adapter for the serial cable. More modern PCs may also need a USB to serial adapter to get a serial port.

If none of that was ringing any bells, you should probably go with Marty's advice.
Jason Birch

Post by Jason Birch »

My brother is setting me up with a newer touch screen laptop and a specific usb to db25 cable for cnc machines. Plus a usb hookup floppy to give that a shot. If my cencomm disc is good it should run on a pc right?

He has been looking into the other cnc programs that someone mentioned they used with a CNC4 syemstem. Linuxcnc is one that they used. He is going to install that to try. I'm still fairly certain that acorn is the way to go and the laptop is fully capable to run it, I would love to see the motors do thier thing before dumping another 700$ into it though.