Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: CNC12-m39-104028
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

KP-3 Auto probing backup

Post by rjtechserv »

Is there a parameter to move the probe back from the found edge when AUTO zeroing? like .1" clearance something nominal from where zero was found. Approaching the X from the left it would be negative. Approaching the Y from the back you'd want the Y to go positive. ;)

RobJ
Rob Jackson

RJ Technical Services
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
CNC11: No

Re: KP-3 Auto probing backup

Post by swissi »

rjtechserv wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 pm Is there a parameter to move the probe back from the found edge when AUTO zeroing? like .1" clearance something nominal from where zero was found. Approaching the X from the left it would be negative. Approaching the Y from the back you'd want the Y to go positive. ;)

RobJ
Most probing cycles do actually retract after the probing by the "Probing Recovery Distance" configured in system parameter 13.

Keep in mind that probing an edge on the X or Y axis, the point where the probe actually trips is not the actual surface point, it's half the diameter of the stylus tip away from the surface.

If you want improved probing cycles, have a look at the ProbeApp that now also works with the servo version of CNC12.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The built-in "Auto" cycle for part setup does not retract.

This is deliberate, so that a confused operator who presses F10/Set after the cycle has completed (and has already set the part location) does not inadvertently reset the part location in the wrong place (clear of the part).
rjtechserv
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by rjtechserv »

swissi wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 pm
rjtechserv wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 pm Is there a parameter to move the probe back from the found edge when AUTO zeroing? like .1" clearance something nominal from where zero was found. Approaching the X from the left it would be negative. Approaching the Y from the back you'd want the Y to go positive. ;)

RobJ
Most probing cycles do actually retract after the probing by the "Probing Recovery Distance" configured in system parameter 13.

Keep in mind that probing an edge on the X or Y axis, the point where the probe actually trips is not the actual surface point, it's half the diameter of the stylus tip away from the surface.

If you want improved probing cycles, have a look at the ProbeApp that now also works with the servo version of CNC12.

-swissi
I was thinking I read somewhere the KP-3 doesn't function well with your probing cycles?
Rob Jackson

RJ Technical Services
rjtechserv
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by rjtechserv »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:38 pm The built-in "Auto" cycle for part setup does not retract.

This is deliberate, so that a confused operator who presses F10/Set after the cycle has completed (and has already set the part location) does not inadvertently reset the part location in the wrong place (clear of the part).
That does make total sense that one could hit the set button... Thank you!
Rob Jackson

RJ Technical Services
swissi
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
CNC11: No

Post by swissi »

rjtechserv wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:23 am I was thinking I read somewhere the KP-3 doesn't function well with your probing cycles?
Don't start to spread false rumors :D . If you have really seen such a comment somewhere, please let me know where.

The ProbeApp works well with all mechanical probing devices that are supported in CNC12. A mechanical probe is something very simple. The trip signal just open and closes an Input on the control board and signals CNC12 at what point a trip signal occurred and some devices do the a little better than others but that has nothing to do with CNC12 or the ProbeApp.

What you need to know is that the support for probing devices is different between the Acorn version and the servo version of CNC12. The Acorn version supports probing devices of type NO and NC on all of it's 8 onboard Inputs, easily configurable through the Wizard.

The probing logic of the servo version of CNC12 is designed for NO type probes and the trigger/trip input for a Touch Probe and a Tool Touch Off plate is shared between the two devices on input 769.

If you order the KP-3 for an OAK or AllIn1DC board, it will come as a NO type probe. If you order the Acorn version, it will be NC type.

So if you get a probing device for the servo version of CNC12, you are well advised to get a probing device of type NO.

One other thing to look for if you want to get a touch probe and a tool touch off plate and you want to use the TT to measure the height offset of the TP, get a TT that has NO pre-travel. Also if your probe stylus is not conductive (ruby tip), make sure you are not using a conductive type TT.

The ProbeApp adds additional functionality over the CNC12 built in probing cycles and one of the biggest benefits are that you don't have to dive into the CNC12 menu structure to get to the probing cycles, you can get right to them with the press of a VCP button. The ProbeApp also has many functions the built in cycles don't have. Check out the ProbeApp User Guide for all the details.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com