Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: AllInOne Overheating? Oscillating

Post by polaraligned »

A VFD designed for single phase input is available up to 5 hp. The max output current is about 17 amps on these which makes them 3.7 KW units and therefore a 5 hp rating. One of these should be fine unless it is pushed really hard and long. That is an excellent motor to have on your mill and I am jealous, lol. Get some ventilation in that cabinet. Only other option would be using a 3 phase unit that is overrated feeding it single phase.
johnballard
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0818141095
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No

Post by johnballard »

Hi Polaraligned,

I did have a 3rd phase generator (still have) pony 3hp/3ph (with caps) start with 20HP motor. I'm trying to get away from that.

What about something like this:

220V 25 A 5.5 KW 7HP 3 PHASE
Single Phase Input and Three Phase Output
Sensorless Flux Vector Control (SFVC)
Closed-loop Vector Control(CLVC)
Voltage/Frequency (V/F) Control
Basic Function: Speed tracing, PID control, auto speed compensation, AVR, torque control, overlay control, time control, multi-speed choice, etc

Fan is already installed in the control panel.
Lagunmatic 250
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Never heard of that brand. Can you get an English manual for it? You need to know if it accepts remote 0-10VDC analog speed input. It's also nice to have span and slope and zero intercept on the analog input - it will make it much easier when calibrating the spindle speed. Also, are you going to over-speed your motor? 1800 2-pole motors can usually be run at twice the rated speed since manufacturers usually make the same motor in a 4-pole 3600rpm version using the same bearings. If so, you'll want to make sure the VFD can output up to 120Hz.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
johnballard

Post by johnballard »

Tom,

That's part of my question: can I run this motor at 120Hz? Would love to for those small bits, soft material. Do I have to worry about overheating the motor?
Lagunmatic 250
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by polaraligned »

I would not run it at 120 Hz for any long period of time. They make inverter duty motors for that. I have a friend who overdrives his motor and had a motor shop balance it for the higher RPM. The shop told him that it was notably out of balance at 3600 RPM. Your bearings are probably original and 40 years old. Maybe time to replace them anyway.

Beyond the motor, your spindle is 4200 max rpm and it would be a big mistake to just start running it at 8400 rpm. It is not designed or set up to spin that fast. A large part of the issue is the bearings, how they are currently being lubed and the preload on them. My BP mill is 4200 max, and most users agree that going to 5500, maybe 6000 is the limit if everything is in good working order. When I run mine at 5000 for an hour or two, the quill gets really hot. You can have C&M Spindle in Oregon set up your spindle for a higher rpm, but it is costly. They carefully set the preload on the bearings by grinding tenths off of the spacers until they get the correct preload, then monitor the temperature rise as it runs. They did my spindle and it was $1k.

Your motor is a 4 pole unit. I think Tom made a mistake. 4 pole motors run at 1800 RPM. I only want to point that out so you set up the number of poles in your inverter correctly.

Call a reputable dealer like Drive Warehouse and tell them what you want to do. A 5 hp single phase input VFD should be just fine. Don’t buy off brand crap. A good quality unit should have all the features you need, but just check to make sure. That link to Amazon doesn't work, but you can buy a lot of crap there.
johnballard

Post by johnballard »

Replaced my VFD - really nice high torque at low RPM. BUT, I think that's what probably killed everything!

I was drilling a 1/2" hole and I noticed the end of the drill bit glowing. I had been using the same program to build 4 parts before this one. Maybe my speeds were too fast. E-Stopped the mill. Got the NT40 chuck out and the drill had welded itself to the bottom of the chuck. I took it over to the vice to get some larger tools on it, but then heard a CLUNK in the control box of the mill.

The only thing I initially noticed was that my DC powersupply breaker had tripped. Then I smelled the acrid electrical smoke. Shut off all power and then found the AllInOneDC looked like history.

The new spindle VFD&motor didn't even grunt while I was destroying my Z-axis.

Any thoughts what to do now?
Attachments
Smoked AllInOneDC.jpg
Smoked AllInOneDC-1.jpg
Lagunmatic 250
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by polaraligned »

That sucks John.

I don't have an All-in-one, but those look like the H-bridge FET's. I don't see this issue being related to the VFD.

These are pretty easy to replace if you are tech minded and can solder decent. Otherwise, send it to Centroid and it will be a $375 minimum charge plus shipping both ways, or you can purchase an exchange from them. Contact tech support.

If this was caused by the Z axis being driven too hard or a short in the motor causing an over-current condition, the control should have faulted or the fuse on the circuit board should have blown at worst.

What is VERY important is that you check your Z axis motor to make sure it doesn't have a shorted winding or similar problem otherwise it will take out your new FET's.

If the end of your drill was glowing, it is feeds and speeds related. Maybe the Z axis was on the way out and not feeding the bit at proper rate. A very slow feed at a high spindle speed will do that.