Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: console 104030 SysId 0008DC111213-1202202505
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

wiring for switching between spindle motors

Post by cncot »

I am wiring up my Allinone for my 4 axis Bridgeport series 1.
I plan to have an aux high speed spindle for engraving, routing, ornamental turning, etc.
I would have to bolt up the spindle on the ram anytime I wanted to use it.
I Have not yet bought the high speed spindle The aux spindle I first looked for is ether on or off, no controls.
Assuming I use it, I would like to mechanically lock the the contactor for it with the contactor for the Automation Direct GS20 inverter which runs the Bridgeport 2 HP motor, so that they can never be on at the same time.
Then I propose to use a 3 position switch center off to select the spindle.
Can I run the Inverter enable wire thru the 3 position switch?
In the "Use the inverter" mode everything works according to Centroid's standard design.The Estop would turn on/off the Inverter contactor or the "Safe torque off" feature of the GS20 could be used. I like the latter.
In the center position, nothing happens,
In the High speed mode the Centroid inverter enable could be wired thru the switch to turn on/ off the spindle contactor.
Will this cause the software to "panic" when no DAC voltage comes back from the inverter or something else bad happens
I don't foresee now because I can't run the software yet? I am Leary of just wiring up 2 outputs from the plc. The High speed spindle is partially held in a 5C collet in the Bridgeport. Disaster!!
I don't have a spindle encoder, because I can not figure out how to attach an encoder on a Bridgeport variable speed Reeves drive.
Know anyone who succeeded in doing it?
If this switching logic is workable, Please say so so that I can continue wiring.
If you have a better suggestion as how this should be done, please explain.
I can not figure out how to easily use the GS20 on the High speed spindle. Also they usually come with their own control.
That would be a real headache switching all the control wiring with relays, etc.... I think I probably could get by with off/on spindle control.
If you know of this being done before, perhaps I could get some ideas from it.
Warm Regards, Mike
cncsnw

Re: wiring for switching between spindle motors

Post by cncsnw »

I don't think you want to try to use the main spindle's run enable (from the GS20 DCM, through OUT7 and OUT8) as part of a relay or contactor coil circuit when switched over to your high-speed motor.

If you don't want to get into PLC programming, then you will probably need to introduce a control relay or two.

For example, if you used your selector switch to turn one DPDT relay on or off, which conducts the run commands for the main GS20 through the N.C. contacts of one pole; and the run commands of the high-speed drive (or power to the contactor, if you prefer) through the N.O. contacts of the other pole, then that would assure that only one drive could be enabled at a time.

You could then also wire OUT7 to control another 2-pole relay, switching the run signals for both drives, in parallel. That way you can keep the control circuits of the two drives isolated from each other.

And no, the Centroid hardware and software does not care about any feedback from the spindle drive, other than requiring that its drive-okay / not-fault signal remain closed.