Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Need Advice on a Path to Upgrade to Probing

Post by polaraligned »

I have been running a DC3IOB with MPU11 for 6 years now in a hobby environment. Software is CNC11 on a Windows 7 computer. I can't find pricing to add probing to my CNC11 software. I understand that the CNC12 Pro comes with probing.

I would assume that the probing software unlock is still available for CNC11, but I don't know of the cost.

Would a better path be to upgrade to CNC12?

Do you need Windows 10 to run CNC12 or will my Win 7 computer be ok?

Are there any other features that CNC12 provides over CNC11?

Will Swissi's Probe App work on my current system without upgrading? Or is that just Acorn specific?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you,
Scott
cncsnw

Re: Need Advice on a Path to Upgrade to Probing

Post by cncsnw »

Software-only cost for probing in CNC11 and CNC12 pre-v4.16 was generally half the cost of the DP-4 probe package, so probably now $895.

Software cost to update to CNC12 v4.16 or newer (v4.18 is current, v4.20 is on the horizon maybe) is $299.

If you have the patience to update your computer to Windows 10, and change your control software, then the CNC12 upgrade is definitely a better deal.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No

Post by swissi »

polaraligned wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm I have been running a DC3IOB with MPU11 for 6 years now in a hobby environment. Software is CNC11 on a Windows 7 computer. I can't find pricing to add probing to my CNC11 software. I understand that the CNC12 Pro comes with probing.

I would assume that the probing software unlock is still available for CNC11, but I don't know of the cost.

Would a better path be to upgrade to CNC12?

Do you need Windows 10 to run CNC12 or will my Win 7 computer be ok?

Are there any other features that CNC12 provides over CNC11?

Will Swissi's Probe App work on my current system without upgrading? Or is that just Acorn specific?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you,
Scott
I made the ProbeApp working with CNC12 v4.16+ for AllIn1DC and OAK but I don't know if there are any differences in the probing moves when running CNC12 v4.18 with a DC3IOB. Maybe Centroid can confirm?

There are people running the ProbeApp on CNC12 v4.14 but it requires the separate purchase of the M0 Option and the AUX button in the VCP can not show the ProbeApp image as it requires the VCP 2.0 that was introduced with CNC12 v4.16. CNC12 v4.16+ Pro and Ultimate do now have the M0 function included.

I haven't tried it but I would be surprised if the ProbeApp would run on Windows 7.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

On the software side, CNC12 is no different running on MPU11+DC3IOB than it is on Allin1DC or Oak or MPU11+GPIO4D.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by polaraligned »

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate them.

I called Centroid yesterday and they confirmed that the CNC11 probing add-on is $795 and the CNC12 upgrade is $299. Makes no sense, but should work out well for all us CNC11 users.

The person I spoke with said that the CNC12 will run on Windows 7, but it is not officially supported. He did say that other people are running the CNC12 on Win 7, so it is not like I would be the first one if I did not upgrade my OS. Windows 10 is the worse OS that I can remember with constant driver problems and lack of driver support for older hardware. I am running industrial keyboard and pointing device. They should work, but with Win 10 you never know.

My current computer is a Pentium 4 running at 3.0 GHz. That is a little slow by today's standards, but for single thread applications, it might not be bad. I made a custom pendant that has all my user interface in it and also contains the computer. It is very tempting to redo this panel and put a nice touch screen in it, go wireless for the mpg, and just clean it all up. Something for me to think about. I decided to do some upgrades and maintenance on this Bridgeport Series II mill while my spindle is getting shipped across the country to have new bearings installed and have the taper reground. That is costing me $1300, so it is taking a big bite out of what I can spend on machine upgrades.

So I am thinking at this point maybe the best bet would be to try the CNC12 upgrade on what I have and see how it works. The guy at Centroid said he could send me a 10 day trial license for CNC12.

Thoughts?

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

You may find that our Pentium running at 3.0ghz meets the minimum benchmark. My first build was with a Celeron processor running at 3ghz and it met.
There are many tiny form factor computers that are inexpensive, -$300 out there. Just hone in on PC's that use Intel processors running at 2.9ghz or faster.

That's quite the console you built! Now, had you left room for a wide touchscreen monitor, you could use VCP (Virtual Control Panel) and customize its buttons to your liking..... ;)

Centroid has always tried to leave a path to upgrades when feasible.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

Thanks for the input everyone. Very much appreciated.

I downloaded CNC12 and got a 21 day trial license. CNC12 runs fine (so far) on my Win 7 computer with a couple of minor headaches like the "machine not set up" error. I have run the test program multiple times after adjusting switches to get rid of encoder index errors, but have not solved it yet. Fix one and another pops up...like whack a mole...I think my old Bridgeport limit switches are just a bit flaky. I may get rid of the error on one limit switch only to have it come back after a couple of runs of the test program.

Anyway, I am going to upgrade to CNC12 and purchase the Centroid probe. Seems like the best route to go.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Post the test report file along with a fresh report.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The systest.out file (results of the system test, including the reasons for failure) will be included as part of the report*.zip file.
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

I did not post the report as I was not seeking help, rather I am just updating what was going on with my upgrade and my path towards getting probing, plus I wanted to thank you all for your responses. Once the system test passes, the "machine not set up" message will go away. I doubt that I need precision homing as I never shut down the system until a part is complete. I might just remove the inputs for the switches and run the system test. I believe then it will pass as a machine with no limit/home switches. All the errors are "home too close index pulse" errors and it keeps jumping from switch to switch when I try to correct the problem. The only other solution would probably be to replace the switches as they are 40 years old and bad. I did replace the Z axis home switch with a Euchner and that one has been solid.