Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900979
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

ATRUMP E216 Mill Conversion

Post by Jqmce »

First of let me say thanks for all the info and help on this form. Thank you.
It truly is a great way to form a community and help each other.

Today I began the surgery on my 2007 Atrump E216 Milling machine.

Original Machine Specs:
-10Hp Spindle
-16 tool umbrella ATC.
-Yaskawa SGDM-XXADA servo drives / Yaskawa servo motors for Axis.
-Delta VFD-V 10Hp for spindle.
-ITRI MIRL M2000 controller complete with floppy drive and 486 dos based computer.

The ITRI MIRL control system is from Taiwan and fairly robust but has....had some significant limitations. When I removed the ITRI system it was fully operational and complete so if anyone would like to buy replacement parts please PM me or I'm going to throw it up on ebay as a complete set at a later date.

Yesterday I completed the bench testing of the new Oak board and 1616. Had some minor hiccups with 9061 Error but was able to resolve with info on this forum. Thanks again.

So here are the electrical "bitts" in the machine prior. Actually the wiring loom was pretty nice with the ITRI system but I don't really like the servo coms cables running along side the power cables for drives. (Might have to get creative with the fresh install)
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2792.JPG

Here is the machine after the lobotomy. Still lots of wiring loom to remove.
IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG
Any way, still early days. Will get some time on this over the weekend and get the Centroid parts in place and some basic wiring completed.

I'm pretty concerned about the ATC PLC programming in the future. I have good electrical / mechanical skills but the Programming.... Yikes, it scares me a little. Time to suck it up and get learning quick.

Cheers
Jules
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: ATRUMP E216 Mill Conversion

Post by martyscncgarage »

Centroid has a basic Umbrella PLC.
Atrump also used Centroid controls. I have an Atrump Maximill E216 with CNC10 Centroid Control, DC Brush Servos
Probably mechanically the same machine.

I assume you spoke with and bought the Centroid Oak-> Yaskawa signal cables?
If you need help, hire Marc Leonard, cncsnw on this forum. Contact him early if you plan to retain him. He may make some suggestions before you start the transplant.
His website is cncsnw.com Contact information is there. He may chime in here as well.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You shouldn't have too much trouble with the ATC, as many of the default assumptions in Centroid's "standard" umbrella-ATC PLC program and macros were made based on machines just like yours.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:19 pm You shouldn't have too much trouble with the ATC, as many of the default assumptions in Centroid's "standard" umbrella-ATC PLC program and macros were made based on machines just like yours.
Marc,
I didn't find a schematic for an OAK/Yaskawa Atrump system but did find one for AIO DC. Could he use that as a basis for his build? Or do you know if there is an Atrump OAK/Yaskawa schematic (and PLC) he can follow?

And of course he could retain your services if needed?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I do not know of a specific "Atrump" schematic. Even if there were, it would not necessarily have the same wire numbers as what the MIRL installation used. You just need a schematic that shows the usual components of a typical late-model Taiwanese mill with an umbrella-type ATC.

Is there not a generic Oak Umbrella ATC schematic?

You don't need a schematic to tell you how to interface Yaskawa drives with an Oak. You just buy the appropriate cables and plug them in, the same as with Delta drives.

You will, of course, need to identify the wires that lead to things like your carousel in/out solenoid coils; the reversing starter for your carousel motor; your tool-unclamp solenoid; your tool-counter prox sensor; etc..

Yes, I can provide for-hire technical support as needed to walk through such an installation step by step, if that is needed.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:09 pm I do not know of a specific "Atrump" schematic. Even if there were, it would not necessarily have the same wire numbers as what the MIRL installation used. You just need a schematic that shows the usual components of a typical late-model Taiwanese mill with an umbrella-type ATC.

Is there not a generic Oak Umbrella ATC schematic?

You don't need a schematic to tell you how to interface Yaskawa drives with an Oak. You just buy the appropriate cables and plug them in, the same as with Delta drives.

You will, of course, need to identify the wires that lead to things like your carousel in/out solenoid coils; the reversing starter for your carousel motor; your tool-unclamp solenoid; your tool-counter prox sensor; etc..

Yes, I can provide for-hire technical support as needed to walk through such an installation step by step, if that is needed.
Makes perfect sense. Attached is the schematic. I would assume the Umbrella PLC is in the CNC12 Package Marc? All he needs to do is selected it after he answers "Would you like to install a PLC now"
Attachments
Oak Yaskawa Umbrella s14663.r1.pdf
(279.17 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I would expect so. It never hurts to double check the I/O connections shown on the schematic, with the I/O definitions in the PLC program.
Jqmce
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900979
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Jqmce »

Thank you for your advice guys,

Yes I did but the pre-fab servo cables from Centroid. Honestly if you look at the Axis cable pin-out and think about the tiny connectors with all the tiny wires it is simply not worth your time to make your own cables. On top of that if you make a mistake and let the magic pixie smoke out then you have lost even more. Buy the right cable in the first place!!

I did select to install Umbrella ATC plc program during setup. (There was also an option for ACDC Umbrella, out of curiosity what is this? Same thing but with DC drive for carousel rotation?)

Thanks for the schematic Marty, I also noticed this AM that there are varying schematics available on the Atrump site that will help a little.
For the Delta VFD-V I noted on all the schematics I could find they have PG-01 or PG-02 cards. My drive has a PG-05 card so I need to be a little careful there. (This is already wired to the encoder and it was working so I'm hoping there are not too many changes required)

Off to mount the oak now. will post some more pics after the weekend.

Cheers
Jules
martyscncgarage

Centroid has an AC/DC servo drive. I believe that's what you are referencing.

I'm interested to hear how you get along with your build Jules.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

For what it's worth, it does appear that the I/O assignments drawn on schematic S14663.r1 are different from what is assumed in PLC program Centroid-Mill-Standard-OAK-ATC-Umbrella-r7.src.

The definitions in Centroid-Mill-Standard-OAK-ATC-Umbrella-r7.src are fairly close to what Centroid declared as "standard" several years ago. Perhaps you should contact Centroid support and ask if there is a newer schematic, that goes with that PLC program.