Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Okuma Macturn Retrofit

Post by JodyH »

We’ve done some retrofits on a few of our machines in-house ourselves with Centroid controllers and are very pleased. We have a Okuma Macturn 2005 that has the Osp E100 control and it is horrendous to get support for and we’re honestly just fed up with dealing with Okumas dealers waiting and waiting for support. My question is has anyone including Centroid retrofitted a Millturn machine with The Oak ?? The machine has a Dual spindles on C axis that each can be milled separately on a B axis 12000 rpm spindle up top with X Y Z and it can be rotated from -15 to 195 with a 44 tool carousel and swing arm changer and a lower turret with 12 tools that will also move in x y and z with live tooling also. The main and sub spindle also syncs with each other. Keith and Marty and all the other smart guys on here I would really appreciate your honest opinions on this thought. Thanks
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Okuma Macturn Retrofit

Post by martyscncgarage »

JodyH wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 am We’ve done some retrofits on a few of our machines in-house ourselves with Centroid controllers and are very pleased. We have a Okuma Macturn 2005 that has the Osp E100 control and it is horrendous to get support for and we’re honestly just fed up with dealing with Okumas dealers waiting and waiting for support. My question is has anyone including Centroid retrofitted a Millturn machine with The Oak ?? The machine has a Dual spindles on C axis that each can be milled separately on a B axis 12000 rpm spindle up top with X Y Z and it can be rotated from -15 to 195 with a 44 tool carousel and swing arm changer and a lower turret with 12 tools that will also move in x y and z with live tooling also. The main and sub spindle also syncs with each other. Keith and Marty and all the other smart guys on here I would really appreciate your honest opinions on this thought. Thanks
Can you please post the details of the machine? Take a picture of the control cabinet. Close ups of the drives and spindle drive? Provide some part numbers for them? Picture of the machines. And verify the model number of the machine. I Googled MacTurn 2005 and didn't find anything.
Marc Lenoard, cncsnw is probably going to be your best bet once we can SEE what your machine is and its components.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
JodyH
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by JodyH »

It’s an Okuma Macturn
JodyH

Post by JodyH »

I’ll get pics
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

JodyH wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 pm It’s an Okuma Macturn
There seem to be several model numbers of the MACTURN....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I think you are going to have an uphill battle trying to do everything this machine was built to do, with a Centroid control. Centroid's software does not integrate mill operations and lathe operations in a single version; and the Centroid lathe software does not have very robust support for more than 2-1/2 axes.

If it is really untenable with its original control, and if you can afford to make some compromises and adjustments in how it is programmed and run, then it is not out of the question. Just don't expect the Centroid control to drop in and do everything that the Okuma control did.
JodyH

Post by JodyH »

69B1B8D2-83F1-4CAB-9A88-56EFA736BCAE.jpeg
Attachments
E3EEF000-AD97-401B-B768-B2598B8763DD.jpeg
FBE3ADF6-AF3C-4DFA-87D5-AA19E8F1C81D.jpeg
JodyH

Post by JodyH »

There’s the pics you ask for Marty.
JodyH

Post by JodyH »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:57 pm I think you are going to have an uphill battle trying to do everything this machine was built to do, with a Centroid control. Centroid's software does not integrate mill operations and lathe operations in a single version; and the Centroid lathe software does not have very robust support for more than 2-1/2 axes.

If it is really untenable with its original control, and if you can afford to make some compromises and adjustments in how it is programmed and run, then it is not out of the question. Just don't expect the Centroid control to drop in and do everything that the Okuma control did.
I fully respect your opinion on this. You’ve been doing Centroid control along time. Thanks