Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: K-1172
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport Series 2 Mill with Centroid M-10 Controller

Post by pfabrication »

Hello, we have and old machine setting in the corner my boss would like to get working. Its a very old Bridgeport Series 2 mill with an M-10 Controller with 5.21 Software, it looks like a DOS OS. The machine has problems. The Y axis table when the control cable is plugged into the servo it errors out right away. Most of the errors are "full power without motion" and the Current Position Display turns to blank lines. If the Y servo is left unconnected I can jog the X and Z axis manually and those seem to move OK with out the errors and the Current Position display is Mostly behaving. We are not machine experts, but the owner did send the Y servo in for testing. The company that did the service on the servo said it was fine but cleaned it up and serviced it anyway. If the Y cable is connected to the servo any jog motion will produce the "Full power without motion" The error will set for the Z and X axis too depending on the jog direction if the Y cable is attached. The machine came to us broken with an un known service history. All Servos do have the same part number L94-41809 Type MTS30M4-48.
pfabrication
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Bridgeport Series 2 Mill with Centroid M-10 Controller

Post by pfabrication »

After looking further I can swap the Y cable to the X axis and run the X with the Y jog. A soon as anything is plugged into the Y axis servo the machine looses its position and stops everything including the ability to jog.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I assume you were swapping connections at the motors, and not in the cabinet.

I assume when you say "soon as anything is plugged into the Y axis servo" you are talking about the Y axis servo motor, not the Y axis output of the servo drive.

This suggests that the problem is (still) with the motor. You could do some basic checks per TB155:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf

When you try to move Y, and you get a "full power w/o motion" stall message, does the Y axis actually move a short distance at high speed before the stall occurs? Or does it not move at all?
pfabrication
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by pfabrication »

Yes I am swapping connections at the servos themselves. Thank you for the help! Its strange but at times the when connected Y servo will allow one jog pulse before the error, other times just booting up the machine with the Y servo attached will cause the errors and nothing can move. If the Y axis is left disconnected the machine will jog the Z and X reliably and stay operational. I found out that the owner replaced the encoder once after the motor service trying to fix the problem. I will try the checks you sent then most likely send the motor to someone again for service.