Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: console 104030 SysId 0008DC111213-1202202505
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Wiring for Generic height setting gauge and probe

Post by cncot »

I am planning an Allinone installation for my home shop. I have a generic Height setting device and a DROPROS touch probe. I would like to hook up both separately to the allinone.

The height setter is spring loaded, and has 2 seperate switches : First touch and over travel switch both Normally closed. Each switch has 2 wires, 4 total, What pins on the allinone H13 Probe connector do I connect to it? Do I need to jumper any pins on the connector? What changes do I need to make to the software setup configuration for the Centroid Height setting device to use mine?

The touch probe has one normally closed contact, 2 wires. I could also rig up a "probe is Present" signal if required by the software on a switch in my junction box. Is it required? What pins on the allinone H13 Probe connector do I connect to it? Do I need to jumper any pins on the connector? What changes do I need to make to the software setup configuration for the Centroid Touch probe to use mine?

I have read the cable schematics from centroid and the 2 probe/height manuals. I am still confused as to what the software expects to see on what pins. I need to understand the necessary and sufficient wiring and software configuration......
Could someone please help?
Thanks in advance,
CNCOT
BodeRacing
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes

Re: Wiring for Generic height setting gauge and probe

Post by BodeRacing »

Bump for you. I am familiar with the oak requirements but don't know if its the same or not.............
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

by default, the Oak and All in One DC want to see NO signals when probes are NOT tripped and a closed signal when they trip.

I just used the wiring diagrams for DP-4 and TT-1B when wiring them up. I use the Centroid Bulkhead connector, about $50 prewired and I just buy my own CPC connector and wire up the probe and tool setter. Though I have a crimper to crimp the pins.

You might consider buying a KP-3 probe for Servo, I'm hoping Centroid does a similar version for a tool setter.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncot

Post by cncot »

Can I invert the switch signals in software, or am I forced to use hardware?
I have questions about the wiring but I need to wait until I have all of the schematics in front of me.
Hopefully tomorrow.
cncot

Post by cncot »

You asked for a report to be generated.
I am drawing schematics (where I deviate) and buying parts. Nothing is wired yet, just a big pile of parts waiting to be complete and lots of cad/other files on my Mac computer, also incomplete.
Craig
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900928

Post by Craig »

I have a tool setter and probe from https://drewtronics.org/

I see where the Centroid probe connects to the AllIn1DC but what about the tool setter? The instructions from Drewtronics for both say "Limit the voltage and current supplied to the probe to between 5-24volts at 5ma. or less in order to keep the contacts from unnecessary wear. This unit is a NC switch. The RED WIRE goes to control input and the BLACK WIRE goes to ground." And this illustration is in the probe instructions.
1F846D6A-524B-4A9A-AE84-C1EB38C26F8D.png
1F846D6A-524B-4A9A-AE84-C1EB38C26F8D.png (26.41 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Since both devices have 2 wires but the Centroid probe plug has 8 pins, where do I connect them to and how do I make them both be wired in at the same time?
65B965C3-E54D-47D1-93B0-AFB67CC50B5A.png
65B965C3-E54D-47D1-93B0-AFB67CC50B5A.png (14.52 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Centroid uses the same input for both the probe and tool height. Connect your tool height and probe to the probe detect input in parallel.
TT1.PNG
ProbeConnector.PNG
DP-4 wiring.PNG
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by martyscncgarage »

Are you going to use a tool setter? its going to have to be normally closed as well. When the connector of the tool setter or probe is plugged into Oak/All in One, there is a jumper that activates the Probe detect or the TT detect inputs telling the control what is connected. When the probe is connected a set of safety features are activated in the control.

Oak and All in One inputs are not easily changed without PLC modification. On the few I did not use Centroid's probe or tool touch off, I purchased NO devices which is easy for a conductive Tool Touch off. Some times not so easy on a kinematic probe. There is what they call a "flipper" circuit in the connector of the KP-3 that does this. It inverts the NC signal to NO. This is your best bet.

Maybe Matt (eng199) will be kind enough to post it, but it is surface mount board to make it tiny enough to fit.
Tom posted the drawings. They are in the DP-4 and TT-1B manuals.

The other reason I use the Centroid Bulkhead connector, is because it easily plugs into Oak/All in One, and if a users decides to upgrade to Centroid's probes in the future, no PLC modifications need to be done. I personally stick with their standard.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncot

Post by cncot »

Gentlemen:
Many thanks for your lengthy discourse.
I read it 4 times!
After much more reading, brain smoking, and study of the Allinone, probe and cable drawings, I concluded that since both my probe and height device are normally closed 2 wire devices, it appears if I connect the allinone to a KP3 inverting cable which has a tool touch and a probe detect input , I can build a box which has a 2 wire connection to a probe and a stereo female jack to make the connection to the KP3. When the KP3 is plugged into my junction box, Its probe detect is then closed internally and the common and tool touch wires continue from it to ether of my probes.. Seems I can ignore all those other wires! PLEASE CONFIRM: DOES THIS SIMPLE SOLUTION WORK? Like I think?
All this complexity boiled down to an inverting cable and one normally closed probe? WOW ! Much ado about nothing! Simplicity is elegant when it works....
One more question, please. Is it true that there is no practical straightforward use for the over-travel switch inside my height setter using the Allinone hardware/software?
Warm Regards and Thanks for the help!
CNCOT
Sportbikeryder
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583

Post by Sportbikeryder »

If you want an over travel on the tool setter, you could possibly wire it in to a spare input and setup a limit. Could trigger an estop or just a movement stop.

If you want to invert the signal for an input, you can put a "-" in front of the input name. For example, if your probe is in input 14, if you put "-14" in the parameters it will be inverted. If the probe and tool setter are in the same input and have different no/nc contacts, this doesn't help, unless the parameter is changed everytime.

John