Probe...DP4-D is beyond dead is the KP-3 the current replacement?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Sportbikeryder
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Probe...DP4-D is beyond dead is the KP-3 the current replacement?

Post by Sportbikeryder »

I have an older Centroid built 5 axis E320 originally setup for porting. The original probe, with DSP, was a DP-4D (Perhaps the first versions of the dsp?).

After the Internal DSP sensor failed, I changed it to a standard kinematic setup and used it for awhile, then crashed it and made a pseudo repair. The repair worked well until the last crash (bumped the sensor body on a part). Now it is just a pile of pieces :?

I bought a cheapo probe to get by for rough stock setups, and it is surprisingly accurate. That said, I don't think I want to use it for probing surfaces or for anything that needs to be accurate as in bore alignment, etc.

I see the KP-3 now has an "Oak / All in 1" option. Is this inclusive of the signal inverter preferred by the older equipment?
I currently have a toolsetter and probe on the same input and have to swap polarity in the parameters to switch between the two.

I'm not sure if the DSP probes are still available or quite frankly if they are needed on a 13 year old machine.

Thanks,
John
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Re: Probe...DP4-D is beyond dead is the KP-3 the current replacement?

Post by martyscncgarage »

The KP-3 for Oak and All in One, I believe has the flipper circuit in it to show the control a normally open signal.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yes, the KP-3 is a great plug and play replacement for the DP-4

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... probe.html

select which type of system you have.
kp3_oak.PNG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sportbikeryder
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CNC11: No

Post by Sportbikeryder »

Keith,
Is there an option for changing the unit to NO and closed when tripped? The original logic of Centroid was to have all probes configured that way.

If not, perhaps I can rewire the toolsetter and change the input pin in the parameters and keep the toolsetter NO, and the probe NC.

Has the DSP technology been abandoned all together by Centroid? If so, is the new Kp3 suitable for "longer" probes used for digitizing? I believe that was the selling point of the original DSP units back in the day, perhaps now it is a wash.

John
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If I understand correctly, when you order a KP-3 for use with closed-loop controls (MPU11, Allin1DC, Oak etc.) then it comes with a "flipper" circuit in the back of the black 8-position plug. This makes it behave as a normally-open probe, compatible with the DP-4.

Also if I understand correctly, the DP-7 is the successor to the DP-4D. Like the DP-4D, the DP-7 can detect contact with negligible pre-travel, and is therefore more suitable for use with long extensions; but also like the DP-4D, it is more expensive and more easily damaged.

If you have been getting acceptable precision using a cheap third-party probe, then you will almost certainly get acceptable precision from a KP-3.