Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Mazak Impulse - Oak retrofit build log

Post by ashesman »

So, this is the beginning of what will probably be a long and drawn out build. I really struggled to find information for this conversion so wanted to capture what I have learnt in one thread. Maybe it will help someone one day.

So, the machine... A 1997 Mazak Impulse vertical machining center. This machine was built originally as a high speed production drilling and tapping machine. It is quite small, weighing in at around 2000 kg (or 4400 pounds for those that haven't moved into the metric system yet) with a footprint of 1.5 x 1.8m. Great because it fits through a single garage roller door. However, this machine has all the things you could want for a conversion. AC servos, ball screws, linear guides, tool changer, flood coolant system, rigid tapping, 10 tool changer. In fact there is no major mechanical work required to convert this machine.

The original controller is a Mazak built IMAC-TP (EIA Dash). Actually very capable for its day and has 90% of the features that the Oak will offer. It almost pains me to change it. It does however have a few gremlins in it! The main reason for the retrofit is the controller has only 48k of program memory. An upgrade is available but it is over half the price of a retrofit and still not that much memory. I had hoped I could re-use some of the drivers and control gear but it is all integrated as one big controller and nothing can be used independently. Maybe I will get something for it on ebay. Most likely I will hang it on the wall as a souvenir!

When I started looking into retrofit options, everyone said "You will need to replace the servos". I couldn't understand why as they are already there, work fine and have suitable encoders on them, wiring is all in place and in good condition. So I persisted and have found solutions (I hope!). The spindle motor is also an AC servo which is unconventional but is probably what allows this machine to be able to rigid tap at 4000 RPM. But it turns out there are VFD options for permanent magnet motors in excess of 6000 RPM.

Requirements for a retrofit:
- The machine must not lose any capabilities both in its software or motion
- Needs lots of program memory as I want to use it for mainly 3D contouring aluminium
- Must stay as a stand alone machine that could go back into industry where it came from. I.e. no consumer PC and screen sitting beside it.
- Must be able to add a tool height setter and probe in future
- Must be able to rigid tap although I will accept not being able to do it at 4000 RPM
- Physical buttons on the control panel for the motion control and operator setup
- Touch screen and modern interface so can run CAM software on the controller

So, challenges I foresee:
- Using the OEM servo motors and encoders
- Using an AC servo motor for the spindle
- Fitting everything in the little control cabinet inside the back of the machine
- Making a nice new control panel
- Getting the pneumatic rack tool changers working safely

I will leave this post as just being about the machine and discuss other parts as I go...

The little machine
20200817_195155.jpg
Behind the machine. Coolant tank at the bottom, behind it is the control cabinet
20210130_110616.jpg
Inside the moving parts
20200806_195456.jpg
The control cabinet
20200801_161253.jpg
Here are some videos of the machine running

And the biggest gremlin, a software bug where trying to do an arc in the XZ plane causes it to lose its s#$t!

ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Mazak Impulse - Oak retrofit build log

Post by ashesman »

OK, so obviously if I am posting on these forums I have chosen to run with a Centroid controller. An Oak. Below is a picture of the parts I have accumulated so far.

The Oak controller will be the brains. I was one output short so had to get an ADD1616. That's one expensive output! I will control some extra stuff just because now!

The user interface will be a 17" toughened glass multi touch screen mounted vertically, the customised Centroid button panel and a wireless MPG. I will need to construct a new control panel but it should fit in place of the OEM one. I may or may not code my own VCP style panel yet, I haven't decided, will see how it looks. The Centroid one can not be resized as I need.

The user interface will run on an Intel NUC i7 Skull Candy. Plenty of grunt to run CAM software, F360 etc.

The X, Y, Z servo motors will be run by DYN4 servo drives. Encoder adapters are required to match the 2500 PPR encoders on my motors to the proprietary encoder protocol used by the DYN4. DMM were great with their support in helping to determine if these drives are suitable. DMM also supplied cables to go between the DYN4 drives and the Oak. Not worth trying to do these cables yourself for the price!

The spindle will run off a VFD, probably an ABB one but I haven't purchased one yet.
20210126_193109.jpg
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

OK, so now the first bit of actual work that I have done...

To adapt my X, Y, Z encoders to the DYN4s and the spindle encoder to the Oak, I didn't want to cut the cables. There are 20 wires in the cables meaning 80 terminations. Also, the cables can just be replaced as an OEM part if they are not modified. The OEM cables have a nice 20 way 3M connector on them. This carries A, B, Z, U, V, W differential pairs, 5V, Gnd and motor over heat signals. Also, the DYN4 requires an encoder adapter. These are flimsy exposed circuit boards that need to be mounted somewhere.

So, I opted to make a PCB to make all this plug and play. It also supports the thee DMM encoder adapters. Others suggested heat shrinking them inside the wiring loom, which I was not really keen on. This way they are easily replaceable as just plug in. The PCB also breaks out the four over temp switches to a terminal block so they can be wired to the Oak.

I have spare PCBs in the unlikely case anyone ever needs one. I can send the design files if needed. I have tested the PCB with the Oak and DYN4 and is all working.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
20210120_074338.jpg
Next job is stripping the OEM controller off the machine which pains me as I have developed quite a relationship with it!
repauli1

Post by repauli1 »

Good luck with your build, I just started a build with Oak and 3 ADD1616 BOARDS
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Thanks for sharing your build!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

Excellent work on the encoder adapter board! Excited to see your machine come together!
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

I got committed tonight and started the disassembly job. Even though all the cables are numbered I went through and labelled them and made notes.
20210202_212104.jpg
Then after nearly blowing my foo foo valve trying to lift the cabinet door off, I disassembled the door.
20210202_212143.jpg
I thought for a while there was plenty of room but then after placing the Oak there and visualising all the other parts, it is going to be tight. What makes it harder is that some of the cables are a fixed length and have to just go where they can reach to. The encoder cables mainly. I think there may be a bit more cable bundled up inside the side of the machine for some things but I am probably just being hopeful!
20210203_204815.jpg
I had thoughts of removing the big heatsinks from the controllers and mounting them back in the door. I could then bolt the servo drives and VFD to them to get some heat transfer. Otherwise the cabinet is air tight with a circulation fan in it. It has worked OK like that for 25 years and I would hope newer electronics is more power efficient!
20210202_212158.jpg
For those interested or have come across this for Mazak Impulse info. Here is a brief overview of how the controller works: The left (smaller) module is the spindle driver. The top PCB is the control logic. The bottom PCB is a three phase AC to DC converter and has the spindle drive Intelligent Power Module (IPM). The larger module is referred to as the 05 MCU and 05 AMP. The top PCB is the motion controller and controller for the user interface. The bottom PCB is the servo driver for X, Y and Z. The servo drive PCB gets its DC power from the bottom spindle drive PCB. Between the PCBs is a power supply for both PCBs. Basically everything is integrated with everything! FYI, the motion controller hardware can do four axis, eight encoders, 16 output, 16 input plus all the user interface control etc. It is driven by an Intel i486 as used in old PCs and has Mazak proprietary motion control ICs on it. I could go on all day about it, so just ask!
20210203_204649.jpg
Next job I think is to make a temporary MDF panel for the door and start mocking up locations of parts and testing cable lengths. Man I wish I had the VFD!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

You are smart to label everything. You may have to lengthen wires and cables. Consider using DIN RAIL mounted terminal strips to land short wires and then extend from there to OAK.

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture with captions!
Continued luck!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Jqmce
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900979

Post by Jqmce »

This is fabulous, watching this build closely.
I’m just about to order my Oak board for a conversion.
If you don’t mind me asking what kind of screen did you order?
It looks like it may suit my build also.

Thanks
BodeRacing
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No

Post by BodeRacing »

slodat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:36 am Excellent work on the encoder adapter board! Excited to see your machine come together!
Totally agree!