* resolved * Z axis not returning to zero

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

rsv4dave

* resolved * Z axis not returning to zero

Post by rsv4dave »

Hello,

Started the mill today. No problems since day one. But today the X axis is not returning to zero.
I can reset zero, and the X axis will travel to the exact dimension entered, but will return short of zero.
The more times I travel, the worse it gets.

Retrofit Kit for Boss 1-7 = CNC Mill V 2.36 Servos have the blue cap.
System ID 0220081506

Help !!!

Thanks in advance

Dave
Last edited by rsv4dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Z axis not returning to zero

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Can you please generate a report and email to tech@ajaxcnc.com, from the Main Menu press F7-Utilities, F-7 Report. We just need the report.zip that is generated.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
rsv4dave

Post by rsv4dave »

Hi Thanks for coming back so quick.

I have just tried the F7 / F7 but get a " Error occured while copying files " screen message.

Dave
rsv4dave

Post by rsv4dave »

Hi,
I have just sent an email to tech dept.

I have created the zip file but we can't open it due to all our PCs not seeing the Compact Flash card.

The PC used to drive the mill uses only the Compaact Flash drive. " No Windows system "

Dave
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Do you have USB on the machine used for the MIll? If you do, copy the file over to a USB thumb drive. Then put the thumb drive in a Windows machine and take the file from there.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
rsv4dave

Post by rsv4dave »

Hi,

There are USB ports but because the PC is bare bones they are not connected.

I've now finished for the day 18:00 approx here in the UK.

I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can connect the USBs

Any thoughts on the possible problem Z not returning ?
I can zero and move the Z axis 350mm and it measures exact.
We thought it could be the encoder, but that would give false dimensions all the time. Right or Wrong.

Both Y and Z are fine

I will check to see if any thoughts arrive during the evening.

Thanks for you help
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Is your problem with the Z axis, or with the X axis?

It is not uncommon for an encoder failure, or perhaps an encoder cable/connection failure, to drop counts primarily in one direction. This would result in a progressive "drift" to one end as you do a series of programmed back-and-forth moves between the same set of coordinates.

Assuming that you have limit/home switches on your machine, and you use those switches for homing (I know, this is not a safe assumption on Ajax systems...) then you can check for dropped encoder counts by repeating the homing move in MDI and looking at the resulting position in Machine Coordinates.
  1. Press Alt-D to switch your DRO to Machine Coordinates
  2. Re-run the homing move (e.g. "M92/Z" or "M91/X" or whatever M91 or M92 code might appear in your cnc10m.hom macro) at the F3/MDI prompt.
Do not re-run the M26 command, which re-zeroes the axis there.

After the M91 or M92 completes, then your DRO position should either be 0.000 or it should be some whole number of motor turns. If instead it is off by some fractional number of motor turns, then your encoder has dropped counts.
rsv4dave

Post by rsv4dave »

Thanks cncsnw,

I had to finish a job off this morning and will try what you say on Monday.

I have noticed that it is the Z minus that gives the fault.

If I Zero then go to a Z plus dimension no problem, Zero and go a minus dimension incorrect.

Dave
rsv4dave

Post by rsv4dave »

Hi all,

This morning I have swapped encoders from the Z and X axis and the fault is still there.
I have also retrieved the zip which I just sending to the tech team.

Thanks for your help AjaxCNC

Dave
Aftershock
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
DC3IOB: No

Post by Aftershock »

I had a problem once where the shaft the encoder was mounted to came loose from the rest of the servo motor shaft. It would tend to drift negative since the slip occurred mostly on rapids and there tend to be more rapids up than down.