Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Anilam to Allin1 conversion

Post by martyscncgarage »

PatF10 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm That setup makes it look fairly simple. What is the small black square below the line filter and above your contactor? I plan to reuse the transformer and i have a new cap from centroid coming. My all in one is supposed to be here tomorrow.

How have you liked the all in one on your Anilam machine. I'm really electronics slow. Ill get it but it takes a bit. What do the line filters do for me, should I keep them?

I have a PC and monitor already. I have a plan to machine some adapters to mount my encoders. I have considered taking the motors apart but I haven't decided if I want to go that route or not. Ill probably get the contactor from centroid and a couple other things. I decided to wait until I got the Allin1 to start laying everything out before I start buying stuff.
I would advise AGAINST disassembling a DC Brush Servo motor. Magnets are powerful and fragile. You DO need to test the motor. Here is the tech bulletin on that:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf

You should FOLLOW the Centroid Schematic AND the Installation Manual to the letter. They were engineered by Centroid. You can follow my YouTube videos on the All in One DC Conversion series I did to give you some idea of the project:

Also the dry erase board exercises I did may help:

Take pictures of your control cabinet and post them in a new thread. Any questions you have along the way, post them to the same thread.
Follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383

The more information you provide, the better suggestions we can make.
Good luck with your project.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
PatF10
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by PatF10 »

freedommachine wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm I did the same conversion in 2019. Here's my cabinet (don't laugh).

I reused the Anilam E-stop button and went with the 24v ac contactor recommended by Centroid. (Not pictured but located right above the cap). The 2 silver rectangular boxes are line filters that I reused from the Anilam. The VFD is cheap garbage and no longer on the machine. I like the gs2/gs3 as Marty stated. That is the most popular drive around.

Choosing components was difficult for me as well. Electrical components seem so application specific, I hate buying the wrong stuff.

I would suggest getting a new capacitor/cap board set up from Centroid too. 30 year old capacitors aren't worth the risk in my opinion.

My computer is mounted to the cabinet door. It's a commerical HP (The name escapes me at the moment). I just contacted a local computer repair place, sent them the minimum requirements and windows configuration instructions from Centroid and they sold me a PC ready to go for $218.00

Mounting encoders was...a process.
I disassembled the motors and turned down the end of the armatures in the lathe. I also recut the section that the brushes ride on and then assembled all 3 motors with new bearings. It was easy, just time consuming.
Do you feel reusing the line filters was necessary? I won't be taking the servos apart. I have a plan to mount the encoders. Im fairly certain that they are all good, but will follow the bulletin on checking the servos out.
I did get the new cap from centroid. I need to order a few more components from them as well such as the contractor.
freedommachine

Post by freedommachine »

PatF10 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm That setup makes it look fairly simple. What is the small black square below the line filter and above your contactor? I plan to reuse the transformer and i have a new cap from centroid coming. My all in one is supposed to be here tomorrow.

How have you liked the all in one on your Anilam machine. I'm really electronics slow. Ill get it but it takes a bit. What do the line filters do for me, should I keep them?

I have a PC and monitor already. I have a plan to machine some adapters to mount my encoders. I have considered taking the motors apart but I haven't decided if I want to go that route or not. Ill probably get the contactor from centroid and a couple other things. I decided to wait until I got the Allin1 to start laying everything out before I start buying stuff.
Sorry for the delay. I numbered the various components in the pic below. Description is as follows:

1.) 3 phase disconnect switch from Amazon (used to break L1, L2 and Neutral)

2.) Repurposed fuse holders from Anilam (2 more feeding into transformer as well)

3.) Line filter (not needed)

4.) 24VAC transformer for contactor (eBay)

5.) Location of E-stop contactor (not installed in picture)

6.) TB1

7.) Cap board (Centroid)

8.) Transformer from Anilam control

Line filters are supposed to help reduce noise from traveling through the system. They aren't necessary though and I might actually take them out. I don't know what happens if one fails and they are pretty old.

I tried to follow the instructions from Centroid step by step exactly. I am horrible with electronics so it felt like a huge undertaking at the time. I'm glad I did the conversion though. I learned a lot throughout the process. Centroid specifically wanted power components away from signal components so that was my main consideration when setting up the cabinet.

I can get more pictures if you'd like to copy the arrangement. The only thing I would do different is to include a 220v to 110v transformer to feed all of the 110v loads. Right now I have them balanced across each leg of the 220v but I don't think that's the correct way to do it.

The most difficult part for me would be tuning the motors. I want to learn more about it but info is limited. Autotune sets everything to the max output and I don't need 400ipm rapid on a knee mill lol. I want to learn a lot more about the ins and outs of setting up and dialing in this system to make the machine run perfect. (topic for another thread)

How do I like it compared to the Anilam? I love it. The first time I was able to load a program from a flash drive rather than rs232 was a GREAT feeling. No more concerns about program size, tons of options, a tool library that can store data on 200 tools, being able to store as many programs in the machine as you want, no cabinet full of 30 year old glitchy electronics, ect.

I would also highly recommend the wireless mpg. I ran mine for about 8 months without it OR a touch screen and it wasn't fun. Trying to touch off tools or run an unproven program using only a mouse is asking for trouble. The price is higher than I would have liked but mpg has made a world of difference. On a similar note, I would recommend the Jelly Comb wireless mouse and keyboard combo from Amazon. They work well, reduce the wires and best of all they're cheap.
Attachments
IMG_20190819_181942_473 (1)~2.JPG
PatF10

Post by PatF10 »

freedommachine wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Freedom i sent you a PM
freedommachine

Post by freedommachine »

Replied. Sorry, had to turn on email notifications.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

It's better for all involved to keep the discussion here when possible that you are everyone benefits from the questions and answers. Follow the Centroid schematic and you should be ok. We're here if you have questions.
Mesa, AZ
PatF10

Post by PatF10 »

Had some other projects come up, should be getting back into this in the next week or two. I did get the bench test completed and all that seemed to work as expected.
martyscncgarage

PatF10 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:21 pm Had some other projects come up, should be getting back into this in the next week or two. I did get the bench test completed and all that seemed to work as expected.
Good to hear!
Mesa, AZ
PatF10

Post by PatF10 »

Making a little bit of progress. Snowy and icy roads have delayed some shipments. But I think I have most of my hardware now. Will need to get everything mounted and start wiring.

I’ve read some other posts about single limit switches. My x and y only have one switch for both directions. I may try to start with one. But I’ll probably order up 4 switches.

My alliant/anilam controlled mill had glass scales it used for position. Is there any reason to keep these on the machine? It’s extra stuff and wiring hanging around that I’m not sure if I should junk or not.

Here is my panel so far
274B7652-D49B-4561-B0A5-1D1BF5F9E45F.jpeg
martyscncgarage

One switch is ok but ONLY trip on the home direction. I would add a switch to the opposite end on a servo machine eventually.
Unless you got the license with glass scales and your glass scales could be used (proper output) I don't see a need, but Tom or Marc may chime in. You need to post the model number of the scales and a link to the manual if you can find one.
Mesa, AZ