Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900779
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hardinge CHNC II

Post by Beagle Beagle »

Good day lads. Got a question. I’ve got a Hardinge Chnc II chucker lathe. I would could call Centriod direct but felt my question would be answered better by people here that have had their hands in one. The tooling rotary is air operated. Can the All In One software handle this type of machine?
Thanks, Bob L
Bridgeport V2XT, All In One DC #A900779. Using existing SEM motors 112 Volt. Spindle to be controlled by Lenze AC Tech VFD mod #ESV222N02YXB. Machine is being run on 208 3Phase power.
cncsnw

Re: Hardinge CHNC II

Post by cncsnw »

See https://www.centroidcnc.com/hardinge_chnc.htm

and also:

There might be some work required to combine the most recent CNC12 / Allin1DC PLC-program features with the existing logic for the Hardinge turret and other accessories, but there are really no unsolved problems here.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kanwt4XJHtM (but turn your volume down, sorry).

That one is running with Allin1DC and CNC11.
Beagle Beagle
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Beagle Beagle »

Thanks for the input. That machine sounds like it need new spindle bearings. This is interesting since a CHNC has two huge cabinets that could be reduced to 36X36". I fixed to rehab this lathe as I acquired new balls and screw before they became obsolete. This is one of my babies. A quarter of the floor foot print of a slider. Bob L
Bridgeport V2XT, All In One DC #A900779. Using existing SEM motors 112 Volt. Spindle to be controlled by Lenze AC Tech VFD mod #ESV222N02YXB. Machine is being run on 208 3Phase power.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The noise is from the portable air compressor. I doubt you could hear the spindle bearings over it, even if they were bad...

Yes, a retrofit control based on an Allin1DC would easily fit in the ca. 30" x 60" cabinet on the back of the headstock.
Beagle Beagle

Post by Beagle Beagle »

I was just joking around. My point was the noise level of the shop. That video has me all hyped up now. Got to assume that whole strip of Mylar crap switches goes away with the conversion. Sounds like a whole lot of fun work. Bob L
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Got to assume that whole strip of Mylar crap switches goes away with the conversion.
You've lost me here. Are you referring to the turret position encoder? Or to the switches such as the X limits, spindle lockpin sensor, cutoff slide up/down, etc.? Or something else, maybe inside the old control cabinets?
Beagle Beagle

Post by Beagle Beagle »

My CHNC was produced almost at the end of production. In front of the door there is a table of switches. I call them Mylar crap switches. This stuff was destine to fail before it left the drawing board. See picture. This stuff was all the rage in the 70s early 80s. My case back hoe had 10 toggle switches on the dash board to replace this stuff as each switch failed. So many I finely had to label them. Bob L
Attachments
DSC08878.JPG
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Most or all of those functions can be provided with the Centroid jog panel keys.

The "Aux" keys in the upper right can be custom-printed as needed; or if you opt to just use the "virtual control panel" on a computer monitor, then you can customize the graphics yourself.
Attachments
T39 jog pendant on Hardinge CHNC I
T39 jog pendant on Hardinge CHNC I
Beagle Beagle

Post by Beagle Beagle »

So I got assume that the programing for tool changer just fires the air solenoid for the turret?