Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: System ID 1115040338
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DP4 connector help

Post by Michael Moore »

I decided it was time to recalibrate my DP4 probe (a DC3IO system I've had for over 10 years). I checked it against the ring gauge a few days ago and it was .0005" off, and it used to be much closer than that.

The manual instructions say to disconnect the cable from the probe.

It has been many years since I've done this and I can not remember how the FFG.0B.305.CLAD56 connector is supposed to release. I thought it might be a bayonet fitting (Digi-Key says it is a "push-pull" but I'm getting nowhere with that, and attempting to unscrew the barrel has it, the red dot and the cable spin so if it is a push-pull the little nubs may have been sheared off. On top of that, now when I ALT-I I don't see any red/green light changes on the inputs, the light on the probe doesn't come on, and the machine can't see that it is attached. I fear I've damaged the plug.

If someone can tell me how this thing (correctly) comes apart maybe then I can tell if I've damaged the probe.

So much for my good intentions of "I'll get the probe freshly calibrated for the start of the new year". :(

thanks,
Michael
cncsnw

Re: DP4 connector help

Post by cncsnw »

It pulls straight out. There is no locking mechanism; just a ramp that forms a slight detent.
Michael Moore
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Michael Moore »

Should I pull with the two red dots aligned? I'm pulling as hard as I can (bare hands, no pliers, stylus removed for safety) and it doesn't budge, whether the dots are aligned or not. Wiggling the connector while pulling on it doesn't help. Is the connector supposed to be able to spin freely like an RCA stereo type of jack, because I'm not detecting any binding when it is turned. The outer barrel with the 4 grooves in it has about .01-.02" of axial play in it, if that indicates anything.

Stuck seems to be a good description.

thanks,
Michael
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No

Post by tblough »

Normally, the red dots remain aligned and neither turns. You remove the plug by pulling slightly on the outer barrel of the plug (that's the 0.020 axial "play"). The fact that the outer barrel now rotates indicates something is seriously wrong with the connector.

I suspect the wiring within either the plug or jack (possibly both) is now twisted/broken and is shorting. The AllIn1DC has a fuse on the probe power circuit, but I don't know about the DC3IO. Either/both would account for the lack of I/O changes and LED activity on the probe.

I would suggest sending your probe and cable back to Centroid for repair.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Michael Moore
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Michael Moore »

Hi Tom,

That was the conclusion I'd come to. At least I don't have anything pending where I will be held up while the probe is out for service.

I hope everyone else's 2020 ends on a higher note than mine is!

cheers,
Michael