Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: new project

Post by chessie »

the supply to the rectifier is 220v 3 phase , i only have 240v single phase can this be configured differently or will i need another power supply.
i read the sd3 manual and there was a line about matching supply with the motor voltage which according to the servo nameplate is 260v so my question is how can i supply the sd3 with power. if i need a 300v dc power supply what sort of current will i require.

Also the vfd for the spindle motor ( control techniques unidrive sp2401) this needs a 415v 3ph supply which i don't have . so if i replaced this with a 220v vfd and a normal 3ph motor star delta motor will this be a problem with the m400 control?

im happy with the rest of the conversion i just need a bit of help regarding the servo drive and what eventually to do with the spindle

thanks
Attachments
71B52EC8-AD8C-42AB-921C-A669DCB08015_1_105_c.jpeg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

According to Centroid [and this was news to me, as I have never worked in the 50Hz world] 3-phase input is required.

Apparently the DC supply will be unsteady, and drive response unreliable, if you run their rectifier on single phase 50Hz.

On the spindle side: you should be okay with any spindle drive (VFD) and motor combination that is capable of orienting the spindle for tool changes.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

As an FYI:
Rectified 240VAC gives you 339VDC
AC Voltage X 1.414

As Marc mentions:
There is some question about whether or not your machine will run on single phase 240VDC 50HZ. Centroid says no. Had it been 60HZ they say its a different story. Assume you have 50HZ power?

You may be in a pickle...

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
chessie
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by chessie »

thanks marty/marc

yes its 50hz here

so the spindle drive/motor shouldn't be an issue then if i ended up replacing it. with something like this Yaskawa V1000 IP20 4kW 230V 1ph to 3ph AC Inverter Drive

i guess the sd3 comes as part of the m400 package and its that or nothing ?

so if i want to use it
is it a case of buying a phase converter to run all or part of the machine,
or using a different rectifier 240v 50hz input to supply the dc voltage to power the sd3?
is the 50hz issue with the centroid rectifier , as the sd3 is dc ?
martyscncgarage

chessie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm thanks marty/marc

yes its 50hz here

so the spindle drive/motor shouldn't be an issue then if i ended up replacing it. with something like this Yaskawa V1000 IP20 4kW 230V 1ph to 3ph AC Inverter Drive

i guess the sd3 comes as part of the m400 package and its that or nothing ?

so if i want to use it
is it a case of buying a phase converter to run all or part of the machine,
or using a different rectifier 240v 50hz input to supply the dc voltage to power the sd3?
is the 50hz issue with the centroid rectifier , as the sd3 is dc ?
Sounds to me like you need a well balanced digital phase converter.
do see if your spindle motor can be rewired to low voltage then you only have the VFD to worry about. Remember you'll need a VFD with spindle orient capability.

Sorry, we all learned something from this. 50hz frequency is the culprit.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

I am going to assume that Centroid is thinking you are just using 2 legs of that rectifier input and putting single phase into the existing rectifier.

DC is DC and the only variable should be how much ripple is in the DC. If you use the proper rectifier circuit, you will get clean DC output regardless of the input being single phase, 50 or 60 hz or three phase. Three phase is actually easier to to get clean DC from with less ripple. If you need DC and that is the only problem, you just need to change the rectifier and filter setup.
martyscncgarage

I'm not crossing Centroid's expertise/experience. If the original poster wants to give it a go, it's up to him.
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I did not get a detailed explanation.

My guess is that the ripple is excessive with the lower input frequency. It does seem to me that could be addressed with a larger capacitor, but I am not an electrical engineer.

With the control you have, the SD3 is the only realistic option for driving the motors you have. You can certainly supply a different rectifier, though.
chessie

Post by chessie »

polaraligned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:55 pm I am going to assume that Centroid is thinking you are just using 2 legs of that rectifier input and putting single phase into the existing rectifier.

DC is DC and the only variable should be how much ripple is in the DC. If you use the proper rectifier circuit, you will get clean DC output regardless of the input being single phase, 50 or 60 hz or three phase. Three phase is actually easier to to get clean DC from with less ripple. If you need DC and that is the only problem, you just need to change the rectifier and filter setup.

this is what was confusing me as well , DC is Dc , if it needs to be clean then that's the issue, as marc said i need the sd3 to be able to keep the control so i have no option than to give it a go .
i will now see what is available to buy or get built to produce a clean around 300v dc supply from 240v 50hz .

the question is in order to supply the sd3 ,with the servos already pictured ,how much power do i need to be aiming for ?

ideal voltage /current

thanks for all your help