Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: K-1400
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

VFD for older M20

Post by metalcrafter »

I'd like to install a VFD (220 single phase input Automation Direct GS2) to take the place of my static phase convertor that currently runs everything on my M20 controlled (Taiwan Vectrax) milling machine but I'm confused. I'm not an electrician, but It looks to me the only thing powering the cabinet is 110V and the 220 3 phase installed at the rotary disconnect switch only runs the spindle. I'm guessing the VFD will have to be dedicated to the spindle only and if that's true then:

1.) how would I apply power to the cabinet after removing the static converter?
2.) Is it possible to control the spindle with the M20 or is that just wishful thinking on a controller this old?

I don't use any coolant or oil pump motors. The control is pretty stripped down but it has run this machine for over 20 years with very few problems. Yes, I am looking at getting an Allin1 in the near future but if I can't figure out how to get the VFD installed I may not have a prayer on a full blown control change installation.
The M20 is serial number K1400 and the wiring drawing is M20-N3Z I believe. Built around 1994 or thereabouts.
If you guys have any good ideas, let me know. The more details the better. Thanks for your time.
cncsnw

Re: VFD for older M20

Post by cncsnw »

How do you turn the spindle on and off right now?

Does pressing Emergency Stop on the CNC control stop the spindle?

The RTK1 PLC board has two output relays on it. The default "M10-N3B.SRC" PLC program uses them for the lube pump and for flood coolant. If you do not use or need one or both of those, then you could change the PLC program to control spindle on/off, and optionally spindle direction.

Do you have a flood coolant pump? Do you use it? Do you run the mill with the spindle in both high range and in back gear (therefore requiring the ability to run the spindle motor in both directions)?
metalcrafter
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: K-1400
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: VFD for older M20

Post by metalcrafter »

Thanks for your reply.

Spindle on/off is controlled by the stock on/off/reverse rotary switch found on a standard mill.
Pressing emergency stop does cut the spindle off.
Flood coolant pump is installed but never hooked up.
Lube pump is manual with no electrics.
I do run the spindle in back gear occasionally.

I have no idea how I would change the PLC program.