Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Feed rate override without operator control panel

Post by xr4x4ti »

I am installing an Allin1DC and I am making good progress on the wiring, etc.

I have a touch screen setup along with the wireless MPG. I don't want/need the Centroid control panel, but I would like to setup a wired feed rate override pot/switch. The Anilam system I am currently using has this and I find it very handy.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the cables, my guess is that the control panel communicates with the Allin1DC via serial communication? Thus I cannot separate out that function? If so, is there another way to perform that function?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Feed rate override without operator control panel

Post by martyscncgarage »

xr4x4ti wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am I am installing an Allin1DC and I am making good progress on the wiring, etc.

I have a touch screen setup along with the wireless MPG. I don't want/need the Centroid control panel, but I would like to setup a wired feed rate override pot/switch. The Anilam system I am currently using has this and I find it very handy.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the cables, my guess is that the control panel communicates with the Allin1DC via serial communication? Thus I cannot separate out that function? If so, is there another way to perform that function?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
You are correct.
You might consider the Wireless MPG. Very handy, will give you manual axis Jog, Spindle override and feed rate over ride.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You could use the Allin1DC analog input for that. You would need custom PLC code to make it work, and you would give up the ability to have a spindle load meter.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:13 pm You could use the Allin1DC analog input for that. You would need custom PLC code to make it work, and you would give up the ability to have a spindle load meter.
Good to know Marc!
xr4x4ti, I suggest if you want to go that route that you hire Marc (cncsnw) to modify the PLC for you. He can recommend the potentiometer required as well. Marc is very sharp and very fair.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
xr4x4ti
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by xr4x4ti »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:30 pm
You are correct.
You might consider the Wireless MPG. Very handy, will give you manual axis Jog, Spindle override and feed rate over ride.

Marty
This might be a chicken and egg problem. Since I haven't actually used the machine, I am not sure what it can all do:) I have the wireless MPG, but of course I have not used it yet. There didn't seem to be an obvious rotary knob for spindle speed override. I will do more reading in the users manual and see what I come up with.
You could use the Allin1DC analog input for that. You would need custom PLC code to make it work, and you would give up the ability to have a spindle load meter.

That makes sense. As of right now I am wiring up the machine to have the analog output of my VFD go to the analog input of the Allin1DC. Two Analog inputs would sure be handy:)

Thanks for all of the help.
Tim

PS, I have been watching Marty's wiring videos and they are pretty handy.
martyscncgarage

Centroid Wireless MPG features all right here: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ndant.html

Have you REALLY not opened the Wireless MPG Box yet? Really? :D

Glad you found the videos useful!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
xr4x4ti
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by xr4x4ti »

OK, I feel a bit stupid but I think I have figured this out.
mpg1.jpg
So, if you rotate the knob to feed, then the MPG wheel becomes a 0-100% speed command?

Once again I am still in the wiring phase and have never actually used a Centroid system. It just came to mind while I was going through the schematic that there was a feed rate override on the control panel and that is a nice feature. I guess I have that :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
Tim
martyscncgarage

xr4x4ti wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm OK, I feel a bit stupid but I think I have figured this out.

mpg1.jpg

So, if you rotate the knob to feed, then the MPG wheel becomes a 0-100% speed command?

Once again I am still in the wiring phase and have never actually used a Centroid system. It just came to mind while I was going through the schematic that there was a feed rate override on the control panel and that is a nice feature. I guess I have that :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
Tim
Correct. You can start and stop the spindle from the WPMG and run the speed up and down from the handwheel when you put the SPIN in MAN mode.
Really, for the most part, if you have WMPG and a keyboard with a touch pad and a widescreen monitor (touch screen optional) you are pretty much good to go. Console can be VERY clean. Just an Estop.

On my Emcoturn Lathe. Its a Touchscreen monitor, small keyboard drawer under it. A touchscreen with VCP works well too! In my opinion, nothing better to set part position than an MPG. You don't NEED that mess of physical buttons and knobs.....
Emcoturn 140 Console.jpg
USB Bulkhead connector on lower left and of course the necessary Estop on the lower right.
Mesa, AZ