Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bridgeport milltronics re-power

Post by rockland213 »

I think your estimate is low. Many underestimate the cost of a conversion.
I can believe that, seems that all projects cost more then estimated.
BUT you should budget about $600 per axis for drives/motors from DMM.
I understand I need encoders but I think my motors are good and I thought the allin came with drives.
They have decent support, and I have completed one OAK/DYN4 system and it seems to be working ok and as designed. I am cautiously optimistic this will be a good reasonably priced combination.
I will look into this.
ust don't go into a conversion blind. Do your homework, continue to ask questions. Ask yourself what the end game is. Are you hoping to learn about CNC controls? Are you wanting a machine at home to learn and do personal work? Are you hoping to make money with the machine?
I am trying, I recently completed a project where I added stepper motors to my cross slide table so I have some experience with steppers. I'm not sure I want to put steppers on this mill. I have been working with CNC controls all my adult life, and make a living building and integrating CNCs to run high volume production. ( Fanuc Controls) Some day (retirement) I may do some work for job shops. But for now its just for hobby.

Thanks for the Cost sheet,
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

All in One DC has 3 built on servo drives.
You will need to change your Encoders as previously suggested.
I recommend you spend a little more money and buy the Encoders and encoder cables from Centroid. 12' long should be fine.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Centroid only offers hollow-bore encoders. If you want to use those, you will need to remove the "tripod" (?) support from inside the back of the motors, and remove the flex coupler that joined the stub shaft to the DRC shaft encoders.

Then you can probably mount a hollow-shaft encoder on the stub shaft. It is likely either 1/4" or 6mm.

On the other hand, the Automation Direct 1/4" shaft encoders are likely to be a drop-in replacement for the original DRC ones. Of course, then you have to install your own connectors....