CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Drawbar Proximity Switches

Post by Eric S »

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time getting the correct I/O states for my drawbar proximity switches when doing tool changes. Ive tried inverting them and forcing others. What I have is 3 proximity switches at 3 differing heights: Clamped, Unclamped, and Tool Release. Just wondering what CNC 12 is looking for on the I/O when its going through the tool change macro. My proximity switches are all currently set Normally open but when the tool release switch is triggered the tool clamed switch is lower than it and is also triggered. Cant seem to figure out what they should be or what one needs to be inverted.

Using a 1616 board on an Arrow 500 retrofit

Thanks for any help

Eric
cncsnw

Re: Drawbar Proximity Switches

Post by cncsnw »

The switches themselves ought to be normally open.

"CNC12" isn't looking for anything, one way or the other. That logic is all in your PLC program and associated CNC macros. If you post a Report, then we can look at your PLC program and macros.

It is highly likely that your PLC program and macros expect the switches to be normally open.

The switch that a Centroid schematic or PLC program calls "tool release" would generally be a pushbutton on the front of the head, which the operator presses when he wants to remove or insert a tool by hand. If you are describing three separate sensors on the drawbar assembly, then the top-most one is probably a "tool not present" sensor that activates when the drawbar closes/clamps with no tool in the spindle.

If you have further questions, please post a Report so we can see what PLC program you are working with.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Eric S wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pm Hi all,

I'm having a hard time getting the correct I/O states for my drawbar proximity switches when doing tool changes. Ive tried inverting them and forcing others. What I have is 3 proximity switches at 3 differing heights: Clamped, Unclamped, and Tool Release. Just wondering what CNC 12 is looking for on the I/O when its going through the tool change macro. My proximity switches are all currently set Normally open but when the tool release switch is triggered the tool clamed switch is lower than it and is also triggered. Cant seem to figure out what they should be or what one needs to be inverted.

Using a 1616 board on an Arrow 500 retrofit

Thanks for any help

Eric
If you are using an Ether1616 then you are using an Acorn system correct?
You didn't provide make an model number of your sensors and documentation for them. Do you have the data sheet?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Eric S
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by Eric S »

Marty, CNCSW thank you both for responding I appreciate it immensely. I'm using an Oak with the PLC add 1616 board. The proximity switches are the original ones that came with my arrow machine. But, they are wired so the LED sensor light comes ON when in close proximity.

Currently when I begin a tool change the IO panel input 21 is closed "green" and the proximity switch showing "drawbar holding tool" is lit. My z axis then goes down to the G29 height and performs an M19 spindle orient. As soon as my output 22 is triggered my drawbar shutters, doesn't fully compress my drawbar springs and I get fault #9055. My spindle also comes out of the M19 brake mode and my spindle spins a little when the fault happens.

I have checked for sufficient air to the air sensor and lube sensor so those have already been troubleshot

If I set output 22 with a line under a red circle and set the proximity switches green with a line over them the mill will perform the full tool change macro and go through all the umbrella operations and carousel operations fine.

I'm wondering if I need to set the time that output 22 is triggered for a longer period of time so it waits for a second longer until it sees the tool released sensor has been triggered because my drawbar is sorta slow to open. I can upload a report if that helps.

Thanks for the help. IM getting VERY close
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, a report would help.

There is no universal standard for what INP21 means; what OUT22 does; or even what a 9055 fault indicates. All of those things depend on the particular PLC program you are using (which we must assume matches the way you have wired your I/O). Instead of making us hunt through the available PLC programs and try to guess which one you have installed, and speculate about your wiring assignments, you should just post a Report.

An output "with a line under a red circle" means Forced Off. The output will not activate no matter what the PLC program does.
Input "green with a line over them" means Inverted, and at the moment you looked at it the circuit was open (being reported as if it were closed, because you have asked to have it inverted).
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Do you have all three of the drawbar switches you mentioned wired to PLC inputs?

If you un-invert all of them (so that the Alt-i screen shows the actual electrical state of the input circuit: green=closed, red=open), then what do you see on the inputs when:
1) Drawbar is clamped, with a tool holder in place?
2) Drawbar is clamped, with no tool holder in place?
3) Drawbar is unclamped

To avoid having to fight your PLC program logic, you can either use output forcing (Ctrl-Alt-F) to turn your tool unclamp solenoid on and off; or better yet, have someone activate the solenoid valve directly, if it has a mechanical override.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Typical PLC logic requires two sensors.

One, often called "ToolClamped", should be closed (green) only when the drawbar is clamped, whether or not there is a tool in place. It should open almost immediately when you begin to open the drawbar.

The other, often called "ToolUnclamped", should be closed (green) only when the drawbar is unclamped. It should only close when the drawbar is nearly at the full-open position, and should open almost immediately when the drawbar begins to close again.

Typical PLC programs will trigger a fault condition if the ToolClamped and ToolUnclamped inputs are ever both closed at the same time, because this indicates that the switches are not set up right.
Eric S
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by Eric S »

CNCSNW

That last message is a great help to me. I was trying to see what the typical PLC logic requires and the order it uses the proximity switches.
I'm running the Mill with umbrella ATC added on. Ill send you a report in a message. I think the issue may be not having the drawbar unclamped proximity switch set low enough so I'm getting 2 switches on simultaneously like you mentioned. I'm going to go set them differently and see if that is what is happening. Ill also give the manual drawbar actuation a try and see if that gets me there.

The tool release input was throwing me off as I thought it was part of the tool change sequence and didn't realize its simply an input for an Aux button to open and close the drawbar. Thanks for clearing that up for me very much appreciate it.

Report will be in your inbox. Thanks again for your time and help.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Unless you are looking to hire personalized technical support, you should post the report here.

Use the "Full Editor & Preview" button, then, below the resulting editor box, click on "Attachments", "Add files", and browse to the report_*.zip file that you got off of the control.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Marc is the Tech Dealer in the Northwest and he is for hire.
I like Marc visit these forums as our time permits.
I have been approached many times privately asking for support. I politely direct them here. They'll get the benefit of others making suggestions and the answers will remain here and searchable.

Marc is worth every penny. He doesn't really, and knows the control and PLC well. Reach out to him privately if you want to retain him. Otherwise post here and as time permits suggestions will be made.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ