**RESOLVED** GPIO4D Limit Switch Hookup?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

please no smoke

**RESOLVED** GPIO4D Limit Switch Hookup?

Post by please no smoke »

I am completing hookup of the GPIO4D. Per your drawing, GPIO4D WITH MPU11, I have used inputs 1-6 for limit switches. What do I use for the 1-6 common? In general are the commons for most applications positive voltages?

Thanks
diycncscott

Re: GPIO4D Limit Switch Hookup?

Post by diycncscott »

Hello,

You can use whatever voltage you like. 5, 12 or 24VDC.

Probably the easiest way is to connect +5VDC (red wire) from the incoming power connector on the GPIO4D to the in 1-4 common and in5-8 common and then connect the 5V common from the incoming power connector (blackwire) to one side of your limit switch(es) The otherside of your limit switch(es) gets connected to IN 1, IN 2, IN 3 etc...

I'll post a diagram in the morning when I get to work
please no smoke

Post by please no smoke »

My limit switches had a lim+ and lim- wire already that I hooked to your lim+ and -. I assume that one wire is hot and when it hits the limit it closes the connection. Although I think there are 3 wires to each limit switch (hall type I think). This is what's confusing me. Do I just run one of the hots back to common.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

No. At least I wouldn't expect that X- & X+ indicated device polarity in this case. X+ and X-, when referring to limits,
usually refer to the direction of axis travel, not the polarity of the input device. Check your schematics/docs to be sure
though.
Connecting an NPN or PNP device to a GPIO4D.gif