Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 929110276
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Axis jogging wrong

Post by jcsb »

I've attached the report file from my machine. While I owned a machine shop for the last twenty years, I've recently retired. The machine in question is one I bought new a Ajax DM45 in 2011. All the electronics are Centroid. The main board is an All In One while the servos are Centroid too. After making a new spindle headstock utilizing a BT30 spindle that would allow me to install a tool changer. I notice a problem when trying to interface the servo drive for the spindle (DMM DST120 drive and servo).
The servos x,y,z axis's act as if either servos power is reversed or the encoders have changed. BTW, I made no changes to those and it has been working fine for years. The mill also has a fourth axis installed utilizing a DC1. That has been disconnected for a while, but not electrically.
So, when I start up the mill I start up the servo's by removing it from E-Stop. This is when the fun begins. Placing the remote jog into x axis position causes the rotary table to turn and then stop from current overload. Turn to Y axis and the X axis moves at rapid until I stop it with the e-stop. I reviewed several times the parameters and they appear to be correct.
Suggestions?
IMG_0844.jpg
Attachments
report.zip
(4.37 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
cncsnw

Re: Axis runaway due to drive/encoder mismatch

Post by cncsnw »

You appear to have the DC1 drive connected (see mpu_info.txt in the report); but you have Machine Parameters 300-303 set as if the DC1 were not connected.

With the DC1 connected, you would need to have:
P300 = 2
P301 = 3
P302 = 4
P303 = 1
jcsb
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Axis jogging wrong

Post by jcsb »

So would 308-311 need to be change accordingly? I must admit I have a stack of instructions I was going through and never so where the inputs would change order with the inclusion of DC1. Either I didn't see it (probable) or it was include with the DC1 paperwork when I received it years ago.
Anyway thanks, I'll make the change.
John
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

jcsb wrote:So would 308-311 need to be change accordingly?
No.

Adding drives to the DriveBus chain affects drive number assignments. The encoder input numbers on the Allin1DC or Oak or MPU11 are not affected by the presence or absence of drives on the DriveBus chain.
jcsb

Post by jcsb »

Just to bring this back to light. I'm really having issues getting the machine to home. It moves up in Z and hits the limit switch and runs up the load meter and trips the drive breaker. I have reviewed at least 50 times the setting and obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to isolate it. I've attached the report file for review. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
One other question has to do with the limit defeater switch. In the assembly instructions it notes the black dip switch for the drive power has a different orientation than the blue dip switch (opposite on-off). Does that apply for all the black dip switched on the all-in-one board?
Any help
Attachments
report.txt
(91.83 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes. If you have a ca. 2011 Allin1DC, then it would have the black limit switch defeater DIP switches. In that case, for normal operation, you would need to have the switches toggled down towards the board.

Use the Alt-i display to verify that your limit switch inputs change from green to red when you trip the associated switch.

It appears that you have your Y and Z limit switches configured backwards. With no direction reversal, the switches should be connected as follows:
Y minus: INP3
Y plus: INP4
Z minus: INP5
Z plus: INP6

Wire the switches like that, and correct the numbers on your Machine Configuration -> Motor Parameters table.

Then test whether you cannot jog any axis towards a tripped limit switch, but that you can always jog the axis away from a tripped limit switch.
jcsb

Post by jcsb »

Thanks! I'll check tomorrow and report in.
jcsb

Post by jcsb »

Success! I really appreciate the information 'cncsnw' you supplied. It went well. All axis's are functioning normal. Now on to finishing the DMM servo motor install as a spindle motor. I'll try to work through the issues, but if anyone has a process for installation I'd appreciate knowing it.
John
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

jcsb wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm Success! I really appreciate the information 'cncsnw' you supplied. It went well. All axis's are functioning normal. Now on to finishing the DMM servo motor install as a spindle motor. I'll try to work through the issues, but if anyone has a process for installation I'd appreciate knowing it.
John
Good luck trying to use an AC servo as a spindle motor....I have never seen it successfully fully implemented. Most try and go that route in order to "save the trouble" of installing a proper spindle encoder.

I'll tell you now, make sure you use the enable input to the drive.
You may also struggle tuning the servo to give satisfactory performance as a spindle drive.
Here is some documentation DMM gave me. You may already have it. While it is for Acorn, same should hold true when connecting to All in One DC

I'll be interested to hear your experience and see it work and rigid tap in a video.
Attachments
DYN4AcornSpindle_R3.pdf
(66.24 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

You mention tool changer in your first message. How do you plan to handle spindle orient?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ