DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Emerson 960153-02 AC Servo Drives with OAK

Post by martyscncgarage »

Hoping Marc can chime in.
Wondering if anyone has interfaced an early Emerson AC Servo Drive with Oak
I believe it is an Emerson LX series drive. Manual attached. At first glance of the manual, to me, it looks like they will. They have +/- 0-10VDC input and encoder outputs that I can see...

These drives are used in a late 90's Milltronics Partner 1 machining center. With umbrella tool changer. It has a Yaskawa V1000 spindle drive, I know that's no problem.
A friend of mine wanted me to inquire.

Thanks in advance
Marty
Emerson 960153-02.JPG
Attachments
lx_series (1).pdf
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Re: Emerson 960153-02 AC Servo Drives with OAK

Post by cncsnw »

I have not used that make or model servo drive.

The analog velocity control, simulated encoder output, and drive-okay relay output should all be suitable for use with Oak or GPIO4D.

As is often the case, the enable input may be an issue. The manual does not appear to provide an example wiring diagram, but the text in table 3-E indicates that the enable input is current-sinking: the controller must apply +10 to +30V (e.g. +24V) to ENABLE in order to enable the drive. With either an Oak or a GPIO4D, this would require an intervening relay so that the Centroid enable output (which closes to 0VDC) can activate the relay, and the relay can apply +24V to the drive enable.

You would also want to connect a "back up logic supply" as described in section 6.3 of the manual, so you don't lose position every time you press emergency stop.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Emerson 960153-02 AC Servo Drives with OAK

Post by martyscncgarage »

cncsnw wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 pm I have not used that make or model servo drive.

The analog velocity control, simulated encoder output, and drive-okay relay output should all be suitable for use with Oak or GPIO4D.

As is often the case, the enable input may be an issue. The manual does not appear to provide an example wiring diagram, but the text in table 3-E indicates that the enable input is current-sinking: the controller must apply +10 to +30V (e.g. +24V) to ENABLE in order to enable the drive. With either an Oak or a GPIO4D, this would require an intervening relay so that the Centroid enable output (which closes to 0VDC) can activate the relay, and the relay can apply +24V to the drive enable.

You would also want to connect a "back up logic supply" as described in section 6.3 of the manual, so you don't lose position every time you press emergency stop.
Thank you Marc.
I think the best test would be to setup an OAK and try and control one drive before tearing out the control...
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ