SShep71
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

M15-9 wiring pin DC power supply

Post by SShep71 »

I am trying to work out why my M15-9 CNC control will not come online. I got the machine last year, but the control never turned on when I got it. Someone had previously been inside the control console as the DC power supply was wire tied in place, I had a "tech" take a look at it. The power supply was replaced. The control still never came online, it would partially boot up then stop at a DOS screen. The screen shot is shown, the machine sat for almost a year until I was able to get back to it. I am now going over the work the "tech" did and I noticed a discrepancy between the wiring diagram (shown) and the board in question. The CN5 connector is shown on the diagram as being the DC power supply, however, the CN5 slot on the board has nothing connected. I did the most logical thing I could do and checked the rest of the console for a connector that may have gone in the CN5 slot, but there is none that will fit. The CN5 slot is a 7x2 pin receptacle, but the only free wires are two 4x1 pin connectors (shown). One of the connectors has a branch wire that goes to the backlight inverter for the LCD screen. The motherboard has a connector in the 20 pin board slot marked "PWR2", this connector goes back to the power supply directly. Should the motherboard CN5 connector have DC power supply connected to it as per the wiring diagram? If so does anyone have a pinout of that slot to ensure I connect the correct pins. Where would the other two 4-pin connectors go?
M15 boot error.JPG
CN5 connector.JPG
M15 ununsed connections.JPG
CN5 mother board.JPG
IMG_20190609_182757965 3.JPG
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No

Re: M15-9 wiring pin DC power supply

Post by tblough »

If the computer boots it's getting power. Where are the two "spare" connectors coming from?

Based on the message on the screen, it can't find the hard drive (I believe these were Compact Flash cards). Looking at the pics, it doesn't look like a drive is connected to CN4.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
SShep71

Post by SShep71 »

The slot to the left of the CN2 (in the picture) is for a VGA connector according to the print on the board. The wiring schematic and the board do not correspond to each other directly as for the layout of the connectors. I kind of thought there had to be power since the board was doing something at the time I got the boot screen. I just wasn't sure if there was some sort of correlation between CN5 being open and the boot error. I was thinking of re-seating the flash card and reassembling then trying again.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You have an Aaeon PCM-6893B motherboard, which is not the original motherboard shown on the old schematic. This control was probably upgraded sometime in the 2006-2009 time frame.

As Tom points out, you need to have an IDE hard drive plugged into the "IDE1" ribbon cable socket and into a corresponding hard disk drive or equivalent; and that hard disk drive needs to be supplied with power.

In the fourth picture you posted, it is apparent there is nothing plugged into the IDE1 header (adjacent and parallel to the PC104 socket).

None of your pictures show whether or not there is a hard disk drive or compact flash reader and card anywhere in the console. Given the Aaeon motherboard, I would expect an IDE compact flash adapter and card.
Attachments
PCM6893Manual.pdf
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
SShep71

Post by SShep71 »

I will try to reassemble everything and I will report anything I find. Thanks!
SShep71

Post by SShep71 »

I reassembled the console, hooked everything up and still only boots to Detecting IDE drives. I did reattach the ribbon cable from the IDE slot to the CompactFlash drive. The CompactFlash drive is co-located with the 3.5 floppy. Both have ribbon cables attached, both have power supply plugs connected. The light for the 3.5" floppy comes on solid, I cannot hear the floppy drive spin up. The compact flash is a Linux Ver 2.36. I know that the one ribbon cable can be hooked up wrong on the floppy drive as it only has a missing pin for orientation, however the flash drive has a perimeter and a alignment slot. I am not sure where to go from here.
Attachments
floppy compact flash drive.JPG
IMG_20200916_194132347.jpg
compact flash.JPG
floppy compact flash drive 2.JPG
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Is the IDE ribbon cable also oriented correctly where you plugged it back into the IDE1 header on the motherboard?

Is it fully seated? Those compact headers have short pins, so they are more prone to partial connections.

If you press DEL on startup and navigate to the BIOS Setup menus, Standard CMOS Setup, what does it show next to "IDE Primary Master"?
SShep71

Post by SShep71 »

Took the console apart today and swapped the power cables for the floppy and compact flash drive. I also took apart the floppy drive to ensure I was using the correct pin as pin 1. Once I reassembled everything the console came online. I was able to get the "home machine" screen but when I press cycle start to home the machine the console just reverts back to "home machine screen" and the axis do not move. I see I have the "401" PLC failure detected error, and "106" PC Clock appears to be set to 2004. I attached screen shots, I also took a screen shot of the error history, and of the unlocked options. I will have to take the console back apart tomorrow and look for the loose connections with wire and fiber, and look for other issues that can be causing the 401 error. From the error log it seems as if there has been a lot of the 401 errors in the machines past. I am not sure what has caused this yet, however, I will continue to post updates. I appreciate the help and am glad to finally see the console come online. Any suggestions for the 401 error or how to change the clock would be great. I am assuming that the clock was reset when I changed the battery on the motherboard last year when I got the machine, but I maybe wrong. Thanks again!
Attachments
M15 home machine error.JPG
M15 options activated.JPG
M15 error history.JPG
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You need to go to the BIOS Setup menus to set the date and time (and also to set the display panel resolution to 640x480 so you can see the whole screen). To get to the BIOS Setup menus you need to persistently press the DEL key on the external keyboard during the initial power-on self test.

Look up Centroid's tech bulletin 114 for recommended BIOS settings for your PCM-6893 motherboard.