Hitachi Seiki 3ne-300 Is it worth converting?

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

MachineMade
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hitachi Seiki 3ne-300 Is it worth converting?

Post by MachineMade »

Hello all. I have recently seen a Mori/ Oak conversion done by an acquaintance. I have a good deal of time invested in maintenance in my old Hitachi Seiki and it never fails that when it's really time for me to make chips something happens and I spend a week or two with the machine down and playing service tech. The idea of having a modern control, modern can cycles, conversational programming, g- code command of the chuck, and so on is appealing. But even more so is the idea of having updated drives and servos and no old tiny memory on huge boards with caps all leaking and about to fail. Hopefully replaced with something fairly common and ubiquitous.

I don't mind updating the dc servos and drives to modern ac. But what has me questioning things is the 10hp dc spindle motor. I would like to simplify the machine as much as possible. Possibly doing away with all the transformers? Or if they are unlikely to fail they can stay? So what methods of working with a DC spindle motor are there? Will a method of driving it cost as much as a used replacement AC motor and then a bit more for a common vfd?

And I would much rather convert old Japanese iron than buy mid 90's and still wind up with the service headaches of aging factory equipment. Sadly I'm usually the service tech so Centroid becomes very appealing in that light.

It may be that I would be better off waiting for the right slightly newer (not 78/79) lathe with an AC Spindle motor to surface? However I own this one and it would be far more valuable to me if I could rely on it. Sorry for the tire kicking thread. But I know some of you out there will have some incite on this. Thanks in advance!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Hitachi Seiki 3ne-300 Is it worth converting?

Post by martyscncgarage »

Sure anything is doable.
Pictures of the machine, control cabinet, which control is on it now, what servo motors on it, hydraulics? How does the turret operate? Hydraulic? Electric motor? Can you post a link from YouTube to a machine like yours?

DO YOU HAVE THE SKILL, TIME, and PATIENCE to do such a control conversion? Have you done one before?
Last thing you want to do is tear the machine apart and get in over your head and end up with a scrap machine.
You have to factor your down time plus cost to refit. Does it make more sense to buy a newer machine with a more modern control?
That said, you know the condition of the machine, the tolerance it holds. This is what Centroid was made for.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
MachineMade

Post by MachineMade »

As far as doing the conversion myself I believe with documentation and the forum I can likely do the conversion myself. I have been employed as an Automation Service Technician in the past so I have some experience with similar automation controls (components), Electronics, Hydraulics, pneumatics etc. Though I will admit I am rather green in comparison to others. I am also a Amateur Radio operator and dabble with linux and raspberry pi, Cabling, interface and such. More than anything I am pretty good at tinkering and accepting that there is always a lot to learn. I'm probably not a master of much other than tinkering (lol). But I have some understanding of what is ahead.

I'm not saying it will come easy but it won't be my first time dealing with some of these components. Looking at the Mori the other day I was able to pretty easily get a handle on most of the conversion components at a glance.

Mostly I'm wondering about how to handle the spindle. I'll post some photos and videos in a bit.

The machine seems to hold tolerance well. I see no signs of the turret being out of alignment or anything and do not seem to have to offset much if at all after the machine is warm.

The current control is Fanuc 5t I am using a BTR board and dedicated lap top to feed it programs. The turret I had assumed may be Hydraulic I'll have to try to verify I've not notices a motor or servo for it. I'll investigate further.
martyscncgarage

How many HP Spindle? Whether or not you can use the existing spindle drive is important and could be a big expense if it has to be replaced.
Pictures would be a big help. Since you have experience and IF you enjoy it, yes, most likely you could tackle the conversion and save money.

You will need to know how the turret operates and what it takes to operate it.
Good luck.
Mesa, AZ
MachineMade

Post by MachineMade »

Sorry I lost my post I just typed out. I have yet to find a wiring schematic for the machine. So I may have to do quite a bit of tracing or just start component level. I'm hoping to find one on another forum. But it should be doable broken down to a component level as I go. I'll post a video of the machine soon.

10hp (DC) Spindle Motor
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... _oabFeyp5b

Fanuc X Servo (DC)
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... S5fu63iNKY

Fanuc Z Servo (DC)
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... _-V-se9jtG
MachineMade

Post by MachineMade »

I must be an old guy now. How do we embed photos now that photobucket isn't free? lol
martyscncgarage

MachineMade wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:48 pm Sorry I lost my post I just typed out. I have yet to find a wiring schematic for the machine. So I may have to do quite a bit of tracing or just start component level. I'm hoping to find one on another forum. But it should be doable broken down to a component level as I go. I'll post a video of the machine soon.

10hp (DC) Spindle Motor
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... _oabFeyp5b

Fanuc X Servo (DC)
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... S5fu63iNKY

Fanuc Z Servo (DC)
https://photos.google.com/u/2/photo/AF1 ... _-V-se9jtG
Your google links don't work. Likely because you copied the URL from the address bar.
To share a google album, you click on the three dots with two lines between them triangularly, it is the SHARE link Then click create link. THEN use that link to paste into the message.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Might be better to click the SHARE icon for the ALBUM, then create link and paste it here.
Mesa, AZ
MachineMade

Post by MachineMade »

As for the spindle drive that is one of the reasons I may consider not converting. I'd like to either replace the spindle drive or have a plan for replacement before the factory unit fails. I thought this would be the smartest place to sort that out. It may not be wise to convert or cost effective if I can source a machine better suited to conversion for the cost of having a reliable spindle drive/motor. However the gamble may be what will the ROI be if it lasts the next 5-10 years using the factory drive?

I am kind of tire kicking just to be transparent. I know your busy and appreciate the help. I do have the goal of converting some solid Japanese iron at some time. I think the serviceability and and agility of the control will pay off. Thanks again for your time.
martyscncgarage

What make model is the spindle motor? Make model of the spindle drive. Pictures???
Mesa, AZ