Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6200 on the All In One and 1814 on the Acorn
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

DC1 Wiring Question

Post by dbensavage »

I have a simple question on wiring the DC1 Power supply. The Schematic refers to the center 2 wires as 5v return. One is a black wire and one is green. What terminal do I hook these to on the meanwell supply? Also, where do I connect the bare Shield wire?
Attachments
IMG_4913.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG
cncsnw

Re: DC1 Wiring Question

Post by cncsnw »

At least one of them (e.g. the black one) should be connected to COM.

There is no pressing need for a shield on this cable, but if you wanted to, you could connect it to the Ground terminal on the power supply.

Note that the DC1 only uses 5VDC, not 12VDC. Therefore only two wires (red from +5V and black from COM) are necessary.
CJD
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CJD »

In the schematic green is always used for a ground connection...so your green should go to the ground. Common is less consistent colorwise. But, since the label it as a "return, the black wire would go to the comm connection. That said, if you ohm check the comm and gnd screws, there is a high probability that they are connected together anyway.
dbensavage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6200 on the All In One and 1814 on the Acorn
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by dbensavage »

The green and black are connected internally so i powered it up with the black wire on common and green wire disconnected. The DC1 fired up fine and went to 1 on the LED. Just wanted some input to make sure I didn't fry the DC1 right from the get go. :oops:

Thank you for the reply's!
Dennis
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Glad you noticed the the DC1 is displaying "1". The DC1 takes over the first drive position on the control forcing all the others down one in the list. Be sure to update Parameters 300-307. See https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/245.pdf
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

CJD wrote:In the schematic green is always used for a ground connection...so your green should go to the ground.
Never say always.

In the case of multiconductor cables (such as the 4-conductor that Centroid uses to make the factory DC1 power cable), the green strand may very well be used for something other than chassis ground.

Coincidentally, in this case, if you were to hook up the green strand (redundant 0V/COM connection), you would be hooking it to the COM terminal of PS1, which typically happens to be grounded. But that does not make green a "ground" wire by purpose or function.
CJD

Post by CJD »

In my 2020 schematic for the AllInOneDC green is always a ground. It was the same in my 2000 vintage diagram that I ripped out. Black and red are not so consistent.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I see, you are talking about the colors of the text over the lines on the schematic; not the colors of the wires themselves.

I think dbensavage was asking about the wire that is colored green, in spite of its blue text on the schematic.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Not at all. I am going by thee "GRN" wire color labels on the schematics, which do happen to be green ink color too. Most of the schematic ink colors are by voltage, with the recommended wire colors labelled at each end of the wire run. Since ground is 0v AC or DC, they are consistently colored green ink and labelled green too. In my control box I can look at any green colored wire and immediately know it is a chassis ground. That is not always the case with some of the other wire colors...there is some overlap.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

What color is the wire that carries 24VAC from your console/pendant E-stop 4-pin plug, to the A1 terminal of your E-stop contactor?

What color is the wire that carries VFD sequence voltage from OUT5 to your VFD's "reset" input?