Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 30048
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Failed SD3

Post by moldmakerrich »

I have a Cincinnati Lathe with a Centroid T400 Control serial 30048. The SD3 went bad. I am wondering if I am better off to replace the control with an oak card and yaskawa motors and drives so I am compatible with other recent conversions or just try to get the SD3 repaired? Any thoughts?
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Re: Failed SD3

Post by eng199 »

SD drives are nearing end of life for practical purposes. Centroid will do their best to fix anything, but there are parts on SD1 and SD3 that will soon be unavailable. The DSPs have probably been at end of life status for over a decade. This will soon prevent any new replacement SD drives from being built.
moldmakerrich
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by moldmakerrich »

When I purchase a new controller, do I have to re-purchase the options that are on the T400 control?. Are the macros or sub-programs on the T400 compatible with an oak board and new software? Or am I starting from scratch?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

No.

If you order the new control (e.g. Oak or MPU11) as an upgrade to your previous control, and you return the CPU10 board from the old control, then Centroid will assign your existing software options to the new control.

Some subprograms and macros can run unmodified; others require editing. In general, if you are talking about CNC operation (moving the axes around) then they will run unmodified. If your macros are interacting with the PLC or with switch inputs, then it is likely that some changes will be required.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No

Post by martyscncgarage »

What's your budget?
How much do you want to invest in the machine?
Are YOU going to do the retrofit or pay someone to do the retrofit?
WHICH Cincinnati lathe do you have? Pictures?
Does it have a Turret?

More information about the machine will get you better suggestions. I say that because you don't have to start from square 1. You could probably get away with installing an All In One DC and get back up and going. IF your DC Servos are good and did not cause the SD3 failure.
Here is a tech bulletin on testing them: https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf

The quickest and likely most inexpensive way to get back up and running is test the motors first, then ship the SD3 back to Centroid for evaluation. If you can get it fixed and it lasts another 10 years great? BUT MAKE SURE YOU TEST THOSE SERVO MOTORS. Last thing you want to do is have the SD3 repaired, reinstall it and blow it again because one of the motors is bad. (You don't really go into detail as to why you think its bad)

You can also search for and WATCH for an SD3 to come up on ebay....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
aamir

Post by aamir »

For Cincinnati Milicron best option is go for oak+new yaskawa or Delta .
We did some Cincinnati lathe and mill trust me those m.c mechanical is for ever robust and heavy .
The Cincinnati lathe i did have huge 7 position turret
9.jpg
9.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
Worth while to invest .I don't think it's a good idea to go for SD3
moldmakerrich
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by moldmakerrich »

I plan to do the conversion myself. I just did a complete rebuild of a 600 ton injection molder including new controls and wrote the control software myself. My Cincinnati is a 208U (really a Hitachi Seiki) with a turret on it. It has Centroid servo motors on it (AC). Also 2 speed spindle, hydraulic chuck, tail stock with hydraulic quill, flood coolant, wash down coolant, chip conveyor and a bar feeder. The bar feeder is not currently connected. I am thinking of an oak board and yaskawa servo drives and motors. I have a couple of the same size sigma 5 motors and drives left over from another job. It currently has Centroid model T400 Serial 30048 control on it. I'm 90% sure the Centroid upgrade was purchased as a complete kit. Would the original wiring diagrams be available from that upgrade. That would make things easier than tracing wires. Since this is an upgrade of a Centroid control, do I get a discount on the new control?
What makes me think the SD3 is bad? I checked the power supply input. That seems to be good. I reviewed the tech bulletins from centroid and checked what the said to check, the error code indicates bad SD3 and checked the motors. The motors are not shorted or open and have close to the same resistance. None of the LEDs on the SD3 are lit as well