Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: z axis brake for router, all in one configuration

Post by martyscncgarage »

If you can turn the shaft, it does NOT have a brake.
Brake is ON by default.
Post pictures o the machine, and your cabinet.....
All that was in the album was a motor tag and about 5 pages of documents....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tomj
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0401202408
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tomj »

OK then Z axis has a brake, shaft does not turn, x and y have wires labelled brake the same colors and gauge that go into those motors but those motors spin freely. I actually did post loads of photos but for some reason even after reviewing them by pasting the link into a different browser and verifying everything looked as it should the images disappeared when I looked again after the latest reply- I think google is messing with me!... I just re posted all of the photos and reverified. dunno what is going on if they disappear again.....

link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wFsjzoRc2vhWMeaq9
1000's of industrial items for sale at industrialtoolandmachineworks.com
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, your PLC program has standard Z brake-release logic assigned to OUT9.

If you measure Ohms resistance across the two brake wires on the Z motor; and across the similar wires on your X and/or Y motors; what do you see?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The fault relay on Hitachi drives can be a little confusing.

In any case you want to wire 0VDC (the common level for your PLC inputs) to AL0.

Then, if the relay is activated when there is a fault, wire AL2 to PLC INP10. If the relay is activated when all is well (and deactivated when there is a fault) then wire AL1 to PLC INP10. Once you get that right, you can un-invert INP10.
tomj

Post by tomj »

X and Y axis brake wire resistance 88 and 95 Ohms (all 3 axes checked at the leads in the cabinet, not at the motor connector) on the Z brake 96 Ohms.
Thanks for the Hitachi info, Hitachi did not have documentation on this drive, only the (later?) units with pw24 terminals which use sourcing logic, mine has a CM1 terminal instead and is sinking. The manual even on that drive was not very good and I should give the info I was able to decipher (in my photos link) to someone who can put it where it can be found by whoever might need it.
How do I enable the AIO braking relay to close to allow the z axis motor to move? The system must do a momentary check on the servo/encoder as I got a "full power with no motion on z" error at start even without asking for an axis move (haven't got that far in configuration yet). My first go round, pretty cool system so far.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

There is something else going wrong here. I recommend uncoupling the motor from the axis (if it is installed), and connecting your 24VDC supply directly to the brake-release wires, so that the PLC and OUT9 relay are out of the picture.

When you do that, can you turn the motor shaft? If not, there is something wrong with your 24VDC supply, or with the brake mechanism.

If that frees the motor shaft, then (with the brake still released via the direct 24VDC connection) you can try jogging it with the control. If it runs away and says "position error", then you have a power/encoder polarity problem.

To answer your question: pressing F3/MDI will enable all axes, without actually trying to move any of them. If all work working properly, that would cause the Z brake to be released, and would cause the PID control loop to apply power to hold the motor in position.
tomj

Post by tomj »

OK good so the brake release is enabled in AIO by default. I checked the Z brake resistance again at the cabinet, 96 Ohms. I pulled the end cap again on the motor to be sure all the wiring and polarity is correct (it was) so connected it directly in series with an ammeter (I think it drew .33A or so if I remember correctly) and the brake still did not release, then used a slightly larger supply and connected it at the motor connector and the brake is still holding. There was no voltage applied to the servo MOTOR during this test. There was no solenoid sound from the motor. I have little servo knowledge. Is there a configuration where power to the braking leads actually only ENABLE the release of a brake that would release any time power is applied to the motor? If not then very strange as I can rotate the motor pulley with a pair of rubberized amphenol connector pliers against the brake and it has smooth and consistent drag, well, like an applied brake-(definitely not like a dropped magnet or something) that and the fact that I jogged all axes with the former fagor control about 2 months ago has me puzzled. I did think it a little strange that the brake wires to the cabinet are so light at 20ga but I guess if that is the correct amp draw maybe not. tomorrow I will put a torque wrench on the shaft and see how close the brake holding is to the rated 44in/lb. If the brake friction surface was stuck I don't think I would have been able to rotate the shaft at all, and if anything rotating it would have unstuck it. I think the only thing it could be if the brake is controlled by a solenoid is some corrosion or something on the moving solenoid core preventing it from moving. Any ideas?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

24 Volts / 96 Ohms = 0.25A. Even 24ga wire would be sufficient for that.

No, the brake does not interact with motor power at all. It is an entirely independent component that is clamped to the back end of the motor shaft.

If you apply 24VDC to the brake wires, and see over 0.3A flowing, but you still cannot turn the shaft, then something in the brake mechanism is stuck or faulty.
tomj

Post by tomj »

Thanks, time to visit a motor shop I guess.