CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC10 DCIO3 Opinion

Post by Samstu »

Hi All:

Here's my story: I'm looking at purchasing a mill (knee mill) with a Centroid Controller running CNC10 MIller v2.30. Centroid branded servos. DC3IO board in cabinet. Owned by a member of this forum who hasn't posted in years. This machine has been posted for sale for about 9 months (not on this forum).

I have done a bunch of reading on the web and think this is a redhat linux system of early to mid 2000 vintage.This appears to be a well done and well sorted out retrofit. Everything seems to be running fine at this time other than some mild vertical lines thru operator screen even when cold. (static vs dying component)

I am a hobbiest and this seems to do everything I would need to get started. I understand there may be some issues with finding compatible usb sticks or having an old computer for ethernet file sharing.

So, I there aren't many example like this available and I'm trying to determine a $ value of this machine to make offer or walk away.

Question 1: Are there many folks still running these older Centroid systems regularly in business settings? Or should I consider this obsolete similar to a working Boss or Anilam system?

Question 2. Is there anything to be gained by upgrading system with the MPU11 legacy product. Seems like a very simple upgrade. But I can't find any information regarding which features are gained when one changes from CNC10 to CNC12. This seems to be about a $2000-2500 upgrade. Would it be smarter to just put in an allin1 and start totally new, also not terribly difficult but more costly.

Question 3. I see notes about trial periods for features and feature transfer from version to version. But, I haven't found a list of available features or a price list, could somebody provide the link?

Thanks in advance.
cncsnw

Re: CNC10 DCIO3 Opinion

Post by cncsnw »

For a software options price list, see https://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/c ... e_list.pdf

I would say that a ca. 2006 Linux / CNC10 / v2.30 system is considerably more viable than a Boss or an Anilam 1200.

If you can upgrade it to CNC10 v2.72 (which often just requires additional RAM and a new compact flash card and adapter) then the network and USB support is considerably improved, and you get some expanded software features at no additional cost (see the above price list for mention of pre- and post- 2.68 structure).
Samstu
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Samstu »

Thank you CNCSNW that was very helpful.

Assuming a worse case scenario: What's the rough all in cost to upgrade to cnc10 v2.72 if I need a new motherboard? i'm looking for a ballpark figure and not an actual quote. I'm just trying to understand what I'm getting into by buying an older conversion vs just buying a good knee mill and doing a fresh conversion. Thanks in advance. PM me if you would rather.
Last edited by cncsnw on Tue May 26, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected cnc10 software version from "7.2" to "2.72"
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In the neighborhood of $800 for a used motherboard assembly suitable for v2.72, and an IDE compact flash adapter and card.

In the neighborhood of $2,400 for a new motherboard assembly, and a SATA SSHD with CNC10 v2.73 (based on a newer Linux version that works with more recent motherboards). That option assumes that you have a PCI-slot CPU10 board, and not an ISA-slot CPU7 board.

What is the Centroid control serial number of your control? It would be in the 20000 series if it is an M400S; or in the 3000 series if it is an M39S; or in the A50000 series if it is an Ajax-branded DIY control.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I just went through this with a KASUGA CNC Mill I got for not a lot of money.
I found what the lastest motherboards known to be compatible with the last revision of CNC10
I purchased on, I emailed a report, and purchased a SSD loaded with the software and configured.
Replaced the motherboard, installed the SSD and greatly improved USB issues. I could use a USB keyboard and was able to use several USB memory sticks.
I paid about $100 for a used motheboard, with CPU and memory on ebay.

Here are my notes from the experience:
Gigabyte motherboards, the one I went with was the GA-78LMT-S2. Processor type wasn't an issue.

GA-M68M-S2P 2.72 with IDE compact flash

GA-M68MT-S2P v2.36 to V2.72 with SATA Compact flash. Current SATA compact flash readers require the older 400x compact flash.

GA-78LMT-S2 2.73R80 SSD

GA-H81M-S2PV 2.73R80 SSD, requires updated video drivers.

ASUS H81M-C/CSM 2.73R80 SSD, requires updated video drivers

How much is the machine? Got pictures? Can you get a report from the machine? F7 Utilities, F7 Create Report

In any case, Marc is right, its a good control.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Samstu

Post by Samstu »

Wow. What a trove of information. Thanks to both of you.

I will request a report from machine and get control serial number.

PM sent to Marty.

Thanks again. Sam
Samstu

Post by Samstu »

Hello again:

Model m400s
serial 20135 (or maybe 20735) Image is a bit blurry. It's attached. It was a bit easier to read on my cell.

Any interesting facts or info to be gleaned from this information.

Seller also confirmed that he was able to transfer files to and from a USB drive without difficulty.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Sam
Attachments
123_1.jpg
msg_log.txt
(82.4 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
report.txt
(37.16 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It would be 20735 (based on the CPU board ID of 1107060648, which indicates it was built in November of 2007).

Chances are very good that the existing motherboard would run v2.72. Just add a 1GB memory stick (DDR or DDR2, depending on which motherboard it has) and install a new IDE compact flash drive with the 2.72 system.
Samstu

Post by Samstu »

Wow. Great information. Thank you so much
Sportbikeryder
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Sportbikeryder »

We have a 2008 Centroid E320 with 5 axis head porting package (trt-32). We use it to port heads on many of the fastest dragracing "streetbikes" on the planet.

I am still very happy with it and it works well. Very few issues and Centroid has been more than exceptional with any support questions I have had with a few hiccups along the way.

I also have a small DIY Ajax supplied lathe with a DC3io. It is not quite as robust as the Centroid built machine, although it is more of the DIY part and configuration I am sure.

The USB thumbdrive part is a small concern, and I cannot determine with any consistency which thumb drives will work or not, more of a trial and error. Once you find a working drive, it always work, it isn't an intermittent thing, rather some sort of compatibility thing. Older and lower capacity seem to be best. I have had great luck with using SD card readers (USB Adapter for a standard SD card)

I have a 5 axis Fusion 260 post made for it, but have not yet tested it to determine if the axis offset is correct and speed calcs are accurate.

John