Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

***RESOLVED*** Axis Z following error

Post by sandcrab123 »

Good day,

Making good progress on my Mach3 ajaxallinone install. While calibrating the motors to move exact distance with a known 3" block, I was able to get X and Y dead on. I tried to do the same with the Z axis but I am getting the following error: "Axis Z following error". In MDI I reset all DRO's and commanded g1 z-3 f20. My z axis moves down 2.35" and then stops and triggers the estop. It still has plenty of travel before hitting the limit switch.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
sandcrab123

Re: Axis Z following error

Post by sandcrab123 »

Good Morning,

Well I hate it when I have to answer my own posts, but I realize that this was probably an unusual error as I created the problem myself! While doing some more testing on my machine this weekend, I suddenly realized that my test setup was such that the diameter of my spindle was actually coming down on to my 1-2-3 block before my dial gauge. This must have resulted in an overcurrent situation in my allinone and thus generated the error code in Mach3. So, good news and learnings: 1. Coming down against a solid block with the z axis will not destroy my machne and the overload protection will trigger an estop and an alarm. 2. Get more familiar with my machine and pay better attention to my setups!

Onward and upward.

Comments from the tech team are always appreciated. :)

Dan
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Glad to hear you worked it out.

Please keep in mind that, while there is over current protection in the drive help protect your machine and the drive/motor against a stall condition,
it IS possible to damage your machine, blow up the drive, burn up a motor or all of the above even with the stall protection. Consider yourself lucky :-)

Bad things almost certainly would have happened if you had come down hard into the block but the way you were moving allowed the stall detection to save you - I suspect that you were intensely watching your indicator for movement while very slowly bringing the spindle down (until it unknowingly stalled against the block).
sandcrab123

Post by sandcrab123 »

Your right Scott. It could have been a lot more serious. Still, it's comforting to know there are some safety measures built into your system. My conversion is going well and I hope to have the spindle VFD hooked up this weekend. I'm impressed with the speed of the old Fanuc brushed servos. I look forward to submitting some before and after pictures soon.

Thanks for your help,

Dan