Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 103298
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

M400 control freezing up when jogging

Post by jake2465 »

My mill is running a 2019 M400 with Estun servos & drives.

I am having this issue that seems to be getting progressively worse. It happens whenever I want to use the mill manually such as jog it or press the tool check button (during non-program moves such as setting z heights and such). Basically, the control jog functions fail to move the servos, and I have to engage the E-stop and then disengage it to get the control to once again accept input from the jog buttons.

Also, I have noticed that when I use the tethered hand pendant, the mill now does this thing where if I set the rotary switch on the pendant to, say, the x-axis or y-axis, and I move it, then it's fine until I switch to another axis and then the first few input pulses from the pendant will still move the previous axis until it finally moves the correct one. These problems are common and happen several times during jog operations but not every single time. It's just getting a bit ridiculous now with how often I have to press the E stop to get the control back to functioning.

Has anyone come across this problem?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: M400 control freezing up when jogging

Post by martyscncgarage »

jake2465 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm My mill is running a 2019 M400 with Estun servos & drives.

I am having this issue that seems to be getting progressively worse. It happens whenever I want to use the mill manually such as jog it or press the tool check button (during non-program moves such as setting z heights and such). Basically, the control jog functions fail to move the servos, and I have to engage the E-stop and then disengage it to get the control to once again accept input from the jog buttons.

Also, I have noticed that when I use the tethered hand pendant, the mill now does this thing where if I set the rotary switch on the pendant to, say, the x-axis or y-axis, and I move it, then it's fine until I switch to another axis and then the first few input pulses from the pendant will still move the previous axis until it finally moves the correct one. These problems are common and happen several times during jog operations but not every single time. It's just getting a bit ridiculous now with how often I have to press the E stop to get the control back to functioning.

Has anyone come across this problem?
Jake, could you please post a fresh report? Usually F7 Utilities, F7 Create Report. There is lots of information about your machine's control setup and logs to look at.

Who built the control? Pictures would be good too....
We ask that users requesting assistance please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
The more information we have the better information we can provide you...
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
jake2465
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by jake2465 »

Sure thing. When I posted last night I was already home and not at the shop. Here is the report.
Attachments
report_0627180629_2019-04-17_13-57-41.zip
(133.55 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Do you have the time and date set correctly on your control computer?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Your initial post indicates that the problem only affects jogging and the Tool Check function.

Does this mean that all four axes move normally and without error when you are running CNC programs?

Is there a reason you have opted not to home to the switches or use software travel limits?
jake2465

Post by jake2465 »

No, I don't believe I have set the date and time correctly. Also, the control computer that is currently on the mill is not the original as the one I purchased in 2018 had a graphics failure. So, this version I have is a CNC12, not a CNC11.

that is correct, it works wonderfully during a program. no hiccups. It is only when jogging around and using the pendant that I run into these problems of the mill acting up.

I do not use home switches or soft limits. For the time being, I have no use for a home routine. I never load any parts on there that could risk hitting the limit switches.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The report file you posted was from CNC11, not from CNC12. It was made at a time that the computer clock showed April 17, 2019. Was that today?

At the moment when the axis jogging controls spontaneously stop working, does any new message appear in the message window in the upper right part of the screen?

If at that point (when you try to jog an axis but it does not move), you look at the Alt-i display, is OUT1 ("NoFaultOut") still green? Or has it changed to red? Is MEM47 "Stop_M" red, or green? Is MEM48 "Stall_M" red, or green?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

In your logs I saw this:
(1) 04-12-2019 8:59:44 410 Z axis(3) position error
(1) 04-12-2019 8:59:54 406 Emergency stop detected
(1) 04-12-2019 11:46:21 417 Abnormal end of job
(1) 04-12-2019 11:47:07 Exiting CNC and shutting down machine (68)

What caused the Z axis position error? Did you hit a hard stop?
Occasionally I see limits tripped. Do you have limits on the machine? If so, is there a reason you did not hook them up or configure them properly?
Did you do the Oak installation?
As Marc noted, you are running CNC11 version 3.16, not CNC12
You might fix the time and date issue.
You running Windows 8?

Is the problem repeatable? In otherwords, can you recreate it and if you can, can you take a video clip?
Would like to see your machine and inside of your control cabinet.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
jake2465

Post by jake2465 »

Ok, so from fooling around with it some more, I believe the problem may be the servo tuning. whenever I use the MPG to jog the servos, the servos end up getting a little unsettled. This issue happens primarily with the Z-axis servo. when I use the MPG to jog it and I stop, I notice that the "load bar" under the axis name on the main screen starts to look noisy or flicker a bit. I don't hear noise coming from the servo or anything like that. whenever I see that and I go jogging the machine with the jog pad on the control, it will not want to move. I have to hit the E-stop and then reset it to stop the servo(s) from doing that.

I don't know if the log will reveal what settings have been used for the Ki, Kp, Kd, etc... If I had to guess, I would say something is not right in that department.
jake2465

Post by jake2465 »

Jefco MSI from West Alexandria Ohio did the installation for me. When the install was being performed, I was informed that they were much more used to installing Yaskawa servos with their retrofits and the only Estun servo drive installs they performed before my retrofit was with Acorn boards. In other words, they had not had to tune a Estun system with PID before because they had only done step and direction with them in the past. I was their first customer with that setup according to them.

The cabinet looks quite nice and professional. Cables and wires have been routed in conduit wherever possible.