Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Fusion and Intercon

Post by Samandkimberly »

Background: I’m a mechanical engineer by trade (industrial automation). I have a relatively solid knowledge of manual machining, and have been using CAD (mostly Rhino/Solidworks) as a tool for years. Let’s say I have an intermediate level of all of those. Recently I replaced my Bridgeport with a Fryer bed mill and completely updated the controls with an All-in-0ne. It works great, and I’m enjoying drilling/milling new holes in my vise jaws and making scrap metal as I learn how comparatively unforgiving CNC is compared to manual work.

I’m also picking up Fusion 360, so I can integrate my CAD and CAM skills. So far the CAD transition is going well, but I still feel like a Fusion novice. I have yet to take a model, generate tool paths, load it into the mill and cut chips; generally I model a bit up and use Intercon for the machine work.

My question: I’m at a stage where I’m understanding Intercon well, and it’s not holding me back. But I’d like to move towards the whole Fusion CAD/CAM experience. I’m considering buying the Intercon PC license and starting by doing some of this at my desk, instead of at the mill. As a next step, I’m wondering if is can build tool paths in Fusion, then view them (in G Code) in the Intercon editor.

Is this possible? Does this make sense? Anyone else made this transition?

Thanks,

Sam
cncsnw

Re: Fusion and Intercon

Post by cncsnw »

Intercon does not edit or display G codes. What it shows you on the conversational menus is the content of a native Intercon program file.

However, if you install the offline or demo version of CNC12 (which you are doing, if you install offline Intercon) then you can use CNC12 to graph any G code toolpath, regardless of origin; and you can use whatever text editor you like to view and edit the G codes.
Samandkimberly
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Samandkimberly »

Thanks. Its having that entire environment on the same PC as my CAD software that I think I want.

The obvious answer is for me to download the demo and try it out. Dunno why I didn't just do that; i'll try over the weekend.

Sam
Sportbikeryder
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Sportbikeryder »

Last edited by Sportbikeryder on Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sportbikeryder
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Sportbikeryder »

Fusion 360 has its own simulator built in and really has nothing to do with Intercon. After loading the processed code into your control, you can still graph the toolpath, however the internal simulation in CAM packages does much more than just graph the toolpaths. Toolpaths and/or actual cutting simulation can be done as well as comparisons with the solid models used to generate the paths, tooling and fixture interference, etc.

Lars Christiensen has a multitude of videos availabel for tips and tricks with Fusion 360
https://www.youtube.com/user/cadcamstuff/videos
BodeRacing
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes

Post by BodeRacing »

I'm in a similar position as you. I'm decent now with Intercon and am just starting with Fusion 360. I am only familiar with AutoCad 2010 2D so its going to be a learning curve for me to work with 3D. I am concerned if AutoDesk will mess with Fusion 360 so I am leary about putting effort into learning Fusion 360 and then its not going to be a long-term option.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Fusion 360 is a direct lead in to Inventor. I came out of the autocad world. Autocad was the premier drafting software, but Autodesk figured out that the core programming was deficient as they moved into 3D modelling. Fusion takes a whole different direction, and the Autocad background may hurt your thought process until you get the "hang of" Fusion modelling.

When I got my AllInOneDC up and running, I had no CNC experience. I am back into milling after a 40 year break...so CNC was a mystery. Like you, I started with Intercon, and even bought the extended (read thumb drive) license. In hind sight it was a total waste of time and money. Fusion is superior in every way. I even asked Centroid support why I would ever need Intercon, and the only response was "it is quicker to learn". But even they agreed the Fusion/Inventor are far superior. Lately I have been running 100k+ lines of G code. Can you even imagine how long it would take to program 100k lines one motion at a time in Intercon? With Fusion I can build the part and set up the code in about an hour.

The hardest part I had with Fusion was realizing that some of the cutting strategies are for roughing, and others are for finish work. If you hover the mouse over the strategy, it will tell you which is which. The finish strageies can be used for roughing, but if you finish with a roughing strategy, it will be a sub-standard finish on the part.

The simulation in Fusion is light years above the graphing in Intercon. You can spin your work while watching the tool do it's thing. It will tell you if tool loading is high or you are impacting your work. It remembers what the last operation did, so the next one doesn't plan to remove extra stock.

Once you are comfortable with Fusion, you can rough together a simple part and set up the machining in under a minute. It is worth the extra effort to figure it out!
BodeRacing
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes

Post by BodeRacing »

CJD wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 am Fusion 360 is a direct lead in to Inventor. I came out of the autocad world. Autocad was the premier drafting software, but Autodesk figured out that the core programming was deficient as they moved into 3D modelling. Fusion takes a whole different direction, and the Autocad background may hurt your thought process until you get the "hang of" Fusion modelling.

When I got my AllInOneDC up and running, I had no CNC experience. I am back into milling after a 40 year break...so CNC was a mystery. Like you, I started with Intercon, and even bought the extended (read thumb drive) license. In hind sight it was a total waste of time and money. Fusion is superior in every way. I even asked Centroid support why I would ever need Intercon, and the only response was "it is quicker to learn". But even they agreed the Fusion/Inventor are far superior. Lately I have been running 100k+ lines of G code. Can you even imagine how long it would take to program 100k lines one motion at a time in Intercon? With Fusion I can build the part and set up the code in about an hour.

The hardest part I had with Fusion was realizing that some of the cutting strategies are for roughing, and others are for finish work. If you hover the mouse over the strategy, it will tell you which is which. The finish strageies can be used for roughing, but if you finish with a roughing strategy, it will be a sub-standard finish on the part.

The simulation in Fusion is light years above the graphing in Intercon. You can spin your work while watching the tool do it's thing. It will tell you if tool loading is high or you are impacting your work. It remembers what the last operation did, so the next one doesn't plan to remove extra stock.

Once you are comfortable with Fusion, you can rough together a simple part and set up the machining in under a minute. It is worth the extra effort to figure it out!
Great information. Thank you!

Sounds like I need to step up my Fusion 360 learning...........
CJD

Post by CJD »

Another great thing about Fusion is the wealth of tutorials available. Here is the guy with a whole series of learning tutorials that I used to learn the most the fastest. There are also many others if you don't like his teaching style.

After an hour watching his vids I was able to start drawing. After a weekend I outpaced Intercon by a mile. The key is getting the hang of the way drawings are done...they are completely different from the old Cad drafting programs. The more time you have on Cad, the more you find yourself being stubborn. Once you let go and it clicks, 3D modelling is ultra fast, and it is designed around making changes in seconds instead of hours in CAD.

The CAM portion is easy, but the initial start is tricky. Before you can cut anything, you have to run a "Setup", to orient the stock metal to the part and align the axis how you want. You then select the operations you choose. When you need to flip the part...new setup and then back into the operations. Good luck and have fun!