Setting up new motor/encoder on Wesel bed mill (RESOLVED)

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

nop
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Setting up new motor/encoder on Wesel bed mill (RESOLVED)

Post by nop »

Hi everyone. Sorry if this question has been covered elsewhere on the forum. I dug around quite a bit and read the "Encoder Basics" thread but couldn't find an answer.

I have a bed mill that was set up by Wesel/First with an M-15 controller and SEM servo motors. Sadly, the Z-axis was busted when I got to it. (I'm not sure if the problem was with the motor or encoder, but I was told it was the motor.) I bought a rebuilt unit from Radwell with the same model number (MTS30U4-42), hoping it would make replacement straightforward. Unfortunately, the encoder on the new motor is lower profile, and despite having the same model number, the new motor body is shorter overall, so maybe it's not quite the same. After installing it, I tried running an autotune, but the controller cancelled itself while running the Z-axis with a "Z-axis position error." I attempted to jog the Z-axis via the +/- buttons on the control panel, which was also problematic, resulting in motion in only one direction.

According to Radwell, the new encoder is an Accu-coder 755A-01-S-1000-R-HV-1-SF-S-N. The M-15 was previously configured for an 8000 counts/rev encoder. I don't know how the 1000 cycles/rev in the Accu-coder model number relates to that, but I tried changing the "Encoder counts/rev." in the controller config to various values and either none were appropriate, or some other configuration is also incorrect. I am able to jog in both directions with different counts/rev specified, but in that case also quickly encounter "Z-axis full power w/o motion" errors.

I've attached a bunch of photos and will also post files from the M-15's "Report" function. Hopefully someone will recognize the mistakes I'm making.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_20191021_151017873-sm.jpg
IMG_20200316_135412952-sm.jpg
IMG_20200316_143948919-sm.jpg
IMG_20200410_114420328-sm.jpg
IMG_20200410_114442753-sm.jpg
IMG_20200422_121605772_HDR-sm.jpg
IMG_20200422_121728170-sm.jpg
IMG_20200422_121738615-sm.jpg
IMG_20200428_121754342-sm.jpg
IMG_20200428_122523937-sm.jpg
Last edited by nop on Thu May 07, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nop

Re: Setting up new motor/encoder on Wesel bed mill

Post by nop »

Here's report.zip and some encoder info.
Attachments
encoder specs - 0.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
encoder drawing - 0.pdf
(299.95 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
report.zip
(5.76 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i would guess the encoder is a 1000 line which is 4000 counts per rev. before running auto tune you have to make sure the installed encoder is working correctly, does it count up and down properly in the PID screen? you can look at the allin1dc manual for guidance on this process. best move would have been to order a replacement motor from centroid and it would have been plug and play:-))
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
nop

Post by nop »

cnckeith wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:40 pmbest move would have been to order a replacement motor from centroid and it would have been plug and play:-))
No doubt! Somehow that perfectly obvious idea didn't even cross my mind. Live and learn. Next time I will take that route, for sure.
cnckeith wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:40 pmi would guess the encoder is a 1000 line which is 4000 counts per rev. before running auto tune you have to make sure the installed encoder is working correctly, does it count up and down properly in the PID screen? you can look at the allin1dc manual for guidance on this process.
I didn't know about the procedure for confirming encoder communication, so thanks for the tip! It will be my next step.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Next, you will likely find that the real problem is that you need to reverse the polarity of the power going to the motor.

Then, if you find that it moves under control with no stall message, but moves the wrong way, report back here and we can go over how to reverse direction and correct the limit switches to match.
nop

Post by nop »

Thanks again for the tips, and sorry it's taken me a while to respond. Unfortunately, the machine is an hour and a half away, and this virus lock-down business doesn't make getting up there any easier.

Today, I disconnected the Z-axis motor from the machine and did the manual encoder test. Feedback is smooth, but absolute position decreases with CCW motion (increases w/CW motion), so opposite from what the manual specifies. Does it sound like reversing the polarity of power to the motor should be the next step? Or is enabling direction reverse in the controller configuration an option?

Thanks!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you get a runaway and "410 ... position error" whenever you try to move, then you should reverse the polarity of the power to the motor.

The "Direction Reversal" software setting is for matching the motor+encoder combination to your preferred axis direction, after you have the motor and encoder wired to match each other.
nop

Post by nop »

OK, thanks for clarifying that, snw. I'll keep the direction reversal setting unchanged ("N") for the time being.

Something I didn't consider yesterday was whether the result of the absolute position test depended on the counts/rev value set in the encoder configuration. Should I try again after setting it to 4000? I believe it was still at the original 8000 when I did the test.

Assuming that's not the issue, should my next step be to reverse polarity of power to the motor? When I first installed the motor and ran autotune, the controller gave a "Z-axis position error" (I didn't see a 410 code, but maybe that's due to the software version). Those errors seemed to be replaced by "Z-axis full power w/o motion" after I changed the encoder counts/rev to 4000.

One more question: is it OK to run the motor without a load on it (with it disconnected from the machine)?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The "Abs Pos" display is in raw encoder counts, and thus is not affected in any way by the Counts/Rev and Revs/Inch values on the Machine Configuration screen.

Yes, it is okay to run servo motors with no load on them.
nop

Post by nop »

That's great to know. The next chance I get, I'll crack open the cabinet and try reversing polarity on the Z-axis.

Thanks, again!