Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "Post" Format Using Inventor HSM

Post by CJD »

I've had a laser engraver(cutter) for 13 years. There is no limit to the projects you will come up for it! The kids have had dozens of jobs for school projects. I bought it when I was manufacturing RC airplane servo mounts out of plywood, and it served well for many years doing that with steady jobs. Now days I mostly use it to cut gaskets for all my rebuilds...and occasionally something nice engraved for the wife. I did have to have the tube re-charged a couple years ago. They say non-use is harder on the tubes than steady use. Anyway...you will love having the cutter.
CJD
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by CJD »

Well, I've called Josh back a couple times with no response. The generic HAAS post program has been working, though. I'm still looking forward to a job that wraps the toolpath to make sure it's 100%.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Well, I guess I will follow up and close out this thread. I never got a hold of Josh, after calling several times. The Centroid post file still only works for 3 axis jobs. It crashes for every job requiring 4th axis movement. I have gotten the machine working well using the generic HAAS file, so I use that and all seems well.

One issue I found, that most probably already know about...I finally realized that if the machine is running a file, say job "NC1001", and you try to re-post onto that file while the job is active in the machine, it will crash the post. Best example is you start a job, but realize something is off or you missed something, then you hit tool check and try to re-post the new job with the fix. It will crash, as the machine is still using that file, even though it is in "tool check". This was adding to my frustration, as I could not figure out why the files would work one post and fail another. It depended on how I stopped the job before posting.

As for 4 axis milling. OMG is it cool! Having learned milling in the days prior to CNC, when 1 axis motion was the best you could do, it is mesmerizing watching a machine move in 4 axis simultaneously. I feel like I can finally say the Centroid conversion is complete...as I am able to fully use the machine now. The final test was machining an engine crankshaft out of billet stainless in a single set-up. Just plain amazing.

Josh...if you ever read this, it would still be nice to know why your post file won't work with your controls!!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Some 4th axis information can be found on the Acorn forum. I created this post which points to a thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4432

I am told to use Fanuc 0 and in the thread it is suggested on Marc Leonard's page on 4th axis to use Fanuc 10M
Anyway some good 4th axis reading in there.

http://www.cncsnw.com/4thHowTo.htm

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The context in which I suggested "Fanuc 10M" was in the available formats provided with the MillWrite engraving software v2.63.

The necessary feature in that format is that it correctly calculates feedrates that combine inches and degrees per minute, using the distance formula, based on the time required for the move segment to complete.

If you are looking at different postprocessors from different vendors for a different CAD/CAM system, then it is more important to look for one that calculates feedrates in an appropriate way.

Since most of you are using current CNC12 software, you could just as well choose a postprocessor that uses G93 inverse time instead. That was not an option with MillWrite 2.63 or with CNC7.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Thanks Marty. The first thread was very useful. It is very convenient to set the switch to turn the 4th axis on and off...very cool compared to what I was doing! I changed a few other parameters as a result of that thread, and will try the centroid post file again at some point. I like not having the number of rotations counted too. I see no reason to have that on any job, and it must be a left over from limited first generation controllers. There were several parameter 94 settings that I had read before but not understood at the time. Centroid should REALLY include 4th and 5th axis set-ups in the manual. There is nothing that consolidates it or explains even the basic set up.

I also set parameter 161, to tell the controller the 4th axis is along the x axis...and was tied to the parameter 131 setting. This is the setting that has me wondering if it was causing the post problem. The HSM knows which axis has rotation, but perhaps the controller needed to know too?!? We'll see on that one.

I am totally lost on the other thread and the Fanuc. I'll try to muscle through it at some point.

cncsnw, I think the feed speeds are being set in the HSM software. I assume the setting you are talking about would help in Intercon. I completely gave up on intercon. It's crap. The times I have tried it are when I am manual milling and need to do an arc, curve, or quick face operation. The arc is the most confusing interface I have ever used. It needs parameters that it will not take, so you have to choose one operation to insert the parameters, then exit and re-enter the operation you want to set the other parameters. There is no usable visual representation of what it is going to do...so I have to offset the part location to test run it. In the end, it is quicker for me to take no more than a minute to build a dummy part in inventor and use HSM to design the operation. I can then visually see with no ambiguity what the machine plans to do. I did the time to learn Intercon when I got the machine. I even paid Centroid for the expanded version...that has to have a thumb drive installed to use, by the way. It is simply a bad program compared to other options.

Please...don't try to explain Intercon. I've got it...just don't like it after using HSM.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Changing the parameters in 94, 131, and 161 did not enable the Centroid post format. So far the Haas format is batting 1000, though.