Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

FADAL TRM Running under OAK & DYN4

Post by martyscncgarage »

Ran simple circular pocket program, but FADAL TRM is running under OAK and DMM DYN4s and their 1.3kw AC Servos:
Knock on wood, no issues so far. Lots of minor clean up work to do....

Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Re: FADAL TRM Running under OAK & DYN4

Post by cncsnw »

Very nice.

Regarding GS3 deceleration, see P6.05 and P6.18 in the GS3 manual. You want to disable overvoltage stall prevention (6.05 = 1), then if possible reduce P6.18 so that dynamic braking kicks in earlier. Just take care to leave enough headroom between your normal DC bus voltage and P6.18, so that there is no danger of continuous discharge if your incoming voltage goes up a bit.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

cncsnw wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:06 am Very nice.

Regarding GS3 deceleration, see P6.05 and P6.18 in the GS3 manual. You want to disable overvoltage stall prevention (6.05 = 1), then if possible reduce P6.18 so that dynamic braking kicks in earlier. Just take care to leave enough headroom between your normal DC bus voltage and P6.18, so that there is no danger of continuous discharge if your incoming voltage goes up a bit.
Thank you Marc. Very much appreciated coming from you...
Will read the manual with the sections you suggested. Decelerating the spindle won't be super critical as this machine has no provisions for rigid tapping and in looking at the spindle, looks to be difficult to install an encoder. I'll have the head cover off today snap a couple of pictures.

I think this machine has an air seal for the spindle, I need to couble check that...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Working on air solenoids, I find the Fadal has one for a spindle air seal. I understand it needs to be ON when the spindle is running (I have no experience with these other than the Torq Cut 22 I had, which was always blowing air around the spindle @15psi. The FADAL only has one regulator and its supposed to be set at 80PSI, so I am assuming there is a restrictor orifice somewhere on the supply side of the solenoid valve)

Anyway, I need to program an output, most likely output 2 on Oak (TRM has no pressure lube system) to turn on when an M3 or M4 is called.
Suggestions?

Thanks in advace,
Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That is simple enough to do in the PLC. The no-brainer approach is to set your new output equal to the spindle run output:

Code: Select all

;...
SpindleAirPurge IS OUT2
;...
SpindleEnableOut IS OUT7
;...
; [usual logic to control SpindleEnableOut]
IF SpindleEnableOut THEN (SpindleAirPurge)
;...
A slight improvement would be to use a zero-speed signal from your inverter, so that the air purge can be maintained during deceleration.

I make a habit of always wiring a zero-speed input if it is available. It is useful for everything from tool-release inhibit, to brake control, to gear-shift control, to door lock control, etc..

On a GS3, spindle zero-speed is by default available on DO3. As a habit, I use the tan strand of the Alpha or West Penn inverter control cable, and wire it to INP12. On the GS3, you will also need to jumper your input common (0VDC, yellow strand) from where you already connected it on R1, over to DOC.

Of course, you could also just run the air purge whenever there is no E-stop or Fault condition:

IF !SV_STOP THEN (SpindleAirPurge)
Or, if you are going to do that, just wire it through an auxiliary contact on your E-stop contactor, and skip the PLC altogether.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 pm That is simple enough to do in the PLC. The no-brainer approach is to set your new output equal to the spindle run output:

;...
SpindleAirPurge IS OUT2
;...
SpindleEnableOut IS OUT7
;...
;...
A slight improvement would be to use a zero-speed signal from your inverter, so that the air purge can be maintained during deceleration.

I make a habit of always wiring a zero-speed input if it is available. It is useful for everything from tool-release inhibit, to brake control, to gear-shift control, to door lock control, etc..

On a GS3, spindle zero-speed is by default available on DO3. As a habit, I use the tan strand of the Alpha or West Penn inverter control cable, and wire it to INP12. On the GS3, you will also need to jumper your input common (0VDC, yellow strand) from where you already connected it on R1, over to DOC.

Of course, you could also just run the air purge whenever there is no E-stop or Fault condition:

Or, if you are going to do that, just wire it through an auxiliary contact on your E-stop contactor, and skip the PLC altogether.
Thank you Marc!
So if the Zero Speed signal is wired from the GS3, and I add the SpindleAirPurge line as you noted above, I assume then Output 2 will remain on until the Zero speed input goes active?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Marc, can you provide the Alpha or West Penn part number for the VFD cable you use? I have a shielded 8 conductor but am about out...
Thanks again!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Alpha Wire M4642, 22ga 15c.

That is more conductors than you need for a very basic system, but I just use the 15-conductor everywhere, so I can have the same color coding whether or not there is spindle orientation or an at-speed signal. Also, I nearly always connect a zero-speed signal and the analog load meter.
martyscncgarage

Thanks Marc
So to be clear, the SpindleAirPurge will remain active until the control gets the Zero Speed input from the VFD?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:55 pm That is simple enough to do in the PLC. The no-brainer approach is to set your new output equal to the spindle run output:

;...
SpindleAirPurge IS OUT2
;...
SpindleEnableOut IS OUT7
;...
;...

Marc, I am getting ready to make this mod. From my .src file:
; OAK PLC Output Definitions
; Logic 1 = OUTPUT ON (Green), 0 = OUTPUT OFF (Red)
; Note: Outputs 10 through 16 are physically unavailable
;----------------------------------------------------------------
NoFaultOut_O IS OUT1 ;SPST Type
Lube_O IS OUT2 ;SPST Type
Flood_O IS OUT3 ;SPST Type
Mist_O IS OUT4 ;SPST Type Can be configured for Mist_O or Clamp
InverterResetOut_O IS OUT5 ;SPST Type
WorkLightOut_O IS OUT6 ;SPST Type
SpindleEnableOut_O IS OUT7 ;SPST Type
SpindleDirectionOut_O IS OUT8 ;SPDT Type
ZBrakeRelease_O IS OUT9 ;SPDT Type

I assume once I change the Lube_O to SpindleAirPurge, I don't have to worry about the rest of the statements in the .src file?
There are many reference to Lube, timers etc. Do I need to comment out all of them? Or will there be any errors because now their is no Lube_O output and timers trying to run etc.

Wondering I should choose a less complex output to change like Flood_O since this is an open machine and uses Mist Coolant.

Thanks,
Marty
Mesa, AZ