CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport/Anilam Crusader M Conversion

Post by Reeltime273 »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking for some advise and/or recommendations on the conversion of my
Bridgeport Series 1 w/Anilam Crusader M, my controller has finely failed making this
machine totally unusable, however the DC Servo motor all function and are very sound. They
are Baldor/Anilam 140 VDC servos, my Bridgeport is powered via 3-phase on a 2 HP motor.

My current Anilam Crusader M has a high voltage cabinet on the rear of the machine and the
Anilam controls are on the right side of the machine, this cabinet is large and right now doesn't
have a bunch mounted inside, the PC boards are mounted on the door inside a card cage.
Unfortunately, I don't have a real good wiring schematic for this machine. I believe that most
of the components from the cabinets will be removed and the Allin1DC will control everything
from a single board. I know that I will be utilizing the original Anilam step-down transformer,
DC power supply capacitor and bridge rectifier, from what I can tell with the videos I have
watched via YouTube.

I have talked to tech support about my options and would like to utilize the Allin1DC CNC
controller with new encoders and already have a dedicated PC, in the beginning I will be
utilizing a standard monitor, keyboard and mouse but eventually would like to go to a
touch screen monitor. The Centroid CNC software also has a virtual button control panel,
however the virtual control panel does not have a true manual E-Stop. I will be installing
an additional manual E-stop during the retrofit, I know that I need some type of electrical
contactor and switch assembly, what is everybody utilizing or what do you recommend for the
E-Stop? It will be mounted into some type of box or panel on the front of the machine where it
can be utilized with ease. If anyone has photos of their machine that would also be appreciated.

Also looking at the Operators control pendent as an option, it seems a little too costly for a
hobbyist, is anybody utilizing the MPG as a viable option? I did see a another option in one of
the videos that they utilized a small USB programmable from X-Keys. Is anybody else utilizing
this option? Thoughts and/or recommendations.

I also have machine lube system mounted on the left side of the machine that can be controlled
by the Allin1DC board. Will I need any other type of control/electrical contactor for this setup?

Also I currently have a air controlled mist system on this machine, I would have liked to have
some type of flood coolant but on a knee type mill, it is way too messy. I assume that I will
need some type of air control solenoid to run the mist system, I would like to be able
to control it via the software with M codes to turn off and on. What are others utilizing and/or
recommend to for the mist control?

And but not least a VFD, Centroid CNC says that I can control spindle speed, forward/reverse speeds via
the software with a VFD and I was under the impression that I also needed a spindle encoder for this.
I have also been told that Bridgeport's are very difficult to install a spindle encoder, has anyone ever
done this?

I have attached some photos and know that someone has already been down this road before, I would
appreciate any recommendations, photos and/or options that others have utilized. I would like to get
questions answered before jumping into this project.

Thanks,
Mark
reeltime273@gmail.com
Attachments
Servo/Tach
Servo/Tach
Servo
Servo
Lube Pump
Lube Pump
Anilam Cabinet 1
Anilam Cabinet 1
Anilam Cabinet
Anilam Cabinet
High Voltage Cabinet 1
High Voltage Cabinet 1
High Voltage Cabinet
High Voltage Cabinet
Bridgeport Series 1
Bridgeport Series 1
cncsnw

Re: Bridgeport/Anilam Crusader M Conversion

Post by cncsnw »

It sounds like you have done your homework pretty well.

Yes, you will need to put encoders on the motors. You can remove the tachometers from them if you are so inclined.

Yes, you can reuse the original servo power supply: step-down transformer, bridge rectifier, and large capacitor.

Yes, you will need an Emergency Stop pushbutton, mounted in a location that is easy to reach. It should have two normally-closed contacts. You could use the one Centroid offers (https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... nents.html, near the bottom of the page); or you could use an E22LLB2B plus one additional E22B1 from Automation Direct; or any of countless others.

Yes, you will need an emergency stop contactor. There was a thread on that subject here recently. You probably have a surplus 24VDC supply as part of the old control (there are a couple supplies visible in your Anilam Cabinet 1 picture), so you might want to use a contactor with a 24VDC coil. You could also use one with a 120VAC coil, since that probably matches the other contactors that are already in place (the spindle reversing starter and, I assume, coolant pump starter that are to the left of the main switch in the power cabinet).

For a low-budget system, the on-screen virtual control panel, plus an actual emergency stop button, plus the wireless MPG pendant, make a fairly robust set of controls. The wireless MPG works pretty nicely. I do not recommend the X-Keys or Shuttle devices. They were nice stop-gap options before the VCP and wireless MPG came available, but will probably not be supported well going forward.

If you choose an emergency stop contactor with a 120VAC coil, and you later opt to add a Centroid wired control pendant, then ideally you will want to add an "ice cube" relay as an interface, so that the pendant cable only carries low voltage. For example, you could run 24VDC through the pendant circuit that normally controls the contactor coil; use that to power a small relay; and use the small relay to switch the 120VAC that closes the contactor.

The old servo drive cards, of course, go away. Likewise the green relay boards, and probably the ice cube relay on the side wall.

Assuming that your lube pump runs on 120VAC, you can switch it directly from the PLC output relay on the Allin1DC (traditionally OUT2). If the lube unit requires 240VAC, I like to use an intervening ice cube relay so that I can switch both legs.

You will want to add a Quencharc across the lube pump motor. See the Centroid components page linked above.

If you install a pneumatic solenoid valve with a 120VAC coil (or, for that matter, a 24VDC coil) you can control it directly from another PLC output relay on the Allin1DC (traditionally OUT4).

The Allin1DC can also control the 3-phase motor starter for the flood coolant pump, should you decide to use it after all.

Yes, you could replace the spindle motor reversing contactor set with a VFD. You do not need a spindle encoder to have programmable spindle speed through a VFD. The VFD controls speed by varying the output frequency, and does not depend on any type of added feedback. Buy a Yaskawa V1000, or an Automation Direct GS3 or GS2, or a Delta VFD-B or C2000. Or, if you are a glutton for punishment, buy the cheapest Chinese drive you can find.

If there is not already one in place, you will want to install a switch or sensor under the back gear lever, to signal the PLC when you shift the head into back gear. This will allow the PLC to run the motor in the correct direction, and (if applicable) at the correct speed, regardless of gear range.

If you do switch to a VFD, you ideally will want to remove the vari-speed sheaves and install single-ratio pulleys.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Marc is spot on with his answers. He is one of the most experience Centroid installers.

My advice stay away from the Chinese VFD's Go with AT LEAST a GS2 if not a GS3 from Automationdirect.com. The latter is a sensorless vector drive.

Some guidance on a knee mill All in One DC conversion can be found by following my video series on YouTube.

Lastly FOLLOW the All in One DC Installation Manual STEP BY STEP. If you get stuck at one of the steps, come here, let us know where you are at and what you are hung up on. Be sure to post a CURRENT report each time. (F7 Utilities, F7 Create Report)
and FOLLOW the Centroid All in One DC schematic, you'll have very few problems.

Take your time.....invest the money, "Buy once, cry once" Looks like you have a nice mill there and it will be more capable once you work through the conversion.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC11: No

Post by tblough »

Reeltime273 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:31 pm
I have also been told that Bridgeport's are very difficult to install a spindle encoder, has anyone ever
done this?
Mark - the spindle encoder is a tricky one. There are a few ways you can get an encoder connected that will give you the spindle speed when not in back gear. This is usually enough since most of the rigid tapping and feed per tooth cutting is done in high range anyway, but if you want to do those things regardless of whether back gear is engaged or not, then adding an encoder requires some major surgery.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1944&hilit=bridgep ... le+encoder

There might be other ways to accomplish this, but this was the only way I could figure it out without putting something on the spindle nose.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage

Search Elrod Machine Rigid tapping adapter. Basically it is a tubular spacer/extension that goes into the the spindle to which a timing belt pulley is installed. The spacer is loctited in place, and there is a roll pin on top of the spindle that engages the spacer to drive it.
I am unsure if Dwayne Elrod is still producing it on his own as he recently retired. dwayneDOTelrodATgmailDOTcom

The enclosure houses this pulley and allows for a traditional encoder to be mounted and belted to the spindle timing pulley. The housing is rigid enough where the lid supports the power drawbar. Drawbar has to be lengthened.

I had the opportunity to work on one. Nicely executed.

The other option is if you can get a quick change tool adapter that stays in the spindle so you can belt an encoder to the other end, in a similar fashion as above.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Note again that the spindle encoder is not required for spindle speed control; it is only required for display of actual spindle speed (vs. the default display of commanded spindle speed), and for rigid tapping.

Actual-speed display and rigid tapping will work with the Elrod design, even in back gear. You need to set bit 4 (value +16) in Parameter 36 to enable gear-range compensation. If you do that, then rigid tapping in back gear is restricted to a single pass: you cannot do peck tapping or re-tap a hole. That is because the index pulse will not be synchronized with tool rotation.
martyscncgarage

Marc is correct. Only good the encoder does for you is if you do rigid tapping. (Thanks for clarifying that Marc)
Control will still control a VFD through its Analog output.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Reeltime273
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Reeltime273 »

The VFD will be installed in conjunction on a 2J variable speed Bridgeport Head, once VFD is
installed, will I still have the capability of my high/low speeds and will this cause any
premature wear or any additional maintenance to my mill?

Once system is up and running, I will be utilizing my cad/cam system to program, occasionally
I run my machine is manual mode, hopefully CNC control will act like a DRO at that point.
Also, will I need to install and additional rotary or on/off switches or a remote
control panel to control VFD speeds? What are most doing in this case?
martyscncgarage

Reeltime273 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:57 pm The VFD will be installed in conjunction on a 2J variable speed Bridgeport Head, once VFD is
installed, will I still have the capability of my high/low speeds and will this cause any
premature wear or any additional maintenance to my mill?

Once system is up and running, I will be utilizing my cad/cam system to program, occasionally
I run my machine is manual mode, hopefully CNC control will act like a DRO at that point.
Also, will I need to install and additional rotary or on/off switches or a remote
control panel to control VFD speeds? What are most doing in this case?
You put a switch on your hi/low lever yes it can be tied to the control.
You will want to let the control co tell the spindle speed.
You will want to set the head speed about 1:1 and leave it there. Calibrate the spindle speed with the VFD. Then
turn the spindle off and on through the control. Either automatically with M3/M4 and S word commands or manually.
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC11: No

Post by tblough »

Tooting my own horn here, but here's a VS to single speed VFD conversion:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1968
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.