CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: '93 Haas VF-1 retrofit

Post by martyscncgarage »

Good you can reset the drive.
I have an email into DMM about not resetting that solid red LED. I have motors mounted in my FADAL. Should have axis moving next week.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BASE
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900810
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by BASE »

It started out that way. At some point it changed to solid. The last time it was flashing and still wouldn’t clear.
BASE

Post by BASE »

Good luck. I’m guessing you would probably have this sorted out quicker than me but hopefully you won’t have to.
BASE

Post by BASE »

I've been running it with logic and motor power on all the time, and just the Oak controlling the enable line. Since I've sorted out the homing and set software limits the drives haven't had any errors to clear. It will still clear an encoder error if I unplug that cable and plug it in. I ran it for about 3hrs last night, some simple looping code and then quite a bit of playing around to get the home switches moved away from the encoder mark (I think 5 tries to pass the system test). I guess if I crash the machine I will just have to open the cabinet and cycle the breaker(s).

I don't think I'm done tuning the servos but they seem to work surprisingly well as they are. It surprised me to see the little servo move the z-axis as easily as it does.

Low lube errors have been annoying me since I've started playing with it. The HAAS uses a pressure switch on the lube line to determine if the system is working, rather than a low level switch. I need to do something to check that it hasn't stayed low longer than the pump cycle time? I'm thinking I can use param 179 set to the cycle time of the pump (or a little more), and something like this:

Code: Select all

;=============================================================================
                        LubeUsePumpTimersStage
;=============================================================================
IF SV_PROGRAM_RUNNING THEN SET Lube_O

IF SV_STOP THEN RST Lube_O

; If lube pressure has just gone low then set timer and set low lube bit.

IF !LubeOK_I && Lube_O && !LowLube_M 

THEN LubeM_T = LubeM_W, SET LubeM_T, SET LowLube_M, LubeAccumTime_W = 0

; If lube pressure has continued to be low then add elapsed time to

; accumulated time and reset timer

IF !LubeOK_I && Lube_O && LowLube_M && !LowLubePD_PD

THEN LubeAccumTime_W = LubeAccumTime_W + LubeM_T, RST LubeM_T, SET LubeM_T

; Check to see if lube pressure has been low for more than param 179 specified

; time, if so, set lube fault

IF LubeAccumTime_W > LubeM_W THEN (LowLubePD_PD), LubeAccumTime_W = 0

; Reset low lube bit if pressure is detected

IF LubeOK_I THEN RST LowLube_M, RST LubeM_T

ETA: I had to edit that a bit. It was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work as soon as I ran it. I'm still not clear on the
IF LubeAccumTime_W > LubeM_W THEN (LowLubePD_PD) expression. It seems to only evaluate once. Maybe the one shot has something to do with that? The LubeAccumTime_W variable keeps getting larger, but the expression is only evaluated as true once. I guess I have some reading to do...

Appreciate any feedback from you guys that know this PLC stuff, as I don't. I guess it's easy enough to compile it and see if it works.

I'm thinking of a similar type of logic to add to code for my tool release. This machine uses a precharge solenoid, so I need to activate it and set a timer to control the delay between it and the tool release.
Last edited by BASE on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No

First maybe this tech bulletin will help you:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/171.pdf

Second, I got my FADAL TRM up and moving under OAK and DMM DYN4 control yesterday. No faults, all "seems" well so far.
Today I hope to run a program through it and let it go through its motions.
I am hopeful that Oak and DYN4's becomes a good combination for entry level. I do like the fact that DMM makes NEMA frame motors (Adapted from their metric varients with imperial size shafts)

I posted a picture of my control cabinet. No Line reactors, One large Estop contactor and ONE EMI filter, I branch off it to feed logic to the 3 drives.
Logic power goes hot as soon as the control powers up. I follwed the OAK schematic pretty closely.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
BASE

Post by BASE »

Good to hear Marty. I just saw your update. I guess you aren't seeing the problem that I do when you have motor power removed from the drives, but logic on? That is going to be a really nice machine.

I used the Centroid s14804 schematic as a starting point with this thing. I never gave much thought to the one vs individual contactors. I can't think of any reason to have 3 now... The line reactors were just a bad idea. I don't know why DMM insists on them. I've now read numerous accounts of people installing them, but none where they solved any problems.

I have wired around them, even routed everything through one 40amp contactor, but all with the same results. The drives just don't seem to like losing motor power for any amount of time with the logic still powered. I really don't like the idea of not being able to kill the power to the motors (maybe that's just irrational?). I think I will go back to playing around with using the 24vac side of my e-stop to control both logic and power (bypassing the Oak relay). DMM wanted me to wire everything thought the e-stop but the Oak sees the encoders go down with the logic power and won't let me reset the e-stop output.
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No

BASE wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:21 am Good to hear Marty. I just saw your update. I guess you aren't seeing the problem that I do when you have motor power removed from the drives, but logic on? That is going to be a really nice machine.

I used the Centroid s14804 schematic as a starting point with this thing. I never gave much thought to the one vs individual contactors. I can't think of any reason to have 3 now... The line reactors were just a bad idea. I don't know why DMM insists on them. I've now read numerous accounts of people installing them, but none where they solved any problems.

I have wired around them, even routed everything through one 40amp contactor, but all with the same results. The drives just don't seem to like losing motor power for any amount of time with the logic still powered. I really don't like the idea of not being able to kill the power to the motors (maybe that's just irrational?). I think I will go back to playing around with using the 24vac side of my e-stop to control both logic and power (bypassing the Oak relay). DMM wanted me to wire everything thought the e-stop but the Oak sees the encoders go down with the logic power and won't let me reset the e-stop output.
I will do some more testing today and see if I can recreate your problem, but yesterday I was hitting E-stop and removing motor power without issue.
Today I should be able to run a program.
The gotcha I ran into yesterday was those giant 90 degree MS connectors on my X axis. The motor travels with the table, and the connectors will hit the saddle. This is a case where I need NO MS connectors and their more traditional pigtails with molex.I can heat shrink them to protect them. FADAL is an open machine. Anyone using flood on an open machine deserves to get splashed and clean up the mess!
Mesa, AZ
BASE

Post by BASE »

I had to go with the molex connector motor just for that reason. Which reminds me that I need to get some larger shrink wrap to seal those things up before I get too far along here.
jebronson
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by jebronson »

Hi Marty. I am glad that you are not having issues with the DMM drives. I have a Haas TM-1 and have not selected the drives yet. But I was staying away from these drives because of the amount of problems that I been seeing here and on other posts.

But, seeing that you are not having problems, I may give them consideration.

Base, Good to see that you are getting somewhere with them.

Jim B
BASE

Post by BASE »

I have mostly given up on getting them to work per the Oak schematic. I have both logic and power routed through the contactors. The contactors are in series with the 24vac side of the switch and not connected to the Oak relay. They seem to be fine like this. I get encoder errors during e-stop but the absolute encoders don’t seem to be losing position so thats really a pretty minor annoyance at this time.

Thankfully I haven’t had any other problems at all while running them. Ive got a few hours on them now with no faults or other issues. I haven’t got them tuned yet but they are moving everything, to include the head, around fine at 500ipm surprisingly smoothly.

In summary: Not impressed with the enable/control issue but all in all they are functioning well for their price point.