Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0818141095
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 411 Full power without motion

Post by johnballard »

Interesting. All 3 motors have the same label. The resistance of the Z servo is way higher than the other two. The Y servo did exhibit some cogging when turned by hand so I would have expected it to be the one with different resistance, but it's the same as X.

Thanks for your help Marty! Awesome help!

John.
Lagunmatic 250
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

johnballard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 pm Interesting. All 3 motors have the same label. The resistance of the Z servo is way higher than the other two. The Y servo did exhibit some cogging when turned by hand so I would have expected it to be the one with different resistance, but it's the same as X.

John.
Please take an overall shot of the All in One DC with a sticky note pointing to the burnt component. It may help Centroid with a cost estimate.

Double check the resistance of that Z axis motor. Discuss it with Centroid. It was one of their motors was it not?

What you don't want to do is have the AIO DC repaired and roach it again because you have a bad motor.

Marc might have more to say about that reading. It is concerning that the resistance measurement is not the same as the other two. If they are all indeed the same make/model motor. Retest? Check the cable going to the motor.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
AcornJosh
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by AcornJosh »

Contact support for an RMA. That is a transformer. I would assume that axis is blown. Every component on that axis will be replaced.

Min repair cost is $375. That is what I charge for a high side axis repair. If it has other issues or takes many cycles of repair and testing, the cost might be $450 or $525ish

Usually allin1dc repairs are pretty quick however with current events, I'm not sure how long this will take.
martyscncgarage

AcornJosh wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:40 pm Contact support for an RMA. That is a transformer. I would assume that axis is blown. Every component on that axis will be replaced.

Min repair cost is $375. That is what I charge for a high side axis repair. If it has other issues or takes many cycles of repair and testing, the cost might be $450 or $525ish

Usually allin1dc repairs are pretty quick however with current events, I'm not sure how long this will take.
Josh, can you tell which axis it is from the photo?
So he can check the wiring in the cabinet?
Mesa, AZ
johnballard
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by johnballard »

Marty, it's the Y-axis - the servo that exhibits a little cogging. That concerns me a bit. It turns like a stepper motor.

I have decided to re-do all the wiring to the servos. As you mentioned, the Lagun 250 is a good solid machine and deserves to be rebuilt. Next time I chime in here hopefully I'll have a very different story ;-)

Once again Marty, your voluntary contributions are right-on and speedy. I appreciate your time and thank you.

John.

p.s. Now, with the nation effectively shut down due to Social Distancing caused by impending COVID-19 spread, it's time to see what Amazon & Banggood have to help me, and order some take-out while it's free.
Lagunmatic 250
martyscncgarage

johnballard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 pm Interesting. All 3 motors have the same label. The resistance of the Z servo is way higher than the other two. The Y servo did exhibit some cogging when turned by hand so I would have expected it to be the one with different resistance, but it's the same as X.

John.
Marc Leonard of CNCSNW also deserves much credit for the time he takes to help others on the forum. He has YEARS of experience with Centroid controls. His website has a wealth of information about Centroid controls and he leaves it there to help others. www.http://cncsnw.com/

TBlough (Tom) is another sharp contributor when it comes to Centroid's servo controls. Centroid Tech support staff is also monitoring. The forum users have a great support team in my opinion. All it takes from users is providing good clear information, pictures, fresh reports and having some basic electrical/electronic skills to get through.

Collectively we can all help each other. I try to only chime in with what what I am comfortable sharing. I don't want to provide misinformation.

I would encourage you to find out why that one servo motor is not reading like the others. I would probably take the readings DIRECTLY at the motors, disconnecting the home run power cables back to the cabinet. It would not hurt you to inspect the connections in the end caps. I am reminded you have Baldo DC Brush Servos.

It is imperative that proper baseline PID values be used, that the correct current setting be made on All in One DC, then the servos be tuned on the machine. Provided the CNC PC has Internet connection, Marc maybe able to remote in and help you with this, Centroid may as well, for a reasonable fee. I will not speak for him, but you might PM him. Improper PID or tuning could damage the All in One DC again.

Also, keep a copy of the report on a USB. In the .zip file is a file called REPORT.TXT it contains your machine's parameters (set by the previous integrator) print it out for reference and save the file.

Me, I would send AIO DC in for repair, I would use the most appropriate schematic for your machine and probably start from scratch, very closely following the All in One DC Installation manual and using my video series as a visual guide. Together, you will be assured things are wired correctly, and stand a better chance for a successful integration.

You might reach out to Baldor with your findings on that motor once you re-check at the motor terminals to see what they advise. Marc might have more to add when he has time.

Good luck, post a build thread if you like and feel free to ask questions when you get stuck.
We look forward to a video seeing your success and the machine making chips!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
johnballard
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by johnballard »

Hi Marty,

Took the Z servo off the machine and measured high resistance. Will reach out to Baldor/ABB to find out if it needs refurbishing. These servos are not cheap. If I have to scrap one, what would you recommend for a replacement?

Josh mentioned a test for the MOSFETs. There are 4 out of the 12 FETs that might be damaged, with different gate to source voltages (0.7 vs 0.3v). This would imply a hefty repair bill for the AIOdc.

I need your advice. The Gecko G320x has a current rating equal to my servos. I have experience with Arduino mega. Would that be a good combination? The cost of new components would be certainly less than fixing the AIOdc. If I do have an issue with one of the servos and burn out a servo drive, replacing a single G320x is less costly than repairing the AIOdc again...
Lagunmatic 250
martyscncgarage

johnballard wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:08 am Hi Marty,

Took the Z servo off the machine and measured high resistance. Will reach out to Baldor/ABB to find out if it needs refurbishing. These servos are not cheap. If I have to scrap one, what would you recommend for a replacement?

Josh mentioned a test for the MOSFETs. There are 4 out of the 12 FETs that might be damaged, with different gate to source voltages (0.7 vs 0.3v). This would imply a hefty repair bill for the AIOdc.

I need your advice. The Gecko G320x has a current rating equal to my servos. I have experience with Arduino mega. Would that be a good combination? The cost of new components would be certainly less than fixing the AIOdc. If I do have an issue with one of the servos and burn out a servo drive, replacing a single G320x is less costly than repairing the AIOdc again...
You would be going backwards if you abandoned the AIO DC. You can find used servo motors on ebay.
If you were going to abandon the control, Look at Centroid Acorn (Step and Direction output) and closed loop AC Servos.

Go look at success stories forum. A user just refitted his Tree mill with Acorn.

I'm interested to hear what you decide to do.....me, I would probably send the AIO DC to Centroid for evaluation and if that motor is bad, proably replace it and check/rewire the machine.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
slodat
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by slodat »

Which Baldor servos do you have? I have a few sitting around..

I'm the guy that Marty is referring to..
martyscncgarage

slodat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 am Which Baldor servos do you have? I have a few sitting around..

I'm the guy that Marty is referring to..
Second page he has a picture of the label.
Marty
Mesa, AZ